Does anyone know how the port of New Orleans faired in this hurricane business?

Gingee

We took the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans last year. I have been trying to find out how the area around the Hilton Riverwalk, Riverwalk Mall, Harrads, etc. faired in the hurricane. Has anyone heard?

Its under water. New Orleans is not what it was when you visited last year..

The ports of Mississippi and Louisiana are DONE.:(

The port in MS is one of the largest for imports/exports of goods and services

and will have to be rebuilt.

This storm is affecting the whole country.

All my heartfelt wishes go out to everyone.

There is no Hilton Riverwalk, Riverwalk Mall, etc.! If you have access to a tv, please locate CNN.

We took the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans last year. I have been trying to find out how the area around the Hilton Riverwalk, Riverwalk Mall, Harrads, etc. faired in the hurricane. Has anyone heard?

Actually although the Hilton had a lot of windows blown out it survived as did the Riverwalk and the French Quarter. They sit on some of the highest land in the city and although the Convention center area has been trashed by survivors who didn't evacuate it also is standing as is the Superdome although it has roof damage. The actual cruise port facility has also survived very well although it is going to be a long time (probably at least a year) before any cruise ships start using it to take passengers out to the Gulf. There is a possibility that it may be used for cruise ships to house people working on the reconstruction of the city. FEMA supposingly is trying to work with Carnival and other cruise lines to see if they can lease several ships for that purpose for maybe as long as a year. If that happens there will be a lot of people who have cruises booked that will being told they will need to go on other ships and at other times.

Check out the New Orleans board for other information on this horrible situation.

Talk at you later.

Carnival isn't doing this as a charity but will be getting $249 million for the use of 3 cruise ships for 6 months. I saw someone who did the numbers and they would be getting somewhere around $120 million for those ships if they were used for the 3, 4, 5 and 7 day cruises these three ships are currently being used for.

The plan from what I have seen on other sites on the web is to use these ships for housing for emergency workers, FEMA, etc. who are working on restoring services and rebuilding infrastructure in New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf coast. I have not seen anywhere that they are going to be used to house refugees from the disaster.

Talk at you all later.

Are any other cruise lines stepping up and offering any of their fleet???

Carnival's move is impressive (yeah, I know they are getting $$$) and has earned my loyalty. Every cruise decision I make from this day forward will be weighted toward Carnival because of their generosity.

Hi, I think there are alot of businesses that are helping.

But I don't plan on sailing them in the future because of it.

It is not something that I weigh in when planning my next cruise.

That is why there are so many choices and cruiselines.

I do commend them for helping though.

Actually although the Hilton had a lot of windows blown out it survived as did the Riverwalk and the French Quarter. They sit on some of the highest land in the city and although the Convention center area has been trashed by survivors who didn't evacuate it also is standing as is the Superdome although it has roof damage. The actual cruise port facility has also survived very well although it is going to be a long time (probably at least a year) before any cruise ships start using it to take passengers out to the Gulf. There is a possibility that it may be used for cruise ships to house people working on the reconstruction of the city. FEMA supposingly is trying to work with Carnival and other cruise lines to see if they can lease several ships for that purpose for maybe as long as a year. If that happens there will be a lot of people who have cruises booked that will being told they will need to go on other ships and at other times.

To you who replied the above message, thanks. That is what I have been trying to find out. I haven't heard anything about the Hilton or Riverwalk on the news. I'm not planning on going there soon but we were there last year and we were wondering what is still there. I heard that the Mardi Gra museum is gone also (I think it was on St. Charles square?).

The Marti Gras museum is actually across the Mississippi in Algiers. I actually haven't heard anything about it but considering it was housed in metal warehouse type buildings where the floats are built and modified each year and the city has wind gusts of over 100 MPH I wouldn't be surprised if it has been damaged if not destroyed. I don't think Algeirs suffered any flooding that I have heard of.

Hope things keep getting better in that area.

A former bf who was born in NO gave me this link (he heard from a brother and sister who resettled there but looking for Gulf Coast cousins:

Dirk and Kellie sent this link to a satellite view of Chalmette--the inundated neighborhood they called home.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/katrina/new_orleans_chalmette_aug31_2005_dg.jpg

Archived