Frosted out windows on Obstructed OV jewelled class ships

EllieinNJ

I read in another thread that the obstructed ov cabins on the Jewel were frosted out and you couldn't see out at all. Can anyone who has sailed recently on any of the other jewel class obstructed ov cabins tell us if this is true on their ship. Or if your cruise is soon, please come back with this information. I am on the Gem and would be terribly upset if this was the case.

I read in another thread that the obstructed ov cabins on the Jewel were frosted out and you couldn't see out at all. Can anyone who has sailed recently on any of the other jewel class obstructed ov cabins tell us if this is true on their ship. Or if your cruise is soon, please come back with this information. I am on the Gem and would be terribly upset if this was the case.

You read my mind with this post. I cruised in 2013 on the Jewel in the obstructed OV cabin and it was wonderful. Since then, they have apparently frosted all these cabin windows.

I will be on the PEARL for 21 days and purposely booked this category and cabin because of the price for the little bit of view I could get. I will be so disappointed if my PEARL CABIN 8566 is frosted.

I plan on calling my TA, but I'm thinking that NCL reps, even the ones my TA will speak to will have no idea. May have to pay extra to upgrade to a crappy porthole window on Deck 4 or 5. I hate that idea, but really want to have some view in my 21 days

Could you put up a link to that post? I've never heard of this at all. I'd like to see who/when this was posted. Thanks.

Could you put up a link to that post? I've never heard of this at all. I'd like to see who/when this was posted. Thanks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169707&page=2

Here is the thread. Also notice post #31 by Oceandreaming2

Edited by djmess
oops forgot the link

You read my mind with this post. I cruised in 2013 on the Jewel in the obstructed OV cabin and it was wonderful. Since then, they have apparently frosted all these cabin windows.

I will be on the PEARL for 21 days and purposely booked this category and cabin because of the price for the little bit of view I could get. I will be so disappointed if my PEARL CABIN 8566 is frosted.

I plan on calling my TA, but I'm thinking that NCL reps, even the ones my TA will speak to will have no idea. May have to pay extra to upgrade to a crappy porthole window on Deck 4 or 5. I hate that idea, but really want to have some view in my 21 days

I couldn't agree with you more and have been following the one about NCL Jewel being frosted. I have called my PCC and NCL and gotten nowhere.

We have 8052 on the Pearl, I can only hope it is not frosted.

We have done deck 4 & 5 and wanted to try a different room location.

At this point my DH and I are sticking with the room we have. I will just report back on my view or non-view.

I would NOT consider Frosted Windows an obstructed Oceanview Window. I would consider it an Obstructed Window. :eek:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Jewel

Has a note about which cabins have frosted windows.

Websites, EXCEPT the NCL website are getting caught up with what Norwegian is doing to these cabin windows. This category used to be a great deal. Won't be booking these anymore. I can pay a lot less for an inside cabin. Still keeping my fingers crossed for my Pearl Cruise in April.

So far on the deckplans website, only the Jewel is showing those frosted glass, but that may be cause others have no complained about it on the other Jewel Class ships, or they just haven't been done yet. I personally expect them all to go this route unfortunately. Just a gut feeling, no specific info from anywhere

What the other post says is the OX guarantee cabins have some that are frosted. If you book an OX NCL states in the description that it may have NO view. If you book an obstructed view, it makes no such statement.

I couldn't agree with you more and have been following the one about NCL Jewel being frosted. I have called my PCC and NCL and gotten nowhere.

We have 8052 on the Pearl, I can only hope it is not frosted.

We have done deck 4 & 5 and wanted to try a different room location.

At this point my DH and I are sticking with the room we have. I will just report back on my view or non-view.

I would NOT consider Frosted Windows an obstructed Oceanview Window. I would consider it an Obstructed Window. :eek:

After checking prices, I will be staying where I am. Just realized you are cruising after me, so I will report back my findings.

I love cruising, and will make the best of it, but will be very disappointed because I had made my reservation for this cruise 16 months in advance of the cruise date and was specific in what I wanted and what I Think I'm getting.

Edited by djmess

What the other post says is the OX guarantee cabins have some that are frosted. If you book an OX NCL states in the description that it may have NO view. If you book an obstructed view, it makes no such statement.

I did not book an OX, I booked a specific OK cabin, 16 months prior to sailing that I had seen on the Jewel in 2013 and it was not frosted at that time.

I'm booked on the Pearl, but used the Jewel cabins I had seen and been in as my guide. So, I'm hoping I still have an obstructed view in my cabin and not a frosted NO View. My cabin booked for the Pearl, is now a frosted window on the Jewel.

It just sucks when you plan ahead and pick something for a reason and then the cruiseline changes it on you, AFTER you have booked, paid in full and are a short time out for the cruise. Now if they want to upgrade me for free, I will take it.

