Hip pain, worried about the bed.

molly5673

You absolutely can request an egg crate foam pad for the bed. However, it is really thin and doesn't help much. We usually ask for the egg crate and then sleep on top of the duvet for some extra padding. Yeah, the beds are hard. We live in Orlando and drive to the port so I think this year we may bring our own padding for the bed.

You absolutely can request an egg crate foam pad for the bed. However, it is really thin and doesn't help much. We usually ask for the egg crate and then sleep on top of the duvet for some extra padding. Yeah, the beds are hard. We live in Orlando and drive to the port so I think this year we may bring our own padding for the bed.

Should I call so it will be done or ask when I get there?

Is it true I can ask for a padding for the bed? I didn't want to do it and look like an idiot. My hips kill me if I'm in a hard bed.

From what I hear they have stopped giving egg crate pads for the beds. Last time I asked they did put a comforter under the bottom sheet. It doesn't do much. I now bring my own.

I have back trouble and always ask for the foam and they put 2 of the quilts down before covering them with a sheet. Their quilts/comforters are kinda padded and I find this makes a huge difference. We cruise 2-3 times a yr on Carnival and have never had any issues having them do this for me. I would wait till your on the ship and ask your room steward to do when he does his night time turn down so it will done before you go to bed. I hope this helps and you have a fun and comfortable cruise :-)

Edited by foundmyMcGyver
didn't word it right, when you ask for foam they will put down the comforters.

I have back trouble and always ask for the foam and they put 2 of the quilts down before covering them with a sheet. Their quilts/comforters are kinda padded and I find this makes a huge difference. We cruise 2-3 times a yr on Carnival and have never had any issues having them do this for me. I would wait till your on the ship and ask your room steward to do when he does his night time turn down so it will done before you go to bed. I hope this helps and you have a fun and comfortable cruise :-)

Ok I'll have a tip in hand and ask. Thanks.

We asked in November for an egg crate on the Magic and were told they did not have any. I suffer from hip pain but I was ok. The steward did not offer anything so maybe I will ask for some extra padding when we sail on Sunday on the Fantasy.

Same issues..the comforter handled what the egg crate did on a single bed doubled...if at a certain point..you will know your level i would take a cheap crate for the bed and toss it..worth the 20 bucks of you don't think the comforters will handle..Sarah

I think the crates would be hard for them to keep sanitized..

I also have hip pain (even in my own bed at home) for me it is unavoidable regardless of the bed, but a bad bed can make the pain unbearable. My best cruise ever was in 2009 on the Liberty, but I will say also that it was the most uncomfortable Carnival bed that I have ever slept on. In 2010, was on the Freedom and had a slightly better bed, and last November I was back on the Freedom again, and had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever had on a cruise ship. I think it is hit or miss, with Carnival, they just dont seem to be consistent when it comes to the quality of bedding on the ships.

If I found that I was having a problem, I would definitely consult the room steward for advice on what they can do to improve the comfort, or as someone else has noted. You can sleep on top of the duvet/quilt. If you need another quilt for warmth, you can always request more from room steward. I have never been able to sleep under those quilts anyway, as the room temp never gets cold enough for me to want to.

Is it true I can ask for a padding for the bed? I didn't want to do it and look like an idiot. My hips kill me if I'm in a hard bed.

I would test the mattress as soon as you get to your cabin and then ask the cabin steward for what you think you need to be comfortable. Most cabin stewards are happy to assist with any needs you have.

Carnival used to have great mattresses, but on my last 2 cruises, the mattress in my cabin was worn out with a big sagging area in the middle. I found it to be very uncomfortable. That left me wondering if they aren't changing them out as often to save money, or just buying cheaper mattresses that don't hold up well.

Personally, I would not wait until you are on the ship to address this.

I had the same issue on the Dream last year, and the first moment we met our steward, who was SUPER-nice, we requested help with the bedding. I was told they had no egg crate mattresses, and he tried to help by padding the bed, but it was still miserable for me.

Don't count on them having something for you- be proactive and bring your own, whether an egg crate mattress, foam pad, or super-plush comforter to lie on top of. If you don't and hope for the best, you *could* get lucky, but what if you *don't*? We didn't. I was sore all week. :(

The beds were extremely hard on the Dream in January which came as a surprise to me because I remember having the best sleep of my life on the Fantasy in 2007! I don't know why they changed the mattresses but I was miserable trying to get comfortable at night, still an awesome cruise otherwise!