Not sure if I want to book-Getaway rolls alot

vegasgirl6

We were on the Getaway in January in an aft facing balcony stateroom deck 9. Had no problem with motion or rolling.

LOVE the Getaway - now have cruises booked for both the Breakaway and the Escape.

Sailed on Getaway Jan 9th. Had an aft balcony deck 11 with the 180 degree view. We did notice there is more movement on this ship than any of the other ships we have been on. Waves weren't high but I know several people I talked to mentioned the movement. We never get seasick and always take a Bonine every day, starting the day of the cruise before we even get on the ship.

I've been reading some reviews that say this ship has more movement than any other they have been on. I want to book a cruise for me and my daughter, but she gets motion sickness very easily and I would not want to book this ship if that's the case.

Any input will be greatly appreicated. Looking to book 1st week in August. (Another "i"m not sure because of hurricane season.)

I have not sailed on the Breakaway or Getaway, so my comments are based more on hear say, but there would be no reason for either to rock and roll unless they hit really rough seas. Remember, take all remarks especially negative ones with a grain of salt. There are those who prefer to tell you bad, there are those who do not like a particular product and there are those who are never happy. I would check the actual review section of CC and see what others are saying. As for the August booking, there is no guarantee of anything. We have sailed a few times in August, normally they sailings have been great, but in one case we returned to the states just before Andrew hit.

Me being prone to seasickness and having sailed on two NCL megaships (Epic and Getaway) plus most Dawn class and Jewel class ships, I wouldn't say that megaships would roll any more than smaller ships.

As several other members have posted here before me, it's all about the weather conditions combined to ship's position, direction and speed - no two cruises even on the same ship are the same, so unless one person is able to be on two different ships simultaneously in exactly same place going on exactly same route, even trying to compare them by gut feeling is absolutely worthless.

What you are describing is like someone who encountered turbulence on a Southwest flight and swore they never had that issue on United. The issue is the ocean conditions at any given time, not the ship.

Our sailing ( and that of many others ) on the Getaway had no roll or pitch problems. How do you account for that?

As I stated, the Getaway had 5ft or less waves, the Breakaway experienced higher waves and you could feel the movement more on the Getaway. Just stating what I experienced.

Clearly other people on this thread had the same experience.

Not all ships roll the same way. Ships can be either stiff or tender depending on hull shape and distribution of weights. Stiff ships resist rolling, but have a quick motion which is uncomfortable to passengers; tender ships roll more easily but the motion is slower.

I have no idea of the roll characteristics of Getaway/Breakaway versus other cruise ships. I do note that they are very high, very long, and comparatively thin, in order to maximize space for more profitable outside cabins. They're the opposite of icebergs -- most of the ship is above water and visible, as they probably draw 30 feet or less. Somebody who knows more about this than me might be able to say if the hull shape (and presumed weight distribution) of BA/GA would be more or less prone to rolling.

Barring some extraordinary (and unknown?) differences between the two ships, my guess is that the two should have identical roll characteristics. Maybe Getaway's stabilizers aren't as effective?

You can get sea sick at anytime. Even in the calmest of seas. As many others have said, just be prepared. I am cruising at the end of August and the first night, I always tend to be a little unsettled. Then I get my sea legs and am fine. Just eat lightly, no greasy food and get rest. As for sailing in August, it's about the only time I can go this year, so I will take my chances with the hurricanes. I spoke to my cruise consultant about it and was told they sail rain or shine. They just maneuver the ship away from the storms if possible. They always try to make the trip pleasant by sailing out of the weather if they can. So book away!:)

As I stated, the Getaway had 5ft or less waves, the Breakaway experienced higher waves and you could feel the movement more on the Getaway. Just stating what I experienced.

Clearly other people on this thread had the same experience.

As several other members have posted here before me, it's all about the weather conditions combined to ship's position, direction and speed - no two cruises even on the same ship are the same, so unless one person is able to be on two different ships simultaneously in exactly same place going on exactly same route, even trying to compare them by gut feeling is absolutely worthless.

SliceOfLife, not doubting that this is what YOU experienced on YOUR cruise. This is not what I experienced on MY cruise. No two cruises are the same due to a variety of factors as pointed out by Demonyte. I don't believe anyone should infer that the experience of either of us will be true for their cruise.

Greetings

Just one point I would like to add. Ship's roll (side to side motion) can be dampened by the stabilizers. BUT the Captain decides when it is necessary to deploy the stabilizers, they are retractable. Different ships have different captains. One captain may have thought the roll was too great while another captain thought it was fine. This is why cruisers may have had different experiences on similar (or even the same) ship.