• 2 weeks later...

HI!

We are cruising out on the Jewell on 04/04/15 - Our original room, (can't remember it exactly) was on deck 8 with an obstructed view. When I read, that the particular cabin had frosted window, I called NCL, and they were happy to move us to a different room. She upgraded us for no fee to a cabin with a porthole. We do not spend to much time in the cabin, so having just a small window works for us. I just cannot be in a room, with no view out at all. :)

• 2 months later...

8052 Obstructed view on the Pearl does not have frosted windows.

It does have a life boat and a platform that a worker was on one afternoon when we went back to our room.

Also a light shines all night which did not bother us as the curtains do seem to block most of it.

It was a handy night light.

We had our TA look into this after reading concerns here on CC. After a bunch of back and forth we finally got a straight answer directly from the ship :

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:48 AM

To: 2C6B

Subject: RE: Jewel 03/13/2016 Reservation #*******

Hello,

Stateroom 8576 has a frosted window.

Regards,

Evsie Leroy | Event Coordinator

800-327-9020 ext 26609 | fax 305.436.4147

evleroy@ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line ®

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Freestyle Cruising ®

ncl.com

We decided to switch rooms. It's a shame that not even the NCL reps knew what was happening though.

I was supposed to have 8052 on the Jewel but then scored a free upgrade to a balcony but looked at it "as I was walking by..." and it was not frosted as of April, 2015. That said, it is my understanding that NCL has totally frosted some OV windows and what someone tells you today may be incorrect next week.

I don't know why they are doing this but I had a wonderful OK obstructed view on the Star in 2014 and there were workers on the walkway going past my room every day. The first time I saw that, it was like "Whoa... better be careful with what I have on." but I never complained. Perhaps other people did and NCL was worried that there might be a serious invasion/complaint/lawsuit about this. The vast majority of the workers totally ignored the windows and I never felt like they were looking but ONE worker made a point of looking in the windows very overtly and was startled that I saw him. I have a feeling this is perhaps the history of the issue of frosted windows. People don't realize there are workers out there.

FYI- we were just on the Jewel in a balcony and the exact thing happened as workers go by in a device cleaning the windows. So, lesson learned: don't think you have 100% privacy if you have ANY kind of window.

• 11 months later...

I was in an OV last year on the Jade, and the window was not frosted over. That being said, they used the tender in front of our window for a couple of days to take care of a crew emergency, so for a couple of hours, there were crew members walking back and forth on the catwalk outside our window. Kind of freaky until I remembered that I could close the curtains.

As to the Pearl, we were on it this past April. I will admit that on my way to my inside cabin (80x7, I always forgot the number) on Deck 8, I would peek into the OV cabins on my way to and fro, and none of the windows were frosted

So far on the deckplans website, only the Jewel is showing those frosted glass, but that may be cause others have no complained about it on the other Jewel Class ships, or they just haven't been done yet. I personally expect them all to go this route unfortunately. Just a gut feeling, no specific info from anywhere

So these frosted windows at one time were not frosted? If so' date=' they were greatly devalued by frosting them[/b']. The only reasoning I can think of is that these cabins are easily peered into by crew members and someone caught the crew watching and a law suit ensued. :confused::confused::confused:
As you posted , these cabins are " greatly devalued by frosting them " . Very odd that they would do this . :confused:

You gave one possible explanation but it still doesn't make sense to me . Does NCL want to punish their

customers who chose a cabin which is "too" good a value ?

• 7 months later...

We are booked for cabin 8060 on the Jewel and I called a NCL Event Coordinator and she will email the ship to find out which rooms are really frosted on deck 8 still. My wife is worried about the noise from the lounge below so we are hoping to move to a different OK cabin but I really don't want frosted windows.

Hoping they removed the frost from all the concerns.

Edited by sfgiants216

Just heard back from NCL. This is what they had to say.

Hi XXXXX,

The Jewel no longer has frosted windows. Cabin 8060 has a partially obstructed view because of the lifeboats.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Robleto | Event Coordinator- Norwegian Breakaway

1-800-327-9020 (ext- 26725) | fax 305-436-4147

specialeventsbreakaway@ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line ®

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Can anyone who sailed the Jewel recently confirm?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm planning a trip on the Norwegian Jewel Would anyone please tell me if obstructed cabins 8070 to 8086 have a window that is opaque? Been reading some posts and someone posted this..see 3 attached images. Just wanting to know if its correct. Thank you.

20180919_001725.jpg.32c07e944f5c43942bf214e6962aabe0.jpg

20180919_001714.jpg.5191351a61cf1b72f48eac33bfb5d09b.jpg

20180919_001653.jpg.d8f2f4321d942ad5b779e60c66002a64.jpg