Any "must do" restaurants while in port?

surgie

I know we have already paid for dining on the ship through our cruise fare, but we love fish and seafood so we hate to miss any opportunities for great food while in port. We're planning to go to Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau but are there any other places for seafood and fish that are not to be missed?

I know we have already paid for dining on the ship through our cruise fare, but we love fish and seafood so we hate to miss any opportunities for great food while in port. We're planning to go to Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau but are there any other places for seafood and fish that are not to be missed?
I notice you have posts for the Millennium stopping in Vancouver. Vancouver has LOTS of seafood opportunities. Plan to stay a week while you eat your way across the city.

1. Seasons in the Park, Queen Elizabeth Park (West 33rd Avenue at Cambie Street)
  2. Salmon House on the Hill, 2229 Folkestone Way, West Van
  3. Boathouse Restaurant, Various locations
  4. Sandbar Seafood Restaurant

Do you like chocolate or gelato?

Edited by xlxo

I notice you have posts for the Millennium stopping in Vancouver. Vancouver has LOTS of seafood opportunities. Plan to stay a week while you eat your way across the city.

1. Seasons in the Park, Queen Elizabeth Park (West 33rd Avenue at Cambie Street)
  2. Salmon House on the Hill, 2229 Folkestone Way, West Van
  3. Boathouse Restaurant, Various locations
  4. Sandbar Seafood Restaurant

Do you like chocolate or gelato?

Any not to miss seafood opportunities in Anchorage?

Hey, if you're ship stops in Icy Strait, do go to the Office Bar, in Hoonah, ain't much to look at,:rolleyes::eek: but the crab they have is great!!:) They have a guest book, a few tables inside and the bar. Oh forgot about the crab shack there on the dock, haven't been there yet, but when the Radiance will dock there in Sept, will be planning to have crab for breakfast, then have lunch later at the Office Bar. Will eat fish any ole time of the day, or week.:)

Edited by gottagoacruzn

You may not want to get your heart set on "Tracy's"; everyone else in port looking for local flavor has the same idea. On our July cruise, the line was extremely long and for us, standing in it wasn't the way we wanted to spend our time while in port.

In Ketchikan we tried a touristy place called "Annabelle's", but enjoyed it very much. They offered some excellent Alaskan brews and local fresh fish entrees. However our glib waiter told us to steer clear of the prepared salmon dishes because they were made from canned salmon. This seemed like a travesty.

You may not want to get your heart set on "Tracy's"; everyone else in port looking for local flavor has the same idea. On our July cruise, the line was extremely long and for us, standing in it wasn't the way we wanted to spend our time while in port.

In Ketchikan we tried a touristy place called "Annabelle's", but enjoyed it very much. They offered some excellent Alaskan brews and local fresh fish entrees. However our glib waiter told us to steer clear of the prepared salmon dishes because they were made from canned salmon. This seemed like a travesty.

Yah.... I went to Tracy about 3pm when the lines were shorter. That $25 crab leg was just a mid-afternoon snack to warm me up for the evening meal. http://www.kingcrabshack.com/Crab%20Menu%202013%20rev1.pdf

Canned salmon??? OMG... did you ask when it was farmed?

Perhaps the next time we go to Tracy we should ask when was the crab frozen. At least in some Vancouver restaurants the crab is brought to the table LIVE for you to pose for pictures prior to your meal.

Edited by xlxo

Last year there was a food-truck type set up near the grocery store (Fairway Market) in Skagway. We had an awesome lunch of shrimp and chips. They also had a variety of crab and fish that we didn't get to try. I think it was on the corner of 4th and State. In the grocery store parking lot, there was an espresso/latte truck which had decent coffee. I just did a Google street view, and I am nearly 100% certain that is the location.