Carnival Dining Room Shows - Yay or Nay?

Yvonne

Main Dining Room Show/Dancing- Yay or Nay?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Main Dining Room Show/Dancing- Yay or Nay?

• Yes, I love them! Keep them!
    • No, I don't like them and wouldn't mind them going away.
    • Other, because there has to be an other option.

Yes germs are all over the menus. But, having food (either crumbs or food that was spit out) or snot flung onto your body or onto your food, is just as bad as being sneezed/coughed on.

I always want to leave when I see people starting to twirl the dirty napkins, but my family get upset when I do. So I just cover my plate or my face.

Yeah if I ever saw snot flinging, I would change my opinion. Fortunately I never have had that or an abundance of crumbs flying around. But hey ymmv.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I'm spending very little trying to imagine how crumbs got into my napkin, or worse, germs. By the time twirling starts, I may have wiped the corner of my mouth, but never brushed my teeth with it.

The dancing on the serving stations which may contaminate the bottom of the tray was an interesting scenario as well. My food nor even my plate ever touches the bottom of that tray.

Most will get more contamination from a simple cough.

Or your TV remote control!

I'm with you. I'm not going to spend energy panicking about people waving their napkins around. I get that it's worrisome for some people, but it's not the kind of thing that's going to get in the way of my good time.

This is one of those things that makes carnival "fun" and separates it from other brands. I know it's not for everyone, but it is part of the atmosphere that makes these ships what they are.

How does this seperate Carnival? Disney does it Every Night.

I remember waiters from cruises way back when while I don't remember the ones from recent cruises.

And I think it is because there is no time to talk and joke with those folk now.

On our only two cruises both times our waiters took the time to talk and joke with us. Did they run around like crazy too? Of course, but they always took the time to talk to us at dinner. Even when we saw them in other areas of the ship they made a point to come over and say a word or two.

I'm spending very little trying to imagine how crumbs got into my napkin, or worse, germs. By the time twirling starts, I may have wiped the corner of my mouth, but never brushed my teeth with it.

The dancing on the serving stations which may contaminate the bottom of the tray was an interesting scenario as well. My food nor even my plate ever touches the bottom of that tray.

Most will get more contamination from a simple cough.

Like! Same here. That was my first thought when I read about them standing on the serving stations. No way to contaminate my food.

In my experience, I have found that the people that are germaphobes are the ones most likely to catch something and get sick.

Like! Same here. That was my first thought when I read about them standing on the serving stations. No way to contaminate my food.

In my experience, I have found that the people that are germaphobes are the ones most likely to catch something and get sick.

It's because they are dousing themselves in hand sanitizer and disinfectants. They are killing the good bacteria and destroying their immune systems.

If twirling napkins and standing on service tables grosses some people out, they should probably not eat out at a land based restaurant. A lot of behind the scenes germs floating around there....not to mention touching money. Can you imagine how much snot and other DNA is on a dollar bill?

It's because they are dousing themselves in hand sanitizer and disinfectants. They are killing the good bacteria and destroying their immune systems.

You are exactly correct Rena! I work for a company that sells that kind of stuff (purell, etc) and even the vendors tell you that it is really not that good for you to use.

I have family that uses (over-uses) it religiously and they are sick all the time! We never use it (just do hand washing) and we are never sick. Things that make you go hmmmm!

You are exactly correct Rena! I work for a company that sells that kind of stuff (purell, etc) and even the vendors tell you that it is really not that good for you to use.

I have family that uses (over-uses) it religiously and they are sick all the time! We never use it (just do hand washing) and we are never sick. Things that make you go hmmmm!

Hand washing is best. Wash your hands often. Not worried about twirling napkins. The idea that they should stop people from doing it is ridiculous in my opinion. If you're really that paranoid, I can't imagine being comfortable in any place on any cruise ship. Closest vacation environment there is.

Hand washing is best. Wash your hands often. Not worried about twirling napkins. The idea that they should stop people from doing it is ridiculous in my opinion. If you're really that paranoid, I can't imagine being comfortable in any place on any cruise ship. Closest vacation environment there is.

