Nieuw Amersterdam

nana51

Read through all the awards. Nieuw Amsterdam got a ton. As did Westerdam and Zuiderdam. Veendam and Noordam also got a couple in various categories. But the huge winner was Nieuw Amsterdam.

Given the ship is a good amount more modern (lighter and brighter) than the other ships in the HAL fleet, and as these are ratings from the cruising public I think this shows HAL that a more modern approach is what people want from the new ships... and from what we've seen so far of Koningsdam... they'll get :)

I couldn't agree with this more! Though we have only cruised 3 times, we were fortunate enough to cruise Disney Dream, Celebrity Reflection and most recently The Nieuw Amsterdam. We loved the HAL experience and thought everything about the cruise was terrific! The food, the upkeep, the overall value, the service... We even enjoyed the entertainment. Can't wait to try the Westerdam in August! 😎 so excited that HAL got the recognition they deserved!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just came back on B2B, back to back on Nw AMSTERDAM and EURODAM.

Both fine ships in practically every category. Only difference... the décor is a bit more traditional HAL on EURODAM. NW AMSTERDAM.... a bit lighter.

To be honest.... I prefer EURODAM. The think is... the HAL ships are quite beautiful. They will not 'age' over the years. STATENDAM is now over 20 years old... and is still a warm, beautiful ship. The modern ships? Well, we will have to wait for many years. Flashy ships can get tired of bright, plastic décor.

But each to our own!

I couldn't agree with this more! Though we have only cruised 3 times, we were fortunate enough to cruise Disney Dream, Celebrity Reflection and most recently The Nieuw Amsterdam. We loved the HAL experience and thought everything about the cruise was terrific! The food, the upkeep, the overall value, the service... We even enjoyed the entertainment. Can't wait to try the Westerdam in August! so excited that HAL got the recognition they deserved!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

B Jarrett,

I think spoke to your husband on telephone from the cabin one afternoon. I meant to say hello but it was a busy cruise... and right, it was an EXCELLENT cruise! It was fun to step over to EURODAM to repeat the same cruise. Only difference.... EURODAM made the call at Half Moon cay. But a day at sea on Nw A ws fun too!

Stephen

The modern ships? Well, we will have to wait for many years. Flashy ships can get tired of bright, plastic décor.

But each to our own!

Of course.

But at the same time, more modern does not necessarily equal flashy. It also doesn't necessarily equal plastic. It depends on how it is applied and the vision of both the line and the designers.

While it's not for everyone, the Solstice Class ships are beautiful (subjective I know) and they have also won tons of awards (subjective again, but shows they have reached the pinnacle of a subjective topic).

The feeling on those ships is not flashy (I consider that to be a term best reserved for CCL's ships prior to Magic/Breeze when Joe Farcus was at the design helm) and Solstice did not feel "plastic" which I think is a little gentler way of saying cheap and/or generic.

So far what I've seen of Koningsdam strikes a nice balance. There's some great design that appears timeless and more classic, some great re-imagined areas and some areas that are more modern. Nieuw Amsterdam had the same vibe but in the existing spaces of the Vista/Signature Class while Koningsdam is similar and familiar but also rearranged in its layout.

Better NOT be like any NCL or RCI ships! :eek:

My opinion is that HAL has a certain style that is kind on the eyes and more like a warm home. I don't care modern just being a new style. If you like that... cruise with Celebrity. If you want an older style... you have HAL or Cunard. We need all kinds of ships!

I know a newer style of ship is trying to attract younger passengers. That is a crock. Pardon my words. When passengers age then styles will change... I guess 'mature'. Celebrity for the younger set and HAL for the more relaxed group. I don't want to see HAL ships being clones of Celebrity. I'm not knocking Celebrity.

Better NOT be like any NCL or RCI ships! :eek:

My opinion is that HAL has a certain style that is kind on the eyes and more like a warm home. I don't care modern just being a new style. If you like that... cruise with Celebrity. If you want an older style... you have HAL or Cunard. We need all kinds of ships!

I know a newer style of ship is trying to attract younger passengers. That is a crock. Pardon my words. When passengers age then styles will change... I guess 'mature'. Celebrity for the younger set and HAL for the more relaxed group. I don't want to see HAL ships being clones of Celebrity. I'm not knocking Celebrity.

And I get what you're saying... but not everyone's style matures to where they feel the need for reds and golds and brass everywhere and dark thick fabrics with very VERY busy floral patterns on them. Tastes vary. I understand that. And not everyone has the same tastes in their youth. Nor does everyone mature and then develop the same tastes at a more advanced age.

However, think about the difference between these rooms... two examples... First, lower end rooms... insides on the S/R Class before and after SOE 2.0. The second, a Neptune Suite in a Vista vs a Signature Class ship.

520XInside.jpg

vs

520XInside.jpg

AND

520XDlxVerSuite.jpg

vs

520XDlxVerSuite.jpg

To make sure I understand you, the faded color sofa and mismatch of colors of the inside room and the more "technicolor" approach to the Vista Class suites is preferred and more classic to the richer tones, contrasts of fabrics and patterns and more muted/elegant color palette?

While it has never stopped me from cruising on the Vista Class ships (I REALLY enjoy them) the rooms are tacky to say the very least and I feel they are LONG overdue for a decor update. And I'm not referring to where stains may be visible, or wear and tear, and for the love of god let's not turn this into a discussion about what ships have drawers vs shelves and how people like one over the other... I'm referring to the aesthetics to where HAL can better represent themselves as the premium cruise line they are 9 times out of 10.

The newer looks are not bright, garish, plastic... no one is saying HAL needs to mimic NCL or RCCL (they don't claim to be premium lines anyway) but one of the words always going along with HAL is elegant... and the bright colors of the Vista ship Neptune Suites... I think we can all agree that look is not elegant. The extra space and amenities may be... but not the decor...

Right?

Or am I alone in thinking this?

Edited by InTheWASide

I love the Nieuw Amsterdam. I traveled the Eurodam once to see if I liked it and I did.

I prefer this class to the Vista class. Then for the heck of it I tried the Nieuw Amsterdam once and fell in love with the ship. I tried it because my first cruise on HAL was on the 1983 version of the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is now my favorite ship. I am looking forward to being on her again next week.

Thanks your comments.

Compare the S/R interiors. Does change of one curtain and a different colour of a cushion colour make it now 'better'? To be honest... BOTH should be changed! In the old version the basic colour for the walls etc was a beige basic.... with accents with blue and red. It was fine. Now it is a chocolate mess!

VISTA class with the orange, dark red, maroon, lialic etc.... it was a mess! The SIGNATURE suites are quite nice.... but way too much chocolate brown. The wood walls are fine.... but the chocolate carpets and brown cushions do not match.... they jar. Too much of it.

Even worse is the shapes of the couch seats on VISTA and SIGNATURES are far too wide. At least six inchs less. And on the VISTA ship the cushion won; stay in the same place. After two minutes they 'walk' and have to be moved back. Thankfully this problem on the SIGNATURE ships... but still too wide. The chairs are uncomfortable. Instead of two... a nice simple recliner would have been better.

I don't think you ever saw the old ROTTERDAM. Over one period before the 1995 world cruise I had a chance to see the six suites. Each one had a different pattern of colours. I kid you not.... it was possible to count FOURTEEN different colours/fabrics. FOURTEEN! Horrible! The bathroom had been retiled also. Horrible! Pink/beige tiles... with mix of other colours. Make you want to puke! Then we arrived in one bathroom that was PERFECT! The deck was plain tile. Toilet etc all plain white. The only accent was a simple deep cobalt blue band around the room at eye level. The four of us say it and we impressed. Then suddenly the then furnishing designer say it and said, "Oh not that one. I have not finishing that one yet!"