Getaway Italian restaurant

We are sailing on the Getaway in May and are planing out our specialty dining, I would like some feed back from some of you that have done the Italian restaurant is it worth paying extra? We like good Italian food but see the the up charge is only $15pp so is it more like Olive Garden that I can get back at home? ( and no I do not consider Olive Garden good Italian food)

TIA

Osso Buco has always been to die for, other dishes can apparently be hit or miss.

We like La Cucina menu a lot better than Le Bistro but here on CC at least we are in a minority.

Edited by Demonyte

We've eaten twice at the Italian restaurant, one being on the Getaway. We love it .

For an appetizer we had their pizza which was very good and then for the entrees, I had the chicken parm and my husband had egg plant.

For $15 pp it's a good restaurant to eat at and i put it above Olive garden.

I was on the Breakaway the sister ship of the Getaway we ate at all the specialty dining room with the EXCEPTION of the Italian restaurant, La Cucina. We happen to all be italian and we were originally booked to eat a dinner there but when we looked at the menu when we boarded we decided it was nothing special, very close to what an Olive Garden is, we kind of peeked lightly at the table close to the menu stand were eating and decided forget it. We also noticed a tremendous amount of small kids eating there, we never went and don't regret not going. We are currently booked for the Getaway next year, we won't be eating there again.

Ate a La Cucina on the Breakaway and thought it was well worth the up charge. It was actually one of the more enjoyable specialty dining experiences we had. I thought the food was much better than Olive Garden quality. Although not Italian by heritage, I am a New Yorker, so I know the difference between Olive Garden and good Italian food. If you are only doing one up charge, I would personally recommend Cagney's, but if you are trying a few, La Cucina is definitely worth it.

We are sailing on the Getaway in May and are planing out our specialty dining, I would like some feed back from some of you that have done the Italian restaurant is it worth paying extra? We like good Italian food but see the the up charge is only $15pp so is it more like Olive Garden that I can get back at home? ( and no I do not consider Olive Garden good Italian food)

TIA

We sat out on the waterfront and had a wonderful time. The Osso Buco was delicious.

We were debating the same thing. We are not fans of Olive Garden. That said, we have the UDP so, we decided to have our first dinner there on our cruise in March. And here's how I decided. I Googled pictures of the food there. I followed pictures to reviews. Reading and looking, I discovered that maybe the pasta isn't great, but the Osso Bucco looks very similar to a meal I had in a small town in Italy. The ribeye looks amazing as do the pizzas and the calamari.

Like my husband said, if we don't like it, we go somewhere else. A freebie venue or Carlo's bakery, the Gelateria, or.......

We thought it might be a smidge quieter than other venues on the first night, that we just may get to sit outside, and that if it isn't great, we'll just move on up from there.

I think it's worth a try. I read a number of reviews from people who had avoided it based on reviews and they regretted not trying it on other cruises because they loved it.

i find reviews to be hit or miss. Good to be informed, though.

Good travels!

Imo the Osso Buco is one of the best dishes I've had on a ship. The other dishes were good as well. Much better than an Olive Garden in our experience. for $15 I would recommend you give it a try!

The osso bucco is the best menu item...

Good to know. Thanks! :)

All of my family love Italian food.

We've been to La Cucina twice. The first time I had the Osso Bucco and thought it was great, but nobody else finished their meals.

The second time, just my wife and I went. I tried a pasta dish, which I thought wasn't as nice as the pasta I'd had at the buffet earlier in the week. Again, my wife didn't finish hers.

I'd love to go back for the Osso Bucco, but I've run out of people to go with.

I'd certainly advise anyone to give it a go, don't just rely on reviews, but I've always found Italian food to be something which is hard to mess up. I've never known an Italian to get as many bad reviews as La Cucina does.

It's a shame, because I think the venue on the Breakaway and Getaway looks really nice.

Edited by KeithJenner