I wonder if the ones concerned about the twirling napkins flew for their cruise, rode a shuttle bus to the port, stayed pre-cruise in a motel, ate in a fast food restaurant or even have kids in school? Stay away from the buffets as well. Talk about germ incubators. :rolleyes:

Maybe they could hand out surgical masks for those worried about the awful flying infectious organisms just waiting patiently to be flung into people's mucous membranes. Hahahahahaha!!!

Better yet, they could sell masks with a nautical theme! Talk about revenue!:p

This is one of those things that makes carnival "fun" and separates it from other brands. I know it's not for everyone, but it is part of the atmosphere that makes these ships what they are.

Exactly!:D

When we sailed on RCCL, "something" seemed to be missing or just "blah" in the dining room.

Understand the concept of mass cruising/dining but years ago, both the wait staff and dining room used to go all out with decorations to match the theme of the food being served that night -- big production. It felt like a celebration rather than "move them in, move them out".

Yes, it may be a little hokey, but it is fun never the less to be able to join in the dancing/fun. After all, it is a vacation and you should be able to let loose in a good/clean fun way.

MARAPRINCE

I voted no, wouldn't mind them going away. I am not a stick in the mud, or a fuddy duddy, nor do I need to eat some prunes. :rolleyes: I don't mind the dancing, honestly - but when I am sitting and looking at my entree a few feet away on a side table waiting to be served and getting cold for 2 cruises in a row, while my wait staff dances, I could hardly be expected to be a fan. And when, on previous cruises, I sat and stared at the empty dinner plates in front of me, while longing for dessert and coffee, I could hardly be blamed for feeling the same. :mad: I moved to anytime/yourtime/whatever-it's-called dining on my last CCL cruise and got to eat without distraction or delay. I did miss the personal connection with the wait staff and table mates though. It's really not the same. :(

I love them!! the servers I had on the paradise REALLY got into it and they love entertaining. If I want a lame dining experience, i'll sail with another line. Its funny though, somebody posted on JH blog that the majority of CC members hated the show...moron, read the numbers again. :rolleyes:

I love them!! the servers I had on the paradise REALLY got into it and they love entertaining. If I want a lame dining experience, i'll sail with another line. Its funny though, somebody posted on JH blog that the majority of CC members hated the show...moron, read the numbers again. :rolleyes:

You are correct, and the staff does enjoy entertaining. Those calling it degrading are just imposing their views, not the views of those who do it. It is part of the formula for fun on the fun ships.

We have been on 45 Carnival cruises and look forward to the singing and dancing every night. We like to join in on the ones that we know. Ken's singing (currently on the Pride) is fabulous and he sounds at least as good if not better than some professional singers. Of course, it helps that we love Sinatra as well. We always ask for a table for two close to the action so we can participate and usually dance while Ken sings too.

We haven't had a problem with the wait staff being too rushed to talk with us. They always do and we see them on the Lido and other areas as well.

The waiters always seem to enjoy doing the entertainment and some even help train the others. If there should be someone who does not like doing the singing and dancing they can always happen to have to be somewhere else like the kitchen. We haven't talked to any one of them that were "mortified".

The other thing to consider is that only about 1 or 2 percent of the cruising population are on Cruise Critic. If you look around the ship you'll see that what actually happens on the ship is often at odds with what is posted on CC. Most of the people enjoy the nightly MDR entertainment. A large percentage of the passengers actually dress up for formal/elegant night. It seems that some people on CC are so intent on foisting their negative views on others, especially new cruisers, that there is some distortion of the facts.

Hope Carnival keeps this MDR tradition.

Please put this subject to rest. The MDR shows stay. Get a life and talk about something else

Thank you

Next

It's called "conversation". We'll discuss whatever we like until it dies a natural death. And we may dredge up a topic from 5 years ago, if we like.

If you don't like it, move on.

:rolleyes: