Corkage fees for bringing extra wine?

KSprite01

I understand we're permitted to bring onboard 1 bottle of wine each (2 bottles total).

If we want to bring more, can we just pay the $15 corkage fee for each extra bottle? Or will they toss the extra rather than letting us pay that fee? If we pay the fee, does that mean we can then bring it to the dinning hall for dinner as we've already paid the corkage fee? And if so, how would the waiter know - is the bottle marked in any way?

I've read some conflicting information saying we can pay a corkage fee and others saying they'll toss any extra, so I hoping folks can shed some light. (We're happy to pay the fee.)

I understand we're permitted to bring onboard 1 bottle of wine each (2 bottles total).

If we want to bring more, can we just pay the $15 corkage fee for each extra bottle? Or will they toss the extra rather than letting us pay that fee? If we pay the fee, does that mean we can then bring it to the dinning hall for dinner as we've already paid the corkage fee? And if so, how would the waiter know - is the bottle marked in any way?

I've read some conflicting information saying we can pay a corkage fee and others saying they'll toss any extra, so I hoping folks can shed some light. (We're happy to pay the fee.)

My boarding pass says the following:

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded

Curious thou, if they mark the bottles that you pay the fee on. I know they specifically have told me that I can only drink my free bottles in my stateroom.

If they actually stop you, you pay any extra over the 2. I have not heard of them tossing any wine or champagne. Some have brought a case and paid the appropriate fee and did not have a problem. Each port operates a little different.

You just never know.

Thanks! So it sounds like we definitely can bring it in on, but it's unknown how the particular ship will handle it (in terms of whether it'll be marked in some way so we can bring to the MDR then). I guess I'll cross that bridge later and plan to just politely insist on some form of documentation/understanding the process.

(And yes, I would only drink the free ones in the stateroom.)

Thanks! So it sounds like we definitely can bring it in on, but it's unknown how the particular ship will handle it (in terms of whether it'll be marked in some way so we can bring to the MDR then). I guess I'll cross that bridge later and plan to just politely insist on some form of documentation/understanding the process.

(And yes, I would only drink the free ones in the stateroom.)

Sometimes they don't blink an eye at security, sometimes they do.

If you are prepared to pay for any additional you will be fine. ;)

There will be a table set up right after your carry ons are scanned. There you will have your extra wines marked and the feee will be put on your account.

At that point you can take those bottles to any restaurant or bar to be served. you will not pay a corkage again. If you don't finish it, the server will put it on hold for another time. We had an opened bottle taken from the MDR and delivered to another for the next night's specialty dinner.

Some people try to avoid the table. But depending on the time you board and the physical set up at the particular port, that isn't always possible. And still, if you take the unmarked wine to be opened at a restaurant you will be charged the corkage there.

In Port Everglades, they were stamping the bottles that we wanted to drink in the dining room to differentiate them from the ones we wanted to drink in our cabin. When we took those to the dining room, our assistant waiter could see the stamp and know not to charge us additional corkage fee. If we had taken one of the unstamped ones, he could have charged us the corkage fee.

In San Francisco in a late January (2015)sailing we put our wine in our carry on cases. We went through the scanner and over to the liquor table. We were asked to put all bottles of wine on the table. We were charged $15. each for all but 2 ( 1 permitted for each of 2 adults in one stateroom). We were handed stickers for the wine we'd paid corkage on. It was up to us to choose which bottles to take to the dining room and applied the sticker then. Dining room staff were terrific, even starting discussions about bottles of Amarone and Brunello that we brought in. Any wine we brought to the DR was opened, poured and stored for us. Smooth system in my opinion.

Edited by GeezLouise1

We've had mixed results bringing wine onboard. We bring one bottle each in our carry-on luggage. On two different sailings they have asked ONE of us if we had wine in the bag when it went through the scanner. Each time they didn't ask about the other person's bag. Kind of weird since we make no effort to disguise the bottle in the bag so the bottles should show up in the scan.

We've had mixed results bringing wine onboard. We bring one bottle each in our carry-on luggage. On two different sailings they have asked ONE of us if we had wine in the bag when it went through the scanner. Each time they didn't ask about the other person's bag. Kind of weird since we make no effort to disguise the bottle in the bag so the bottles should show up in the scan.

I'm going to bring a 4L box of wine minus the actual box, just the heavy duty plastic lining. On a scanner, that shouldn't show up as anything resembling wine.

Did you try typing "Princess Corkage Fee" into Google. If you do, you will find a very clear and unambiguous answer to your question.

DON