upgrades and cabins

bobbisailsolo

As the name indicates, the Port side will give you the best view of the ports, certainly the part where all the action is.

We got an upgrade to a higher deck, but only because our cabin bathroom flooded when we used the shower, otherwise I don't think that would have happened.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

As the name indicates, the Port side will give you the best view of the ports, certainly the part where all the action is.

We got an upgrade to a higher deck, but only because our cabin bathroom flooded when we used the shower, otherwise I don't think that would have happened.

So the port side is better in both directions?

http://www.hurtigruten.com/Global/Images/WIP/Ships/MS%20Midnattsol/NEW%20Deckplans%202014/Midnatsol-Deck-7.jpg

So are the even or odd numbered cabins the port side. I think I was told the odd... but that doesnt look right to me

So the port side is better in both directions?

http://www.hurtigruten.com/Global/Images/WIP/Ships/MS%20Midnattsol/NEW%20Deckplans%202014/Midnatsol-Deck-7.jpg

So are the even or odd numbered cabins the port side. I think I was told the odd... but that doesnt look right to me

I believe that Hurtigruten ships all dock with the port side at the quay, regardless of whether travelling North or South. I think the passenger and car ramps are all located on that side. Someone will correct that if I'm wrong.

Certainly, on Nordnorge all the odd numbered cabins were port side and even numbers on starboard side, with a mix of numbers for inside cabins.

Your link to Midnatsol also shows odd numbers on the port side.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

I believe that Hurtigruten ships all dock with the port side at the quay, regardless of whether travelling North or South. I think the passenger and car ramps are all located on that side. Someone will correct that if I'm wrong.

Certainly, on Nordnorge all the odd numbered cabins were port side and even numbers on starboard side, with a mix of numbers for inside cabins.

Your link to Midnatsol also shows odd numbers on the port side.

Thanks so much for the confirmation! I think I booked on the wrong side so I may change it, though in all honesty, I doubt I'll be in the cabin looking out the window much!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bobbisailsolo

No, this is right (except the MS Lofoten which will dock with either port or starboard side to the quay depending on the port).

It is not essential to have a cabin on the port side, although it is fun to have a look through the window during the night if you are woken up as the ship comes in port. But the scenery is nice on both side (and as you said Bobbisailsolo, you might not spend a lot of time in your cabin). But aren't you booked on a cabin with obstructed view? (maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else).

As for the upgrade : yes, it happens. I'm back from a trip on MS Nordlys and we were upgraded from a N cabin on deck 3 to a P cabin on deck 5 (seemingly because they were doing some work on some N cabins), and my travel companion had also been similarly upgraded on a previous journey (maybe she is the one with luck! ;) ).

Edited by SarniaLo

Yep, I did do an obstructed view, but I though maybe I could see a bit. I read on one of the boards somewhere that the obstructed view could have very little obstruction. I was also considering changing to an ocean view, a on a deck below.... but its odd none of the N catagory, of which there are quite a few, are available.. nor are the inside cabins. which seems odd to be for march 2016...Unless they just dont want to release them for singles?

I don't know about the Midnatsol, but I have seen quite a few of the obstructed view cabins on the MS Nordlys. Some of them indeed have only a little obstruction, but in some others you can only see the side of a lifeboat and a tiny bit of sky! ;) And it's difficult to tell from the deck plan.

Are you only looking on the website, or did you try calling the Hurtigruten representative? They are usually very helpful on the phone and they might tell you why you can't book a N cabin (I don't think they are already full that far in advance), and help you with that.

I don't know about the Midnatsol, but I have seen quite a few of the obstructed view cabins on the MS Nordlys. Some of them indeed have only a little obstruction, but in some others you can only see the side of a lifeboat and a tiny bit of sky! ;) And it's difficult to tell from the deck plan.

Are you only looking on the website, or did you try calling the Hurtigruten representative? They are usually very helpful on the phone and they might tell you why you can't book a N cabin (I don't think they are already full that far in advance), and help you with that.

I spoke with them today... Donna at Hurtigruten really had no idea why those cabins are no longer available. I'm thinking either... Maybe they are working on them? Or a large group booked ( which I'm hoping isn't the case)? Or they are just trying to get higher fares? Or... They don't want to sell them as a single...

Edited by bobbisailsolo

Josh at Hurtigruten talked me into just doing a ocean view... but he said to do the starboard. He said the port side is too noisy and if he were booking for his family, thats where he would put them... So I took his word for it.

Still find it hard to believe and the catagory N, I, and U cabins are gone over a year out? Im hoping they dont have some huge group event on this sailing. I dont see any of the other March 2016 sailings so booked up...

I'm glad you asked as I was wondering about upgrades too, and specifically if it's cheaper or the same to upgrade on board or in advance?