Good Sailing

Tom

Just one point I would like to add. Ship's roll (side to side motion) can be dampened by the stabilizers. BUT the Captain decides when it is necessary to deploy the stabilizers, they are retractable. Different ships have different captains. One captain may have thought the roll was too great while another captain thought it was fine. This is why cruisers may have had different experiences on similar (or even the same) ship.

Excellent point - I totally left human factor out of my list of causes.

Edited by Demonyte

• 5 months later...

The faster the ship is going, the more it rolls. So when we sailed on the Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda over 2.5 days there was no problem. On the way back where it does the same distance in 1.5 days, the motion on the ship was noticeably worse though the sea conditions were calm.

Sea sick itself is unpredictable .

D. W. got it only on cruise # 18 in the Caribbean with not bad seas. :eek:

It took a while to figure it out Too as she never got sick before even after a couple of Hurricane cruises.

.:confused::confused::confused:

I've been reading some reviews that say this ship has more movement than any other they have been on. I want to book a cruise for me and my daughter, but she gets motion sickness very easily and I would not want to book this ship if that's the case.

Any input will be greatly appreicated. Looking to book 1st week in August. (Another "i"m not sure because of hurricane season.)

I've sailed both the Getaway and Breakaway, as well as a number of other ships on different lines. I don't think Getaway or Breakaway are better or worse than any other ship as far as movement. The higher the deck and the further you are from mid ship the more noticeable movement is, and of course it is very weather dependent. The last night of my Breakaway cruise to the Bahamas was very choppy but that's because it was the Atlantic Ocean in the winter and there was some weather (and because I had an aft-facing cabin).

It also rolled back and forth but the pitch was very noticeable in the aft.

Just commenting on how different the movements felt from the Breakaway to the Getaway. A few people we talked with in the Getaway had also sailed the Breakaway and agreed the Getaway had more movement.

This is all anecdotal evidence and not really worth much because weather and sea state plays a much more important role in how much motion you feel than anything else. Unless you've been on both ships for an extended period of time (such as by being a crew member, for several months), comparing your one week vacation on the getaway to your one week vacation on the breakaway and saying the getaway had more movement is not really indicative that one ship actually has more movement than the other.

I get very sea sick, we were on the Disney Dream following Hurricane Irene in2011 and it was so bad it had me reconsider ever cruising again-and we LOVE cruising. We sailed on the Getaway last August and I was fine the whole trip. Took ginger regularly just in case, but it was one of the better trips we've had in 6 cruises. We're actually going to be on her again in two weeks. August is during hurricane season and you are taking a chance going then. Have med ready just in case.

We were on the Getaway the first week of May. First evening, there was some motion - enough to cause our closet door to slide open with a bang at 2am, but it was over the next day and for the rest of the cruise. I am prone to motion sickness but did not get sick since I was laying down in bed. Basically, I slept through the motion. We were in a forward cabin. I also noticed some vibration when we were in aft venues like the sushi bar and Illusionarium at times. However, for most of the cruise, there was little to no motion at all. I've been on ships with a lot of motion where they bring out the seasick table in the lobby and have seasickness bags available on railings all over the ship and it was nothing like those kinds of cruises (going up to Alaska, the Bay of Biscay). Since your daughter has trouble with motion sickness, I'd suggest you get a midship cabin. Talk to her doctor about her taking a motion sickness preventative such as Bonine - see what the doctor recommends so that she has a good cruise. Also remember, motion sickness is much more likely on smaller vessels such as ferries, so even if the seas are calm, if you are doing an excursion that involves smaller boats, DO make sure she takes the sea sickness medicine an hour before boarding.

Finally, if the medicine has not worked or you don't have it with you and she gets seasick, then get a very cold can of soda or a bag of ice and place it on the front of your daughter's throat. This will calm down the feeling of needing to vomit. Have your daughter lay down if at all possible while doing this and focus on her breathing so that she relaxes. Sometimes it helps to slowly count to four as she inhales through the nose and exhales through the mouth. This works for pretty much everyone regardless of why they are nauseated and is a good plan of action to have if you need to transport someone to the ER or doctor's office as it will not cause any harm and there is no risk of conflicting medications, of course, it is always smart to carry a plastic bag of some type with you in case your daughter does get seasick.

I have sailed on both Breakaway and Getaway and I have no clue what your talking about. I have not experienced any rolling. I was up in Haven suites both times. Sound like post from someone that just doesn't like NCL.

I agree totally, and I was in a stern suite, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary.;)