Olympic on Millennium - worthwhile

Cassicruiser

We will be on the Millennium in May and my husband will be celebrating his 50th birthday while on the ship (the reason for the cruise in the first place). I was wondering whether to book the Olympic for the night of his birthday (as a surprise) but would love opinions on whether it's really that good to justify the extra cost ($90) or if we should just stick with the main dining room and getting the waiters to sing happy birthday? He is semi vegetarian but eats and really likes fish (not lobster) but from the menus on the website it looks like there is plenty of choice for him.

I would have chosen Qsine but we cruised with friends a year ago and did Qsine then and loved it. Also it's just the 2 of us this time and think Qsine is better in a group.

It's not only the food I wanted to know about but the whole experience. Thanks

Now it has been a while, we sailed in September 2010 and ate there twice and had some of the best meals of our life. We still talk about the goat cheese and chocolate souflee's (not one in the same :). The service was impeccable.

We had dinner in Olympic on our Alaskan cruises in 2011 and 2013, and it was absolutely excellent each time we went. Notify the maitre d' at Olympic of any dietary restrictions or preferences and they will be very happy to accommodate them (my husband has a garlic allergy and had no problem). As for whether it was worth it, I would say unequivocally yes. The $45/person meal was equal to what I would expect to pay $150-200 for at a fine restaurant on land. The food and the service was impeccable, and it will surely make your husband's birthday memorable. Enjoy!

... and I suggest that you husband chooses the sole. I had it three visits in a row on our latest cruise.

Make sure that you tell the maître d' that it is your husband's birthday. They will not sing for him but they will bring him a little cake [and pack it for you to take back to your stateroom if you do not wish to miss out on desert].

Edited by Project_gal

What everybody else has said...

In my opinion, the Olympic is the loveliest of all the Celebrity specialty restaurants. It is also the first one that they had. The forward part of the room is done with paneling taken from the Olympic, which was a sister ship of Titanic, and is truly beautiful. The rest of the room is really nice as well.

I assume that menu is still more or less the same from ship to ship. Usually they bring an "amuse bouche" mini appetizer from the chef. And then you peruse the menu. I love the goat cheese souffle, and then the lobster bisque (but my wife who adores lobster doesn't like it). I have tried the Dover Sole Veronique and it is wonderful. If you have room for dessert, you might like the souffle, but it has to be ordered in advance of your meal, and is a large serving.......but good! Then they bring a plate of "petit fours" to top everything off.

If you like an elegant atmosphere, with wait staff to match, then I suggest you will love the Olympic. Bon appetite.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Thanks you so much everyone! It sounds wonderful - Olympic it is! We very seldom do fine dining on shore (although we do dine out frequently it's usually cafes or mid range restaurants) so it will be a treat. And for a special occasion you have definitely convinced me. And my husband loves sole, so that's perfect!

Do you think we need to prebook? I'd rather wait to book onboard as we have on board credit that I'd like to use for the Olympic, and also want to keep it a surprise (ie not have it show up on the credit card in advance). I'm not sure how busy they get, so do you think I'll be safe waiting till the day we board to book for the 5th night of the cruise? I'd like to get an 8pm slot, not 6 or 9pm if possible. When we ate at Qsine last year we booked on board and it was half empty, but that was a 14 night cruise and this is a 7 night.

Do you think we need to prebook? I'd rather wait to book onboard as we have on board credit that I'd like to use for the Olympic, and also want to keep it a surprise (ie not have it show up on the credit card in advance). I'm not sure how busy they get, so do you think I'll be safe waiting till the day we board to book for the 5th night of the cruise? I'd like to get an 8pm slot, not 6 or 9pm if possible. When we ate at Qsine last year we booked on board and it was half empty, but that was a 14 night cruise and this is a 7 night.

It depends on the cruise, but I think you're fairly safe to wait til you board. Especially if you're:

1. Okay with a range from 7:30-8:30

2. Tell them it's a special occasion.

There seem to always be open tables. In general the seem to limit guess due to service and staffing more than number of tables which always gives them the ability to seat more passengers and step up their game.

You can always look and see what bookings are available online, but be forewarned, they do NOT make all time slots available pre-cruise (anther reason booking on day 1 is probably fine)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We have never pre-booked, and never had a problem.

• 1 month later...
Great, thanks Jenna and Spearmint. I'll sneak away and book the day we board. :)

Hey Cassicruiser!

We are going to be on the same cruise. I am thinking about doing this or the Qsine for my parents' 50th Anniversary! It is the day we disembark, so I am thinking on night 6, perhaps as we are sailing through the Gulf of Alaska.

Hey Cassicruiser!

We are going to be on the same cruise. I am thinking about doing this or the Qsine for my parents' 50th Anniversary! It is the day we disembark, so I am thinking on night 6, perhaps as we are sailing through the Gulf of Alaska.

Hi Kapitman

We did Qsine last time we were on Millennium and loved it. It was quirky and fun and we had a great time. The dessert I had (Chocolate Tombstone) was THE best dessert on the ship. Depends whether your parents want a more fun experience, or a fine dining experience. I know my mother at the age of 76 would probably prefer Olympic but your parents might be up for something different!

Olympic is our favourite speciality restaurant. On Millie in SE Asia last year we loved it so much we went a second time! As others have written its a lovely room with classic decor (not forgetting the panelling heritage) with views of the sea from the window tables. All the food is good and the service impeccable, but the stand-out is the cheese. If you like cheese you'll love this. These are not the cheeses found in the MDR - plated and chilled until requested; these are looked after lovingly, perfectly stored and at their peak - and I would pay the $45 just for that! Heck, I can (and have) spend the equivalent of $45 in The Fine Cheese Company on a Saturday (if I'm left alone!) - I might get more cheese, but not the decor, service and ambience of Olympic!

Absolutely take him to the Olympic. For all the reasons mentioned.

I agree the OBC is perfect for that. However...you might want to go ahead and pre-book it to get the time and date you want. You will pay ahead of time.

Now as soon as you get onboard, go confirm your reservation but negotiate a better deal. They'll give you back your money as OBC. If it's the first night, it can be up to 50% off. At the least, 20%.

Have fun you young folks you.

It's been a number of years now, but yes....go! The food was outstanding but we primarily went because of the history of the room (it actually is from the liner "Olympic", sister ship of "Titanic"). As I said, it was a number of years ago and things might have changed, but what I thought was particular was that in the MDR, you can eat your way up and down the menu. In Olympic, I asked for an appetizer and a Caesar Salad, and was told, "sorry....one or the other".

So glad I found this thread as I have been wondering the same thing.

I have alot of OBC for my May 12 sailing and thought I would use it at the Olympic restaurant. So happy to hear of all the great reviews.

Sherry

Absolutely take him to the Olympic. For all the reasons mentioned.

I agree the OBC is perfect for that. However...you might want to go ahead and pre-book it to get the time and date you want. You will pay ahead of time.

Now as soon as you get onboard, go confirm your reservation but negotiate a better deal. They'll give you back your money as OBC. If it's the first night, it can be up to 50% off. At the least, 20%.

Have fun you young folks you.

I'm not good at negotiating! Is it usual to get a discount if you ask for it? I would be able to justify going to Olympic to my husband if the price was a little lower. For us Aussies $45 is actually $60 so it's pretty steep. Maybe that can be my negotiating tactic....

I don't want to eat there the first night as my husband's birthday is day 5 of our cruise so we would go that night.