I've just checked and I have an unspecified outside cabin booked in Finnsmarken, so there's a good chance we will have obstructed view isn't there?

Not sure if I should try and pay to upgrade now or wait and see what I'm allocated once on board. Really don't want to have paid extra to look at a lifeboat!

Josh at Hurtigruten talked me into just doing a ocean view... but he said to do the starboard. He said the port side is too noisy and if he were booking for his family, thats where he would put them... So I took his word for it.

Still find it hard to believe and the catagory N, I, and U cabins are gone over a year out? Im hoping they dont have some huge group event on this sailing. I dont see any of the other March 2016 sailings so booked up...

We actually slept through several port visits, even though on the port side. When we did waken, we got up and went out to watch all that was going on.

To be honest, we felt we wouldn't have missed a lot if we had an inside cabin. Our cabin on deck 5 looked out over the promenade deck and we often looked out at people looking in, or standing in front of our window. So, even an "unobstructed view" cabin can have an obstructed view under certain circumstances.

I'm glad you asked as I was wondering about upgrades too, and specifically if it's cheaper or the same to upgrade on board or in advance?

I've just checked and I have an unspecified outside cabin booked in Finnsmarken, so there's a good chance we will have obstructed view isn't there?

Not sure if I should try and pay to upgrade now or wait and see what I'm allocated once on board. Really don't want to have paid extra to look at a lifeboat!

My feeling, from other cruise lines, is an upgrade isnt always an upgrade. If you care where your cabin is, or what the view is, I would pay to specify. But if you really dont care... take a chance. To be honest, I dont really care all that much. Funny, I was lying in bed thinking to myself just a bit ago... why does it matter so much on a cruise. When you go to a resort for a week or two, you dont pick out your room..lol.. I think cabin selection is really a way for the cruise line to get more money for every little thing... what deck, what section, which side, what view.... and so on and so on.

We don't spend much time in our cabin but...

We always book an outside cabin, low down and midships, just in case we get some rough seas.

On a northbound only trip we have always booked a starboard-side cabin to maximise the coastal view.

On a round trip we have booked port-side for the port views (useful at night if you have gone to bed but are inquisitive!).

The difference between booking a hotel room in a resort and a cabin on a ship is that the view out of the hotel room doesn't change.

But we don't spend much time in our cabin...

The difference between booking a hotel room in a resort and a cabin on a ship is that the view out of the hotel room doesn't change.

Yes, that exactly, especially doing something like Hurtigruten where the scenery is a big part of the experience. Also different to other cruises in that the ship is close to land more of the time so it's not just a matter of looking at sea out of your window.

I travel alone with my young son so for all that we don't spend all our time in the cabin I am more restricted in how easily I can pop up on deck at certain times.

I booked the outside cabin assuming we could see some of the views and ports from our cabin but now worrying we'll be looking at people on the promenade deck or looking at a lifeboat!

Yes, that exactly, especially doing something like Hurtigruten where the scenery is a big part of the experience. Also different to other cruises in that the ship is close to land more of the time so it's not just a matter of looking at sea out of your window.

I travel alone with my young son so for all that we don't spend all our time in the cabin I am more restricted in how easily I can pop up on deck at certain times.

I booked the outside cabin assuming we could see some of the views and ports from our cabin but now worrying we'll be looking at people on the promenade deck or looking at a lifeboat!

Noopa, I used to cruise and travel with my sons when they were young. It was amazing experience for all!

I'm just sick of thinking about cabins. I've changed it three times already. As far as views, at a resort you're looking at the same thing day after day, so you would think it would be even more important. Can you imagine looking out over a parking lot for an entire 2 weeks. Happened to me once, when I booked a garden view... Of course I asked for a different room!

Noopa, I used to cruise and travel with my sons when they were young. It was amazing experience for all!

I'm just sick of thinking about cabins. I've changed it three times already. As far as views, at a resort you're looking at the same thing day after day, so you would think it would be even more important. Can you imagine looking out over a parking lot for an entire 2 weeks. Happened to me once, when I booked a garden view... Of course I asked for a different room!

]]

Yes, I've cruised several times and traveled widely with my son too, but traveling alone with a child is a different thing altogether. I know from experience I will spend more time in the cabin because once he needs to go to bed I can't leave, and even now he's older it's still different to if you travel as a couple with children. If for example we hear an announcement of northern lights, I can't go anywhere until I've woken and dressed a child. If we're passing something worth going on deck for early in the morning, if he's sleeping I can't go. Having a cabin with a view to what we're passing, especially if I've paid extra for it is quite important. Location on ship, deck etc not really important to me at all but going to Norway and not bothering to maximise those views is crazy!!

I really do see the ship part of the trip as a major part of the experience so want to get the most out of it as I can. Especially if it's something you may only do once. A hotel room is a base for a wider range of things you will see and do, but your cabin and ship are the holiday, I think you're selling yourself short if you don't see the difference.

