Quantum - Why Only 2 Elevator Banks...............

nycruise

Considering the size of the ship it surely needed 3 elevator banks, Forward, Center and Aft. Ships half the size of the Quantum have 3 elevator banks. We had an aft cabin and had to walk nearly to the center of the ship to catch an elevator. If we were going down to Two70 or up to the Windjammer (both in the aft) we then had to again walk almost half the ship instead of just a quick elevator ride up or down.

I know the answer to my original question relates to profit margins, since the space taken up by an additional elevator bank is now used for cabins and money generating public space. I guess the days of it being about the guest are long gone.:rolleyes:

Considering the size of the ship it surely needed 3 elevator banks, Forward, Center and Aft. Ships half the size of the Quantum have 3 elevator banks. We had an aft cabin and had to walk nearly to the center of the ship to catch an elevator. If we were going down to Two70 or up to the Windjammer (both in the aft) we then had to again walk almost half the ship instead of just a quick elevator ride up or down.

I know the answer to my original question relates to profit margins, since the space taken up by an additional elevator bank is now used for cabins and money generating public space. I guess the days of it being about the guest are long gone.:rolleyes:

Radiance class only has mid and forward elevators. There are no elevators aft.

Radiance class only has mid and forward elevators. There are no elevators aft.

To add to my post above, all RCI ships have only 2 sets of elevators none of which are located all the way aft. This includes Oasis and Allure which are the largest ships in the fleet.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were on the Royal Princess last year and it's about 30,000 tons smaller than the Quantum and had 3 elevator banks. As a matter of fact all of their ships regardless of size seem to have the extra elevators. Same for Carnival & NCL, the 3 lines we have cruised most.

This includes Oasis and Allure which are the largest ships in the fleet.

That was going to be my comment too. If Oasis and Allure get by just fine with 2 elevator banks, no reason why the smaller Quantum Class wouldn't.

It's certainly a valid opinion to have that there should be an additional elevator bank, but that just isn't how RCI does it. Other lines do it differently. All of the Carnival ships I've sailed, notably, have an extra elevator bank.

Edited by Dave85

Choose a cabin closer to the elevators. On the Quantum we had cabin 10650 which was 10-155 ft from the aft elevators. Also, you mentioned Princess lines, the questions, how many elevators does they have. RCL has 24 (6X4) pax elevators.

Choose a cabin closer to the elevators. On the Quantum we had cabin 10650 which was 10-155 ft from the aft elevators. Also, you mentioned Princess lines, the questions, how many elevators does they have. RCL has 24 (6X4) pax elevators.

It's not a question of the number of elevators but the placement and the distance you have to walk.

As to getting a cabin closer to the elevators, that's not always possible unless you book many months before the cruise, close to the elevators is a popular location and sells out fast.

I think when a ship gets to be a certain size it's time to redesign.

Or sailing on a line that has 3 banks of elevators. I have stayed in many aft cabins and enjoy the extra exercise that they bring. As others have posted there are always cabins that are closer to the elevator. If you are booking last minute you just have to accept it or move on.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Or sailing on a line that has 3 banks of elevators. I have stayed in many aft cabins and enjoy the extra exercise that they bring. As others have posted there are always cabins that are closer to the elevator. If you are booking last minute you just have to accept it or move on.

You may enjoy the extra exercise but that should be your choice not the cruise lines. I don't consider 3 months before "last minute" although I realize many book a year ahead.

Yeah, financial stability! :D

That is the question asked previously how many total elevators with 3 banks given the number of elevators on quantum or allure with only 2 banks?

If it is a deal breaker than you know 3 other cruise lines that meet your requirements

That is the question asked previously how many total elevators with 3 banks given the number of elevators on quantum or allure with only 2 banks?

If it is a deal breaker than you know 3 other cruise lines that meet your requirements

Not an issue of the number of elevators, just the placement. Add HAL to the list of lines that have 3 elevator banks.

Not a deal breaker but just one more issue added to the multitude of issues others have described regarding the Quantum.

Agree....the placement of the elevators are pretty poor on the Quantum. We only went to the CL once the entire cruise because it was such a long walk. My DH is mobility impaired and the one time we went we took his wheelchair....as we were out and about checking out the ship. His wheelchair is a narrow width and we barely made it past the steward's cleaning carts which are out in the hallway during cleaning time. The hallways on the Quantum also seem much narrower than on other ships.

Yes, the Quantum has 5 elevators at their two options, but I agree there should be better access toward the aft of the ship. JMO

You also have to remember that the elevators are placed where they will get the most usage. They are directly outside the Royal Theatre leading up to the Adult Solarium as well as directly outside the main dining rooms leading up to the Windjammer and SeaPlex. That is either end of the Royal Esplanade and both offer access to every floor in that location. Every ship has followed a similar design. Placing another set of elevators at the aft of the ship would require them to cut through the kitchens and FlowRider/RipCord area so you can't get off at those floors (since they need to be one deck higher than they offer access to you it would likely not even be able to reach the Windjammer, which it would have to open into the middle of anyway), and would really only give access based on the ships design to Two70º and the aft cabins. Nowhere near enough traffic to support the space being taken up or reducing the other elevator lobbies in size to add them to another location.

Having said that though, I'm not sure why they don't offer stairs, or even allow guests to use the emergency stair (I'm sure there are some) in the aft. It would make it much easier for people with a deck 7 cabin to reach Two70º.

Edited by DEIx15x8

Elevator wait times continue to remain long...not sure if it's the programing of them or just the usage. I know I got into an empty elevator yesterday with 3 floors already pressed on the board :confused: It was 12:30am and no kids in sight:confused:

I do notice that not many using stairs...lots getting on just for a floor or two...so maybe lazy people syndrome ....not sure.

Add Disney to the 3 elevator bank ships. Of the major cruise lines seems like only RCCL & Celebrity think 2 elevator banks are enough.;)

Never had a problem on Quantum. There are 6 elevators on the port side and 6 elevators on the starboard side mid-ship and 6 elevators forward. That's 18 elevators.

Having just returned from Allure, which is the largest ship in the fleet, there were the same number of elevators and we never had a problem.

Edited by cruisenfever

Never had a problem on Quantum. There are 6 elevators on the port side and 6 elevators on the starboard side mid-ship and 6 elevators forward. That's 18 elevators.

Having just returned from Allure, which is the largest ship in the fleet, there were the same number of elevators and we never had a problem.

You say you never had a problem, what does that mean? We never had a problem catching an elevator just getting to one. I don't know how old you are but others may have a problem based on age or physical abilities.

By the way, the Quantum is only 50 ft. shorter in length then the Allure, pretty much the same amount of walking for an elevator.

Again, 5 of the 7 major lines have 3 elevator banks, that tells me RCCL is not the norm.

I took a look at one of Carnivals ships and found the layout not appealing at all putting dining rooms and galleys at both ends of the ship or in the centre. Having to go up or down a deck just to get from one end of the ship to another did not do anything for me.

Bottom line is that Royal has decided to design their ships this way in order to incorporate some of the unique features that are found on their ships. Given that their ships sail at over 105% of capacity they have no reason to start modifying their design.

The choice therefore is up to you,

You can either choose to book earlier and get a better cabin selection or book on another cruise line whose layout better suites your needs.

Every cruise line cannot be everything to everyone and we all have choices to make in deciding with which line we will cruise with.

Happy sailing.