Carnival Dining Room Shows - Yay or Nay?

Yvonne

Main Dining Room Show/Dancing- Yay or Nay?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Main Dining Room Show/Dancing- Yay or Nay?

• Yes, I love them! Keep them!
    • No, I don't like them and wouldn't mind them going away.
    • Other, because there has to be an other option.

This is my first time trying to do a poll, so hope it works.

On Carnival ships do you enjoy the special show/dancing the servers do in the main dining rooms? Especially where people are waving their napkins 'round and 'round?

Personally, I don't care for them and wish they would do away with them. The servers are rushed as it is, then they have to stop doing what they're doing - as in taking care of their customers, and take time away from them to dance and sing, etc. And the napkin waving by all the guests in the dining room just makes me cringe. Here they have been wiping food off their mouths and now they're flinging those bits of food all over the restaurant. Blech! :(

So, how do YOU feel about the dining room shows? Yay or Nay?

There are a number of family oriented restaurants around the country that do this or similar waitstaff entertainment. People who frequent them usually go in large parties and because they like the show. Overparanoia on flying food and germs be danged!

You have other non-entertainment dining venues on the ship you can eat at if this bothers you for any reason. The shows aren't that long, although you might feel they are long because you're waiting for dessert. And the waiters aren't back up that much more than on non-show nights.

Yeah, it's kinda cheesy, and the singing and dancing isn't The Voice or DWTS quality, but still lots of folks like it. So why be a party pooper?

Love the singing and dancing waiters! Agree that it is one of the things that is "fun" on the fun ships. Not worried about people's napkins. Not a big deal. Also, as mentioned, they do not do it for very long so it really does not effect service.

I also picked "other" because I have never seen a show in the MDR and I couldn't care less if they exist or not.

I go to restaurants to enjoy the food.

I have never waited around to watch waiters sing or dance or whatever they do!

If you had asked me prior to my last sailing, I probably would have said get rid of them. However, after sailing with friends who had never cruised before, I say keep it. Seeing them enjoy the shows was a treat! And you know what? Life's too short not to have fun.

Gahhhh, Nothing says "5-star dining" like the wait staff dancing on tables or people waving their napkins around like they're at a rodeo....

No thank you. We intentionally avoid the dining room those nights or get up and leave. I also feel sorry and/or embarrassed for the staff who are required to participate.

Edited by LostPuppy

Keep them. We enjoyed them and had something all but one night of an 8 night cruise. Odd, there was a waiter singing but did not have the group goodbye song and I kinda missed hearing that. Since they are late in the dining time, if someone doesn't wish to hear the fun, then they are welcome to leave.

Keep the entertainment ! it is at the end of dinner most of the time so if you don't like it then get up and leave..

Kinda hard to just "get up and leave" when you're waiting for your entree. ;)

We had anytime dining and out traveling companions preferred to eat in the dining room at 6:30 so most nights (I think one night we went at 7:15 and managed to avoid the "show") they did the "show" while we were there.

And I don't think anyone is a "grump" if they happen to not like the singing and dancing done by the waiters. It's simply something that some of us do not enjoy. :)

Life's too short not to have fun.

There it is in a nutshell!

Gahhhh, Nothing says "5-star dining" like the wait staff dancing on tables or people waving their napkins around like they're at a rodeo....

Whoever said Carnival was 5-star dining? :D

I also do not care for them and feel so sorry for the staff I see each cruise that appears to be mortified at what they are being asked to do.

I do understand people who love it though, I would just not be unhappy if it were taken away.

I love the shows and after 28 cruises with Carnival have yet to run into staff that seem "mortified". Once or twice we've had some crappy dining staff that had crappy attitudes about the show, but trust me, that also spilled out into their job as servers too. Wasn't just the show, believe me.

I voted "other" simply because while I do like the shows I wish they were different on each ship and rotated the shows each month or so or, if everyone was doing the same show, change the entire show each month. We sail so often (2-3 times per year) that I now know all the words and dances to the shows, lol! It'd be nice to see some variety in them.

I also do not care for them and feel so sorry for the staff I see each cruise that appears to be mortified at what they are being asked to do.

I do understand people who love it though, I would just not be unhappy if it were taken away.

I agree. My waiter and Maitre' D said they wish they would do away with the dancing. The staff are embarrassed.

For me they are take it or leave it...they don't bother me but I don't miss them when they don't occur. On the other hand...while traveling with teens and older youngsters I can say that the kids adore it and couldn't wait for them. And I haven't ever had the feeling that the staff feels embarrassed or absurd. In fact because of the "kids" at our table they often come over and dance with them. I do think my sister would miss it if it was gone...it's her chance to let loose when she "participates' and her grand kids love watching her and laughing with her. I kind of envy people who, like my sister, don't give a hoot what others think.

I can't decide. My kids like them, I enjoy the goodbye song and That's Amore as cruise traditions, and the waiters always seem good natured about participating, but I don't want anyone feeling embarrassed about making fools of themselves for our entertainment and sometimes I like the illusion of old-fashion elegant dining.