Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

After changing for dinner, I had a couple of drinks in the bars on Deck 8, by far the most amazing improvement over the Epic’s equivalent Deck 7, which was nice itself. This is much more stylish; the decor seems richer and more elaborate and of course the whole Waterfront concept is brilliant, and without doubt Getaway’s biggest selling point to me, along with the Vibe. Using what would traditionally have been a promenade deck for outdoor comfy seating as well as alfresco drinking and dining from various bars and eateries along its length, inside and out, is inspired; and at a stroke eliminates the problem on Epic of a lack of connection with the sea. Many folk chose to lounge around here most of the day (and often well into the evening) rather than go up to the deckchairs on the top decks. Many photos to come later in the review...

Off then to the Illusionarium Dinner Show. I arrived 20 minutes before the start time of 8.45 and most folk were already seated and had ordered. I had paid for Premium Seating; recommended in order that you can see under the concave dome over the stage. I was taken to a long table directly adjacent to the front of the stage and I was seated on the end, facing along the length of the table. My only fear being so close to the stage was being coerced into participating, which is just not my sort of thing really... Actually I am pretty sure they want willing participants and picked-up clearly on my non-verbal communication each time they sought volunteers (folded arms and a scowl... :D only joking! A bit more subtle than that...). Anyway I needn’t have worried; no pressure...

No menu was offered. It was the same as Cirque Dreams. The starter was Proscuitto with Mozzarella and Tomatoes, but this was more like quality cooked deli ham and not the raw cured texture of last time and I preferred it and I enjoyed the starter overall. I knew I wouldn’t enjoy the main of Steak and Shrimp, so it was either going to be shrimp only or vegetarian. The veggie option was Eggplant Parmigiana, which is a favourite of mine, so no hesitation there... This was a much more elaborate version than served in the MDR; many layers thicker and with a firmer texture without being in any way raw or crunchy to the bite. It was really exceptionally good. From what I saw, the steak and shrimp seemed to look better than on the Epic too, and enjoyed by most around me. The trio of little desserts were as disappointing as last time – looked nice but didn’t taste of much to me.

I have to say sorry no pictures. They made announcements about no photography. Although I could have pushed my luck as regards photos of only the food, the fact that I was sharing a table also deterred me and the lighting where I was sat was less than ideal. I was also a little flustered at the rushed service because of my “late” arrival. All this whilst attempting to purchase the Viva Vino Wine Package that had changed recently and about which the servers were clueless, telling me I had to choose all six bottles there and then. Eventually I plumped for the Connoisseur Package, because my Pinot Noir was missing not only from the Aficianado package, but altogether; and I liked the fact that Conundrum white was included, and that with the top package, the door was open to more options in finding a red that I liked, even if it meant choosing from one of the less expensive packages.

As for the show itself, well it all takes place in the interestingly-decorated custom-built “Illusionarium” theatre, designed to host just this type of show. I am not going to attempt to explain it because much as I enjoyed it, I came away thinking “what happened to the auction?”... Anyway I wouldn’t want to spoil it. I like the host who acted as MC and his comedy style. The Master Magicians who performed were all top international, highly-skilled magicians. Even if you think you know roughly how most of the illusions are done, there will be one or two that will baffle for sure. All I can say was I found it entertaining. If you absolutely don’t like magic then obviously there is no reason to go to this show. Overall I thought it was value for money because on this occasion the food was better than MDR food and, without charging, I doubt NCL could afford to put together such a big cast of top magicians.

The corridor to the auditorium...

IllusionariumEntrance-7321_zpsda6b327a.jpg

As you enter to the right of the main doors...

IllusionariumEntrance-7318_zps792dba8f.jpg

The stage as I entered auditorium...

Illusionarium2-7303_zps2214fcb9.jpg

To the left of the stage...

Illusionariummisc-7317_zpsdc743c04.jpg

The dome over the stage, a focus of dazzling visual effects...

IllusionariumDomeCeiling-7301_zpsebb0e1b5.jpg

They say work expands to fill the available time... Day 1 finished 3 minutes after midnight! :)

Tomorrow I will post the new Viva Vino wine list and make some observations about what is on it; and what isn't.

I will start on Day 2 which includes Lunch in Savor again, a naughty snack from Ocean Blue's takeaway window on the Waterfront and dinner at Le Bistro, all with photos. It will also have some snaps taken around the open decks.

Like today, tomorrow is a working day so I may not get it all done. Please bear with me.