To see where your cabin is located, go on the Hurtigruten website, find your ship and check out the deck plan. You will be able to tell if people can walk by your window on a promenade , possible obstructions, etc. The ships are not all the same.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the upper deck outside cabins have a better view than those on deck 4 of the Midnatsol? I'm thinking I should change my cabin now that more categories are available. I can now get an O (which we previously designated as N), a P or a U.

For the moment I can't see these "O" cabins on the French website, so on which deck are they located? Deck 6 has an outside pathway so any cabins on this deck will have a window overlooking the pathway. It means that you can have people outside your cabin window. On the other hand, you have a very quick acess to outside.

Cabins on deck 7 and 8 don't have this issue, but remember that the higher you go and the more you might feel the movement of the ship in case of bad weather. The best views from inside the ship, IMHO, are from the panorama lounge, which you can access 24/7 whatever your cabin is. Views from the cabin are restricted to the side where your cabin is, and are not that different from deck to deck.

I would be fine with a deck 4 N cabin and I wouldn't spend more money to be higher up in the ship but to each his/her own.

For the moment I can't see these "O" cabins on the French website, so on which deck are they located?

I would be fine with a deck 4 N cabin and I wouldn't spend more money to be higher up in the ship but to each his/her own.

The N cabins don't show on the deck plan, only on the reservation screen. They are all on deck 4. Toward the aft and forward. The N cabins are those on deck four, more midship (near the carlift) Thus the higher fare for cat O. Currently I'm in 416., cat L. Do you think it's worth about 600 more for a cat 0..., a larger window... I don't mind being forward, as I am right now. Just heard the port holes aren't that great.

Edited by bobbisailsolo

OK, I understand now.

I guess the choice depends on how much time you think you will spend in your cabin, and also if you are a light sleeper because it is possible that the L cabins are a bit more noisy (they are close to the bow thruster which can make some noise, they are used when docking, but I don't know firsthand how much noise they make on that specific ship). And of course it depends on how tight your budget is.

I think the L cabins at the front have a kind of "tunnel" across the hull (you can see that the wall of the cabin is a bit far from the outside of the hull) but cabin 416 seem to be OK in that regard. There are 2 portholes so I don't think it is that bad as far as the view goes.

I have booked my next trip on MS Finnmarken and since it is only a short trip this time (4 nights) I have booked a cabin with limited view, and I think I can end up with one of those L cabins (I cannot choose in advance). For 4 nights I can deal with it, for the whole trip I might consider the upgrade, but in my opinion it is worth it if you can get a cabin more towards midship, if it is to change 416 for 418 for instance I wouldn't do it.

Just to add from my experience... On Midnatsol we were in an N room, deck 4, #471. It is port side mid-ship. We found it noisy and I would not recommend it but we did ok and during the 11 night trip I think we got used to it. But I was told by other passengers on that trip that deck 4 rooms are noisy on the starboard side also. I think being in the bow would not be as noisy but I haven't tried it. If you can afford higher decks that might cut the noise. The window was nice but not that big of an advantage. Also, this level room does not have a TV... I think the inside rooms have TVs and if so I'd want to find out if they have a bow cam which can be very useful.

We spent most of our time looking from the panorama lounge or on deck. But I'd like to know that I'd be able get a good sleep... that would be more my priority next time.

m--

Just to add from my experience... On Midnatsol we were in an N room, deck 4, #471. It is port side mid-ship. We found it noisy and I would not recommend it but we did ok and during the 11 night trip I think we got used to it. But I was told by other passengers on that trip that deck 4 rooms are noisy on the starboard side also. I think being in the bow would not be as noisy but I haven't tried it. If you can afford higher decks that might cut the noise. The window was nice but not that big of an advantage. Also, this level room does not have a TV... I think the inside rooms have TVs and if so I'd want to find out if they have a bow cam which can be very useful.

We spent most of our time looking from the panorama lounge or on deck. But I'd like to know that I'd be able get a good sleep... that would be more my priority next time.

m--

thanks m, good info. Maybe I should just stick with what I have.. Cabin 416. I really just like the window to gage the weather. The rep at hurtigruten picked this one for me... So maybe I should just stop thinking about it so much and move on... Lol

On Nordnorge, we found our bathroom floor flooded when we used the shower, so we quickly reported this to reception and within an hour or two (while we had dinner) we were moved from our original cabin (deck 3, just forward of the passenger gangway) to a one on deck 5, still port side and near the back of the ship. Similar cabin with bigger window, but on the promenade deck, so we often found other passengers peering in as we were looking out or occasionally standing in front of our window.

Often, an "upgrade" isn't any better than the cabin you chose. It may be higher up and a grade up, but they want you to have it for a good reason.