18 year old in Studio Cabin Alone?

We are travelling on EPIC as a group and we'd like one of the party 18 year old to have their own cabin (Studio). This would be OPPOSITE their parents, but not adjacent or connecting (as the only connecting Studio cabins are other studios which aren't really suitable for 2 people. Can you advise if this would be permitted?

We are travelling on EPIC as a group and we'd like one of the party 18 year old to have their own cabin (Studio). This would be OPPOSITE their parents, but not adjacent or connecting (as the only connecting Studio cabins are other studios which aren't really suitable for 2 people. Can you advise if this would be permitted?

What are your current arrangements? I see you are leaving in less than one month. I'm confused about the studio question about the parents and connecting cabins.

Like somebody else have stated before me, the Studios on the Epic (or any other NCL ship that have studios on board), are NOT connecting to any other cabins except other studios, so this might pose a problem for you if you want to book it for an 18-year old. Especially since the Studio-area on the ship will be off limit for anybody who is not staying in a studio themselves.

And like the NCL policy states:

"Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation."

http://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements

Edited by TrumpyNor

NCL policy indicates under 21 must be in, adjacent or connected to a cabin with some 21 or older. Putting someone under 21 in studio would not work for your plan.

Honestly there are some creeps out there... especially drunk on a cruise ship. You wouldn't even have access to your "child's" room to check on them.

NCL policy indicates under 21 must be in, adjacent or connected to a cabin with some 21 or older. Putting someone under 21 in studio would not work for your plan.

Honestly there are some creeps out there... especially drunk on a cruise ship. You wouldn't even have access to your "child's" room to check on them.

Especially if this is a girl. No way I would do that.

I would book one of the parents into the studio and the 18 y/o and other parent in the regular cabin. Once onboard, no one is going to "police" who is sleeping where.

I would book one of the parents into the studio and the 18 y/o and other parent in the regular cabin. Once onboard, no one is going to "police" who is sleeping where.

I don't know if that would work because the studio area is locked. Not sure they'd give an extra key or if it would open outer door?

I don't know if that would work because the studio area is locked. Not sure they'd give an extra key or if it would open outer door?

Just switch the key with parent at bedtime. If there is a will, there is a way. Just saying. Right, wrong, or not, sometimes parents just have to make the decisions for their 'adult' children by law, just not by cruiseline law.

If putting the 18 y/o in their own cabin is what wants to be done by the parent, they can make it work. It may be a little inconvenient, but that will decide how important it is to this particular family/group

We originally looked at doing this with 2 connecting studio rooms for our two older children ages 18 and 21

We were told it would not be a problem and that we could also have an additional key to the area to check on our younger child

Oh my God you are right. I should have never let my daughters live at college at 17 and 18. God possibly 10.000 doors away from my room. And if you think there are creeps and drunks on a cruise ship, walk around a college campus sometime.

I should have been 3 doors away. Of course DDs would have hated it. I would have no problem with it. But my wife wouldn't have been crazy about me living with 1000 college age girls :)

Oh my God you are right. I should have never let my daughters live at college at 17 and 18. God possibly 10.000 doors away from my room. And if you think there are creeps and drunks on a cruise ship, walk around a college campus sometime.

I should have been 3 doors away. Of course DDs would have hated it. I would have no problem with it. But my wife wouldn't have been crazy about me living with 1000 college age girls :)

My 18 year old has two boys across the hall, and two right next door, in her dorm. But they don't drink alcohol at her college. :cool:

The above would also be my suggestion! ;)

LuLu

My 18 year old has two boys across the hall, and two right next door, in her dorm. But they don't drink alcohol at her college. :cool:

Oh there were boys in my daughters dorm too, but they don't count *LOL*

We originally looked at doing this with 2 connecting studio rooms for our two older children ages 18 and 21

We were told it would not be a problem and that we could also have an additional key to the area to check on our younger child

If you decide to pursue this, ask NCL to give you that promise in writing. That way when you reach the ship and they refuse you can try to get them in the studio's. My guess is you will never get that promise in writing from anyone at NCL that has authority to grant it.

If you decide to pursue this, ask NCL to give you that promise in writing. That way when you reach the ship and they refuse you can try to get them in the studio's. My guess is you will never get that promise in writing from anyone at NCL that has authority to grant it.

It was only ever our first and original intention and after much thought and family discussion we opted for two balcony rooms instead

My husband said he would consider it one time with our son but as for our daughter it is a definite no go

It was only ever our first and original intention and after much thought and family discussion we opted for two balcony rooms instead

My husband said he would consider it one time with our son but as for our daughter it is a definite no go

We have done this a few times - the 2 balcony rooms. It really is the better option on the ships that do not have the inside cabins directly across from the balconies. You will have more piece of mind this way, too.

Just switch the key with parent at bedtime. If there is a will, there is a way. Just saying. Right, wrong, or not, sometimes parents just have to make the decisions for their 'adult' children by law, just not by cruiseline law.

If putting the 18 y/o in their own cabin is what wants to be done by the parent, they can make it work. It may be a little inconvenient, but that will decide how important it is to this particular family/group

You took the words right out of my mouth in both of your posts. Also I would not have a problem with doing so, it is not like a prison where they do bed checks and lock down every night. Some of you may really be surprised on who ends up sleeping where according to NCL's manifests!!!!!! LOL... And YES.. this includes the adults too!!!!!!! sneaky sneaky