Prescription medications

molly5673

I had always taken my prescriptions & supplements in an AM/PM med box. However, after rethinking, I still take supplements in the little box, but take my prescriptions in their bottles. 1) If the sailing ends up being longer than expected, I still have plenty of my prescription meds - the supplements are not necessities. 2) If for some strange reason I had to get more medication, the bottle has the strength & dose for a pharmacist. Although I would probably be SOL out in the middle of the ocean if I ran out of meds. Difficult to imagine that the ship would carry a full pharmacy.

Anyway, no one looks at or questions the pills in the med boxes.

If your prescription is considered a controlled substance (Xanax, Fentanyl, Adderall, Codeine, Ambien, Percocet, Diazepam, etc.), you probably should have the actual printing of the prescription in some format. If I am remembering correctly, controlled prescriptions are to be carried in their prescription containers with identification of contents.

Edited by natty bumppo

I cannot speak for other states, but if you are leaving from a Florida port with a prescription medication or narcotic in your possession without the prescription, you are in violation of state law and subject to arrest.

You can put the pills in a day dispenser but bring your scrip with you to prove that it was obtained and possessed legally.

This is advice from a 29 year law enforcement veteran.

I cannot speak for other states, but if you are leaving from a Florida port with a prescription medication or narcotic in your possession without the prescription, you are in violation of state law and subject to arrest.

You can put the pills in a day dispenser but bring your scrip with you to prove that it was obtained and possessed legally.

This is advice from a 29 year law enforcement veteran.

Interesting. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who didn't know this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Once again: contact your pharmacy and ask for a "back panel." S/he will provide you with a printout with all your scripts listed. The list will include your name and the script number and date filled, doctor name, medication name, dosage instructions and description or picture of the pill (or equivalent) for each item.

This is a no-brainer folks.

Once again: contact your pharmacy and ask for a "back panel." S/he will provide you with a printout with all your scripts listed. The list will include your name and the script number and date filled, doctor name, medication name, dosage instructions and description or picture of the pill (or equivalent) for each item.

This is a no-brainer folks.

Excellent idea. A lot of cruisers may not be aware that some of their meds are controlled substances. This document could prevent a lot of trouble and fuss. PLUS, the onboard doc would love this list if the passenger becomes ill while on board.

Excellent idea. A lot of cruisers may not be aware that some of their meds are controlled substances. This document could prevent a lot of trouble and fuss. PLUS, the onboard doc would love this list if the passenger becomes ill while on board.

BTW, the "back panel" is also used for when you start seeing a new MD or DDS. Just submit it with the questionnaire you are always asked to fill out on that first visit - you know, the one that asks you to list all your medications (if, you've DC'ed any, just cross them out). Far more reliable than you trying to memorize the info.

Worst case scenario:

--TSA can detain you for a thorough interview (causing you to miss your flight) or refuse you entry into the terminal with the pills.

--U.S. Customs may ask many time-consuming questions, attempt to identify the pills (they won't take your word for it since people lie all the time at Customs), may confiscate the unlabeled medicine (if you don't have the Rx bottle or Rx with you) or refuse you entry into the country. Not sure about the legal ramifications or possible fines.

Think about it: A customs agent is responsible for keeping foreign drugs out of the country. If a person doesn't have proof that the medicine came from the US and that they have doctor approval to use the medicine, they have a legal obligation to investigate. If they cannot verify these two things, there will be a problem.

Bring your original Rx bottles. Its much easier to prove they are yours and you are allowed to use the medication with documentation. This doesn't happen often and may not happen to you, but if it does, it can ruin a vacation. Don't leave it to chance.

Also, check the drug laws in any of the foreign ports of call. Specifically, some narcotics (Oxycontin, Vicodin, etc), stimulants (such as Adderall, Vyvanse) and other controlled substances are illegal in some countries.

If you step off the ship into a foreign country with a medicine that is illegal (even if its legal in the US), you can be arrested and be held legally responsible.

I'm sure no one wants to be stuck in a jail somewhere in Mexico or the Caribbean.

If you can, keep your medication on the ship while in port to make things simple.

I was told I had to keep all my prescriptions in their bottles. I want to just fix an am/pm box for convenience and to save room. I looked on the carnival faq's and couldn't find it. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks

We are keeping our med's in the original bottles as we have to fly from LA to Florida (through Texas) each way (lots of domestic security checks) and will have some medications on our person while on foreign shores during port calls. We are just not going mess around with any risks.

All of these "warning" posts have been interesting. My own experience, and that includes 50 years of traveling from coast to coast, foreign countries, airlines, and cruises has been that I have never been asked about the medication in my possession, whether in seven day slotted carriers or in pill bottles. Guess I've just been "lucky". Does Carnival, in their paper work, expressly say anything about medications and the need for scripts, etc. or original containers. I know my airline ticket information doesn't but I've never noticed it on Carnival ticket documents.

Now I don't carry more than enough for my personal use...

I was told I had to keep all my prescriptions in their bottles. I want to just fix an am/pm box for convenience and to save room. I looked on the carnival faq's and couldn't find it. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks

My mom has MS and takes tons of pills. She puts them in the same type of container, but does carry a listing of all the meds she takes, prescription names and numbers, and the doctor's name, dosage, etc. She has done this with any travel she does and has never had an issue.

BUT.... it is illegal on all the cruise ships. My advise is to stop using it two weeks before you leave on your cruise because the affects of the marijuana sp stays in your body. I wonder if a security dog can smell it on a person's body.

Huh??? Why advise anyone to stop smoking pot 2 weeks before a cruise? I am just curious where this iscoming from? Yes, it does stay in your body for about 30 days. However, unless you are smoking on the ship or in ports why would someone stop 2 weeks before?

Just wondering. :confused: