Stockholm Advice thread 2015

We are looking at 2 cruises early September and late September. Wondering about the weather if it is going to be to cold. Have never been in the Northern areas. Some of the ports we are visiting is Copenhagen,St Pertersburgh. Stockholm. Poland, an Lithuania. Anyone from that area or have already been here...any advice. Really don't want to be wearing heavy coats. Don't mind if it a little cool, but not into really cold.

We are looking at 2 cruises early September and late September. Wondering about the weather if it is going to be to cold. Have never been in the Northern areas. Some of the ports we are visiting is Copenhagen,St Pertersburgh. Stockholm. Poland, an Lithuania. Anyone from that area or have already been here...any advice. Really don't want to be wearing heavy coats. Don't mind if it a little cool, but not into really cold.

Like weather in general here, it varies from year to year.

Some years the summer extends a far into September, other years it gets chilly already at the end of August.

Hi! What time do shopping malls/stores close on Sundays?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It varies a little but on a regular Sunday stores are open until at least 4-5pm.

Some stores are open longer and some (usually smaller independent ones outside gallerias) are open shorter.

I am looking at walking from the Vasa Museum to Sergels Torg (to meet our walking tour guide). According to Google Maps, this is a 2.1 km walk.

1. Is there any reason not to make this walk (e.g. unsafe area of town, poor or non-existent footpaths, etc.)?

2. I see that the route goes along Strangvagen. Is this a scenic walk?

Thank you for your advice.

I am looking at walking from the Vasa Museum to Sergels Torg.

1. Is there any reason not to make this walk (e.g. unsafe area of town, poor or non-existent footpaths, etc.)?

Its a very nice and easy walk, especially if the weather is sunny. I have done that one myself several times. I think Standvägen has the highest housing prices in Sweden so its a wealthy district.

You will then follow Hamngatan cross the city center. First you'll see the Royal Dramatic Theatre with its golden entrance, then passing Norrmalmstorg square, "Kungsträdgården" - the King's Garden park, the pretigious "N.K." Department store and the entrance to the "Gallerian" shopping mall before reaching "Sergels Torg".

I am looking at walking from the Vasa Museum to Sergels Torg (to meet our walking tour guide). According to Google Maps, this is a 2.1 km walk.

Thank you for your advice.

That is a classic Stockholm walk along one of the most 'elite' avenues in Sweden and it is very scenic. As you approach Dramaten, the Swedish Royal Theatre, which has a very popular café , and you pass a boutique that is very famous in Swedish design, Svenskt Tenn at number 5 and the Diplomat hotel. You pass very close to the best shopping areas in Stockholm on your way to Sergels Torg.

You do have a tram running this route as well, if quicker transport would be needed.

Sergels Torg itself can be a little mixed, but it is the heart of the city in many ways.

HEllo,

I will be arriving by cruise ship on a Tues. morning at Frihamen.There are 4 of us.

1. Would it be easy getting a taxi for all of us to take us to our hotel?

2. If we took the T baum from Zinkensdamm to centralen, how many zones would that be and how much would it cost?

3. # of zones from T baum from Zinkensdamm to Vassa and cost?

Debating whether to buy the coupon book of 16 tickets to share with my wife or get the travel card. We are walkers.

4. If we buy the travel card, we would most likely take Tbaum to hotel near Zinkensdamm from cruise terminal. If we do that where would we buy the travel card?

Looking at many options. Thanks for your help

Coupon books? I don't know but I don't think they sell those any more.

1. I don't know but I would assume that it is not easy. If you want to use a taxi I would recommend pre-booking one.

2. That is one zone (the entire subway is zone A). Cash price is 44 SEK (about 5 US dollars). If you use the official ticket app price is 36 SEK (about 4.5 US dollars).

3. Entire central Stockholm is zone A.

You cannot go with the subway all the way. Subway (T-bana) red line #14 towards Mörby, get off at Östermalmstorg. Walk 300m to Nybroplan tram stop and go with tram #7

towards Waldermarsudde. Get off at Djurgårdsbron or Nordiska museet/Vasamuseet.

I recommend to get off at Djurgårdsbron (the distance is the same) so that you can walk over the beautiful bridge and enjoy the very scenic routes.

4. You can buy it from the tourist office kiosk located in the cruise terminal building at Frihamnen.

Östermalmtorg-Nybroplan.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/%C3%96stermalmstorg+T-bana/Stockholm+Nybroplan/@59.3338542,18.0729146,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d5b7bcdfd6d:0x13d948724884c5dc!2m2!1d18.074083!2d59.334973!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d5bb559edd5:0x35c4743cccabec4c!2m2!1d18.076552!2d59.33273!3e2

Djurgårdsbron-Vasa

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stockholm+Djurg%C3%A5rdsbron/59.328777,18.0925442/@59.3296554,18.0955176,17z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d5234b9e9f3:0xcb297fb16bb5469e!2m2!1d18.093486!2d59.331823!1m0!3e2

For zones, go here: http://sl.se/en/ click the arrows on the map and then check zones and stations.

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you for all your help. One more question. If I were to buy a ticket or travel card buy it from the tourist office kiosk located in the cruise terminal building at Frihamnen, do you know if I would be able to use a credit card. I do have a chip in mine.

Thank you all for posting. Need to get through everything but I imagine there not too much to ask. In any case, I am not going strictly on a cruise except for mini-ones as we (family of 4 total) do a parents 50th Wedding Anniversary trip with Cox & Kings tours. We have two "overnight cruises" - one on Viking from Stockholm to Helsinki. Don't laugh- have done around 5 real cruises but it has long been a wish of mine to see all aspects (land and waters) of Scandinavia. Here's what is already planned to be visited in Stockholm: Drottningholm Palace, Ice Bar, Royal Palace, Cathedral, Royal Theater, Old Town (City Hall), Vasa Museum, and Skansen Open Air Museum.

The tour seems to cover a LOT but we still have a free morning- until 4:00pm in Stockholm that I am hoping to fill. Any suggestions? I am interested in the Abba Museum but for the expense, it seems we will only be able to stay there for 3 hours- is that enough time there? OR anything else for non-musically inclined people in Stockholm?

Unfortunately, after ON cruise to Helsinki, we have no free time there. I hope the guided tour in enough (Finlandia Hall, Sibelius Monument, Helsinki Cathedral, Rock Church and Market Square).

Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you all for posting. Need to get through everything but I imagine there not too much to ask. In any case, I am not going strictly on a cruise except for mini-ones as we (family of 4 total) do a parents 50th Wedding Anniversary trip with Cox & Kings tours. We have two "overnight cruises" - one on Viking from Stockholm to Helsinki. Don't laugh- have done around 5 real cruises but it has long been a wish of mine to see all aspects (land and waters) of Scandinavia. Here's what is already planned to be visited in Stockholm: Drottningholm Palace, Ice Bar, Royal Palace, Cathedral, Royal Theater, Old Town (City Hall), Vasa Museum, and Skansen Open Air Museum.

The tour seems to cover a LOT but we still have a free morning- until 4:00pm in Stockholm that I am hoping to fill. Any suggestions? I am interested in the Abba Museum but for the expense, it seems we will only be able to stay there for 3 hours- is that enough time there? OR anything else for non-musically inclined people in Stockholm?

Unfortunately, after ON cruise to Helsinki, we have no free time there. I hope the guided tour in enough (Finlandia Hall, Sibelius Monument, Helsinki Cathedral, Rock Church and Market Square).

Thank you very much in advance.

We did the Abba Museum on our recent Northern Europe cruise, along with Skaansen which is basically across the street (the VASA Museum is also nearby but we had done that on a previous visit). The Abba Museum is great fun with lots of Abba music , memorabilia and history of how the group formed and rose to stardom. It definitely does not require anywhere close to three hours to visit, one to two tops. Another museum we really enjoyed is the Royal Armory museum at the Royal Palace, the old carraiges are gorgeous!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hi, I wanted to know should I buy my ticket for Flygbussarna on line or do they have a manned booth. I will want to pay by credit card and wondering if I have a problem but will have some SEK as well. It seems to be about 25.00 for two one way. Where will I find them when I leave the Arlanda airport. Thanks, Briody

Hi, I wanted to know should I buy my ticket for Flygbussarna on line or do they have a manned booth. I will want to pay by credit card and wondering if I have a problem but will have some SEK as well. It seems to be about 25.00 for two one way. Where will I find them when I leave the Arlanda airport. Thanks, Briody

http://www.flygbussarna.se/en/arlanda

At the airport

•Flygbussarna ticket machines at our bus stops at T5, T4 and T2, and in the arrivals halls at T5 and T4.

•7-Eleven and Pressbyrån

•7-Eleven T5, open Monday–Sunday 07:00–23:00

•7-Eleven T4, open Monday–Friday 05:00–24:00, Saturday & Sunday 07:00–24:00

•Pressbyrån T5, open Monday–Sunday 07:00–23:00, Saturday 08:00–23:00

•Swedavia's information desk at Terminals 2, 4 and 5. Outside opening hours, it is possible to buy tickets with cash on the ground floor by the parking office in Terminal 5

At Cityterminalen

•Ticket machines by gates 2, 3 & 5

•The Flygbussarna ticket desk is open Monday–Sunday 03:15–19:30, Saturday until 19:00. We accept payment in euro, pounds, dollars, and Norwegian, Danish and Swedish crowns.

•Pressbyrån, open Monday–Sunday 05:00–23:00

•CityButiken, open Monday–Sunday 04:00–22:00

Edited by MADflyer

Hello Desdichado62

I am looking for some advice in getting the most out of our day in Stckholm. We will be at Stadsgarden S167 on 18th Aug from 8am-5pm

We would like to visit Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan and do a tour of City Hall.

Do you think this is possible and what would be the best way to approach it.

We are not averse to doing a ship's tour and there are two possibilities

1 Vasa Museum plus a drive through of the old town and Djurgarden

2 City Hall tour and walk through the old town

Do you think we would be better to do one of these and do the rest by ourselves or do the lot on our own. We are not terribly adventurous on our own

Thank you in anticipation for your help and also for all the valuable advice and maps you have previously provided.

Pam

With the things you are planning, you should make this a DIY port.

The only "issue" is that you cannot pre-book City hall tours so you have to go there to book a slot for that day.

I'd say do Vasa first, them old town and if you have time/energy left to do something more then walk over to the City Hall and see if there is any available tour slots.

You have info about the City Hall in the first post.

With the things you are planning, you should make this a DIY port.

The only "issue" is that you cannot pre-book City hall tours so you have to go there to book a slot for that day.

I'd say do Vasa first, them old town and if you have time/energy left to do something more then walk over to the City Hall and see if there is any available tour slots.

You have info about the City Hall in the first post.

Thank you for your help and very prompt reply. Will have to work on my plan for the day.

Pam