Ultimate Beverage Package

Squirty27

I believe you have to wait 15 minutes between purchasing drinks while on the UBP so technically max of 96 drinks in a day (4x15 minute periods per hour x 24 hours). :D

First I've heard of a waiting period.

Considering that the barstaff are able to give you more than one drink at a time (which they do when they know everyone has the plan, but just charge the drinks to one account for ease), this isn't actually applied if it exists.

You don't have to wait at all between purchasing drinks, although people on this forum like to say that you do. I've bought myself 2 drinks at once multiple times, even had waiters bring me 2 drinks at once for a theater show.

Also, sometimes they put the sticker on your card before you board. Last year we sailed twice from Miami, and once the stickers were on our card when handed to us in the terminal. The other time we had to find the sticker table on board.

And, just like on land or if you were purchasing each drink, they will shut you off if you are obviously drunk. They have liability for over serving. Otherwise, you can drink as much as you want. Last cruise on the Dawn a small group of 4 was shut off at the Bimini Bar and Grill one evening for too much alcohol. Not happy but security came and sent them to their rooms.

You are correct - Trip - have never purchased it - we are getting it free on our cruise this summer on the Breakaway.

Last year we only purchased one alcoholic drink the entire cruise - so I am not to worried about getting two at a time, or waiting a certain amount of minutes in between. :-) I am looking forward to a couple of tooty-fruity drinks this year. Although the one drink that I did order (pina colada) at the bar by the pool next to where you get towels was not very good at all.

Thanks everyone for your insight everyone. :-)

I don't mean to be stupid here but my package was the promo so it was free. Am I going to be charged 15% for gratuity on the package? That like $150 for the two of us. We are not big drinkers at all but thought it was more bang for your buck than the $100 credit.

We are new to Norwegian, for the UBP as part of the cruise and are wondering what the average drinks prices are? Like beer and mixed drinks? Are there special drinks of the day? Are the tips on the drinks added to you onboard account or do you tip the server? So different from anything we have done before, we want to be prepared for whatever comes our way. Thanks in advance

Even though you have the UBP you still sign a check for each drink. Unless you add a tip onto the check, the check is zeroed out and there is no charge to your room. If you add a tip, the only charge you will have is the extra tip you put on, but not the 15%.

LIST OF PRICES http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

I don't mean to be stupid here but my package was the promo so it was free. Am I going to be charged 15% for gratuity on the package? That like $150 for the two of us. We are not big drinkers at all but thought it was more bang for your buck than the $100 credit.

No. Gratuity is included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a glitch in the way NCL have implemented the UBP when there is a requirement to add taxes

On EU itineraries where there is VAT(some full trips , some just in a coupe of ports) the VAT is not removed so you still get charged it.

VAT should not be charged on zero cost items.

I thing the same issue for some US cruises but the way the tax work might make that OK.

There is a glitch in the way NCL have implemented the UBP when there is a requirement to add taxes

On EU itineraries where there is VAT(some full trips , some just in a coupe of ports) the VAT is not removed so you still get charged it.

VAT should not be charged on zero cost items.

I thing the same issue for some US cruises but the way the tax work might make that OK.

Can you expand on that a bit.

Are the staff aware that this is a glitch? Is getting the charge removed easy, or do you need to give up time to argue it?

If your EUROPEAN cruise does not leave EU waters by visiting at least one non EU port VAT can be charged onboard on all purchases. this varies by country you leave from and cruise line.

Spain while ship is docked, in Spain, an additional VAT is added to drinks prices which is charged to your account.

even if you have the UDP. similar to Miami sales tax.

if the ship remains in EU waters the VAT will be added to your account for the whole cruise.

Non eu NORTH AFRICA, TURKEY, CANARY ISLANDS, KOTOR MONTENEGRO GIBRALTER are the best known.

check with your cruise line as it can be 20% on some purchases out of Italy.

on our recent Canary island cruise vat was added while the ship was docked in Barcelona and Malaga. hope it helps j

If your EUROPEAN cruise does not leave EU waters by visiting at least one non EU port VAT can be charged onboard on all purchases. this varies by country you leave from and cruise line.

Spain while ship is docked, in Spain, an additional VAT is added to drinks prices which is charged to your account.

even if you have the UDP. similar to Miami sales tax.

if the ship remains in EU waters the VAT will be added to your account for the whole cruise.

Non eu NORTH AFRICA, TURKEY, CANARY ISLANDS, KOTOR MONTENEGRO GIBRALTER are the best known.

check with your cruise line as it can be 20% on some purchases out of Italy.

on our recent Canary island cruise vat was added while the ship was docked in Barcelona and Malaga. hope it helps j

Thats the problem VAT should not be charged on free stuff which the UBP drinks are.

It is an implimentation issue.

Hi

I'm totally new :)

just wanted to ask does anybody know for sure if I will be charged the tax on my drinks using the UBP when cruising from Europe

we have just booked for jan on a ten night Barcelona to the canary islands cruise and the package was free for each guest as part of the booking promo

I don't mid paying the tax just trying to figure out if it will apply all through out the cruise or just for when we're in Barcelona and Malaga

and is the tax 20 % ??

thanks in advance

Edited by Jofishes

Hi

I'm totally new :)

just wanted to ask does anybody know for sure if I will be charged the tax on my drinks using the UBP when cruising from Europe

we have just booked for jan on a ten night Barcelona to the canary islands cruise and the package was free for each guest as part of the booking promo

I don't mid paying the tax just trying to figure out if it will apply all through out the cruise or just for when we're in Barcelona and Malaga

and is the tax 20 % ??

thanks in advance

It's at 10%

Total tax for us on the Spirit canaries in Jan was around $10.

(was not going to argue over that so paid it)

Taxed on drinks in BCN and Malaga upto about a couple of hours after sailaway.

if eating early ask the server to scan the drinks at the end of the meal they may miss the cutoff.

I believe you have to wait 15 minutes between purchasing drinks while on the UBP so technically max of 96 drinks in a day (4x15 minute periods per hour x 24 hours). :D

We had a 15 minute restriction on Holland America's crummy beverage package, but not on Norwegians.

Thats the problem VAT should not be charged on free stuff which the UBP drinks are.

It is an implimentation issue.

It's NOT free. It's zeroed off. Therefore tax is charged where applicable.

We sailed on the Dawn last month and Louisiana state tax was charged while we were sailing away down the Mississippi River. This totaled less than $5, so not worth questioning. It's the same for European cruises in that where tax is charged, it is not included in the package and added to your room charges.

It's such a minor charge compared to what you would be paying without the UBP, it's not worth worrying about!

To answer the gratuity question, 15% is added to the check even though it's not charged to you, so there is no need to add an additional tip unless you want to. The check should have UBP written on the top (I added it when it was missing) and there should be no charge to you (apart from the aforementioned tax).