Regards

megacruiser

Following! Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. You have actually made me reconsider Vibe. I am sailing this fall with my sister and her husband. Would it be allowed to try to get a cabana and "share" our time there or do you think it might be frowned upon? I am definitely not a rule breaker but since we are sailing with extended family it might be a fun treat and a little easier on the pocketbook. Can't wait to read more. It will make my wait easier to bear.

eagerly following and I do so truly appreciate your photos, reviews and sharing your experiences.

I was very grateful for your previous review on the Epic (as we will be sailing on her soon) and your travel insight will surely be an invaluable asset

Many thanks for your feedback. I hope my review proves useful.

Regards

megacruiser

I have a very strange 9 year old who is more of a foodie than I am. Actually, I am not one at all since I am happy with burgers and mac n cheese, lol. He likes mussels, rare meats, sushi, lamb, etc. He would absolutely love something like that. Noting his interests, I am trying to encourage it.

And since he And he's a very well behaved, somewhat introverted kid, adults tend to fawn over him. But I imagine this event would be adult only. Probably the last thing anyone would want is to pay $99 for a meal and have kids being kids there. I just couldn't find any info online.

That's interesting but as you say, he is probably too young to attend. It's a shame if he is so interested...

Regards

megacruiser

Following.....

Great review so far. New to NCL , travelling in July, really looking forward to it.appreciate the time you're taking to create the review. Photos are great😃

Many thanks for commenting and following.

Regards

megacruiser

Another follower. I'll be sailing solo in May. Your pictures of the studio lounge and your comparison to the Epic is what I needed. Sailed solo on the Epic last year. Keep it coming

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

My pleasure. Hope it helps you. Getaway certainly doesn't beat the Epic in quite a few areas, but it does have some very strong selling points for me.

Regards

megacruiser

Following!

We are booked on Getaway in October- our first time on NCL. Thank you for providing valuable information & such great photographs. I look forward to the rest of your review!

Many thanks for such words of encouragement.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Following your review! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. This is my favorite part of CC. I love seeing all of the pictures, menu photos, and detailed explanations of these cruises. Thanks again and I can't wait to see the rest!

I am really delighted that you are following and enjoy my review so much.

Regards

megacruiser

I am loving your review! I got off the Epic in January and LOVED it and am sailing the getaway in a little over a week. I'm loving the comparison between the two. I also love that your including the dailies and the menus! It makes the review even better :) thanks for all your hard work so we can enjoy!

Thanks for commenting. My main camera is a Fuji XE2 compact camera. Much less bulky than a DSLR.

Cheers

megacruiser

Great job. You have a good eye.

I am trying to decide which camera to take on the Jewel in April.

Thanks.

A sincere thanks to apmecruise, Crzy4my2, nimiq, peppygirl, Travelgirl1227, MC40528, y-town, Marine1986, TravelingT, C-line, MJKennedy and all who have taken the time to let me know that they are following my review. It really helps me to know if it is of interest.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Following for sure! Love the thoroughness in which you write. Incredibly entertaining. Thank you so much for taking the time. My husband and I are not fond of crowds so we are hesitant to sail on the bigger ships. We have been on the Star and never felt crowded or had to wait in long lines but we always wondered if that was because we were in a suite. I would be interested in hearing your take on the "crowded" feeling.

Hello annietownsend,

Thanks for the compliment and I am delighted if you find it entertaining. In my experience, most megaships are very crowded around the main pool deck and, sorry to say, Getaway was noticeable worse then Epic in this regard, as it has a very small and enclosed main pool area and no additional pool in Spice H2O.

I suppose they build new ships higher and higher but unless they make the ship correspondingly wider, more passengers have to fit in to much the same amount of open deck space. This is why I was amazed that Oasis of the Seas that holds over 6,000 passengers felt less crowded to me than some vessels half that size. Of course it is extremely wide and has four good sized pools on the main pool deck.

You can also be aware of crowding at peak times in the evening when shows come out, or waiting for elevators. I honestly have felt more crowded on other ships because Freestyle and Specialty Dining tends to spread the passenger flow better.

Anyway if you are not in a suite, my number one recommendation is to buy the Vibe pass or even the Posh pass on Epic, although there were some negatives relating to noise from the band on Epic. Getaway also has the fantastic Waterfront area on which you can relax in uncrowded comfort day or night.

The big benefit of huge ships is there tends to be more entertainment on offer and generally more options of how to pass your time.

Kind regards

megacruiser

I'm following, too! Thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed review. I really appreciate the dining reviews and can't wait to hear about your experience at the Chef's Table.

We'll be on the Getaway in April and sailed on the Breakaway last year, so while we're familiar with the layout of the ship, it's great to hear opinions about which restaurants are best on THIS ship. I know they're basically the same, but I've noticed some varations in food quality in the same speciality restaurant from one ship to another.