Vertigo????

mandmcruise

This is not my first cruise but only second. ON the first cruise i experienced no seasickness or anything of the kind. This was 6 years ago. Fast forward to May 2014, suddenly and with no explanation I was hit with a round of vertigo, one of the nasty things I have ever experienced. Extremely dizzy except when laying on my side, if up and about too long, nausea and throwing up. End up at urgent care, where they gave me a prescription for anitivert and anti nausea meds. the next day I was better, but a few days later again the same thing, the anitvert makes my extremely sleepy and the anti nausea meds is grape flavored and well that's enough said..... Anyhow I read somewhere that allergies can cause this(never had an allergy in my life and I'm 55) so i started taking generic claritan, checked with my family doc and she said that was fine and I could continue it on a regular basis or stop towards winter. So I stopped last Nov no more signs of vertigo, now I am wondering if the cruise will make it rear it's ugly head, I really, really don't want to be down on this get away. Do sea band work? Ha anyone else had vertigo and then had it aggravated by a cruise?? Thank you in advance

Never had anything as extreme as what you describe. But, I do suffer from Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. That is, I usually feel the "motion of the ocean" for several days (up to a week) after the cruise. Sometimes it's worse than others -- no explanation for that. I just take Bonine for it, and put up with my DH's "dizzy blonde" jokes. ;)

Edited by wwcruisers

I had 1 episode about 90 sec of what you are describing aroundChristmas...cruised jan11 for a week with no return of those symptons.....but had the land sickness more than a month instead of a few days....mostly noticed it on tile or concrete while walking...even bothered me in one of the ports....I know they must be related....hoping to have neither again....your dr can help you decide and have medication available if you have an occurance while cruising.... .good luck to you...

Never had anything as extreme as what you describe. But, I do suffer from Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. That is, I usually feel the "motion of the ocean" for several days (up to a week) after the cruise. Sometimes it's worse than others -- no explanation for that. I just take Bonine for it, and put up with my DH's "dizzy blonde" jokes. ;)

The thing that I can not figure out is that I suffer from Mal de Debarquement after the cruise but I do not have the symptoms when I walk abound a town during the cruise. Makes no sense.

DON

The thing that I can not figure out is that I suffer from Mal de Debarquement after the cruise but I do not have the symptoms when I walk abound a town during the cruise. Makes no sense.

DON

I've noticed that too! In fact, the "syndrome" doesn't usually set in until I've been home for a day or so. Sometimes, it's worse if I've flown home -- but not always. :confused:

My husband has Meniere's Disease which is caused by damage in the inner ear (occurred at an air show) that causes severe vertigo and permanent hearing loss. At times he gets so dizzy he starts vomiting and it's so bad that several times he has broken blood vessels in his eyes. It is not caused by allergies but they make it much worse. He was prescribed Allegra D everyday and it has helped a lot. He takes Dramamine and metoclopramide when he has an attack.

He had no problems with cruising. I hope you don't either.

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions, and experiences. Makes me feel etter. I think as a precaution I am going to start taking an allergy med here in a few days. It sure won't hurt and if it helps all the better. We are 35 days from leaving. I might get the Sea Bands too and I will bring my Antivert with me :(. Anyone on the Ecstacy 4-13, if they see an older lady laying on her side crying that will be me!!! But I am determined it is not going to happen!!!

My husband has Meniere's Disease which is caused by damage in the inner ear (occurred at an air show) that causes severe vertigo and permanent hearing loss. At times he gets so dizzy he starts vomiting and it's so bad that several times he has broken blood vessels in his eyes. It is not caused by allergies but they make it much worse. He was prescribed Allegra D everyday and it has helped a lot. He takes Dramamine and metoclopramide when he has an attack.

He had no problems with cruising. I hope you don't either.

Oh I can only imagine, he has my sympathy. I too vomited, I can't imagine having to live with it all the time.

Not sure what is causing your vertigo but I have had three ear surgeries and have cruised many times without any problems including 10-12 waves in the North Sea. I do have pretty severe vertigo at home (go figure). My DH, on the other hand, has no ear problems but needs Bonine occasionally. It works really well for him without feeling sleepy. I hope you have a great cruse.

wow you guys are really great and I really been great to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences. When I booked the cruise 2 weeks ago I didn't even give a thought to my vertigo episodes. it wasn't until later that I thought OMG I wonder if I will have a problem. Well I will be prepared. I can't wait, been working and going to school and really need this get away. Was so excited when I found the cruise and air fare at great prices

I have Meniere's Disease and vertigo attacks have sometimes landed me in the hospital. Experienced dizziness on two flights to Europe so we only do short haul flights now.

Surprisingly, I have never experienced Vertigo while cruising and I have cruised more than 30 times. :D

I always carry Gravol chewable tablets (similar to Dramamine in the USA) but haven't needed to use it on a ship.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I've had 2 instances of vertigo that put me in the ER for a few hours - room spinning, confusion, etc. I've also had a few lesser cases that lasted anywhere from a few seconds to maybe 30 minutes.

I've never figured out a trigger, in all cases, I was just going about my normal daily routine. I carry Meclazine with me almost all the time now - throw it in my laptop backback and that thing is with me most of the time.

I also get motion sickness, which, for me, is very different - much more mild. Amusement park rides, especially simulators or spinning bother me. We did a cruise a few years ago and I didn't feel great at night when the boat picked up speed, but nothing severe.

Since, I have tried the scop patch at WDW and Universal with great results. I didn't experience any lasting effects from the simulators and spinning (but still avoided things like the Teacups). I wouldn't do two simulator rides in quick succession, but other than that, there were no issues.

I plan on getting the patches for a 7 night cruise in May.

The only downside to the patch was that I felt a bit dizzy for about 2 days after I stopped using it - but it was totally worth it for the dizzy-free days in the parks!

• 2 weeks later...
Older lady? At 55?

You are just a spring chicken my girl. Probably puberty arriving:)

Whatever it is making you ill, I hope that it has gone and you have a fabulous holiday.

Ha ha spring chicken-yeah right, some days maybe but others......

I haven't had another episode since the 2 last may, never did figure it out. I am going to start up with the allergy pills here this week, because I sure don't want to be sick!!!!

thanks for your concern.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am back after 4 wonderful days and I am happy to report no vertigo what so ever while on the ship. I don't even have sea legs. The only time I felt a bit dizzy was on the plane when i was playing solitaire on the back of the seat consul. I stopped and it soon went away. It wasn't much, just like I could feel it coming on. I didn't take anything besides my allergy pill, didn't use sea bands either.

Well I am back after 4 wonderful days and I am happy to report no vertigo what so ever while on the ship. I don't even have sea legs. The only time I felt a bit dizzy was on the plane when i was playing solitaire on the back of the seat consul. I stopped and it soon went away. It wasn't much, just like I could feel it coming on. I didn't take anything besides my allergy pill, didn't use sea bands either.

Terrific -- that is great -- very happy for you.

I've had chronic vertigo for 50+ years and I take meclizine 2 x daily (everyday). I had a 7 day cruise (my first) on Jewel back in March and was very nervous I'd have a bad attack. I took my Meclizine 3x daily and Not Once did I get sick. Just to add a note: Bonine and Antivert are the exact same thing as Meclizine and you can get them from the pharmacy for less than $5 for a bottle of 100 - same strength too, 25mm. BY the way, I had the time of my life and ave already booked another cruise.

DON

Wifey gets it n port.

Allergies often cause swelling of the throat and inner ear -- and impact the mechanisms that help with balance. Claritin, Benedryl or any of a variety of allergy medication could help reduce that swelling, and perhaps make it easier for your ears to stay at the right pressure.

I often take Benedryl before flights, and reduce the pain from the pressure change.