Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Catamaran Cruise to Juneau

alshasta

Going on the Ruby in August.

Has anyone taken the Power Catamaran directly from the ship in the Tracy Arm? Its apparently a 6 hour cruise that will take you all through the Arm and reunite you with your ship in Juneau. Says there is a lot of wildlife and glaciers. I would like to know if its worth taking it

Edited by alshasta

These mid-ocean Tracy excursions are extremely popular and are the first to sell out. Some get private tours from Juneau, but has 50 miles and hours to retrace the cruise ship between Juneau and Tracy Arm. Issues to consider...

• is there a likelyhood Tracy has to much ice congestion for you to meet Sawyer
  • what time does it arrive in Juneau? Is there time for a whale watch? A trip to Mendenhal? A trip to Glacier Gardens? A meal at the crab shack?

Edited by xlxo

Going on the Ruby in August.

Has anyone taken the Power Catamaran directly from the ship in the Tracy Arm? Its apparently a 6 hour cruise that will take you all through the Arm and reunite you with your ship in Juneau. Says there is a lot of wildlife and glaciers. I would like to know if its worth taking it

We will be on the Ruby in May and I don't see this excursion listed. How did you find out about it?

Thank you!

The tour would be listed under Juneau. In the past there were also times when the cruise line had to be called to book.

IF your cruise ship is transiting Tracy Arm- you have to have a ship excursion. The only way you can go independent is if you have a full day in Juneau with port times 7a- 7p approx. There is a shorter independent, but, my opinion only- TIME is essential and superior to a "fast" trip, which is going to have less time for wildlife and glacier viewing. More Time- always equal more.

For cruise aboard the Grand last summer, the Excursions planner page would show the itinerary, and have a green button on the right to Browse/Book Excursions per stop. There was a separate button for Tracy Arm Fjord, and there was just one excursion to select. It was listed as TA1-600 "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer". Honestly, this was at least the highlight of our 2014 cruise, and possibly the best across all three that we've done.

Do dress warmly. There are seats for everyone indoors, but if everyone goes in it'll be cozy for all. I wanted to stay on the upper aft deck to be able to photograph anything/everything, and the transit from TA back to Juneau got COLD with the wind (probably 25-30+kn boat speed).

Also, if you're a photography buff, think carefully before leaving any gear in cabin. My wife and I both found great use for our ultra-wide lenses (14mm and 15mm), and for our super telephoto lenses (up to 560mm). It's Majestic Alaska, on display, for hours on end.

Is it too early to book this excursion? J94 Tracy Arm Fjord but Celebrity site will not let me book? Are there any private tours instead?

google 'tracy arm excursions' and you'll find private vendors.

I think Adventure Bound , Allen Marine ......

I had read somewhere that Celebrity was the only line that offered the excursion from the ship while at Tracy Arm. I already have an excursion booked for Juneau was just looking at possibly doing this while we were in the Fjord. Thank you!

I had read somewhere that Celebrity was the only line that offered the excursion from the ship while at Tracy Arm. I already have an excursion booked for Juneau was just looking at possibly doing this while we were in the Fjord. Thank you!
HAL offers mid-Ocean transfers into Tracy Arm. I think it's limited to HAL ships going Northbound into Juneau.

The Disney Wonder shoves the entire cruise ship into the Arm to meet Sawyer.... any closer and we would be running over the otters resting on the ice. No need for a separate excursion. Check out this vid...

[YOUTUBE]l40k_wZzVuc[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

HAL offers mid-Ocean transfers into Tracy Arm. I think it's limited to HAL ships going Northbound into Juneau.

The Disney Wonder shoves the entire cruise ship into the Arm to meet Sawyer.... any closer and we would be running over the otters resting on the ice. No need for a separate excursion. Check out this vid...

[YOUTUBE]l40k_wZzVuc[/YOUTUBE]

It's harbor seals, no otters

all the cruise lines that have Tracy Arm on their itinerary offer add on Tracy Arm ship tours with Major Marine.

Wow, I found it on the regular Princess page under excursions. Strange they wouldn't have it listed under my actual booking as an excursion. Too bad I won't be able to partake in this one as we already have an excursion booked in Juneau and the two would overlap.

Hope everyone enjoys their time in Alaska. We are super excited and can't wait!

Wow, I found it on the regular Princess page under excursions. Strange they wouldn't have it listed under my actual booking as an excursion. Too bad I won't be able to partake in this one as we already have an excursion booked in Juneau and the two would overlap.

Hope everyone enjoys their time in Alaska. We are super excited and can't wait!

There aren't alternative times available? Usually the time difference is only an hour or two between the two embarkment/disembarkation times.

There aren't alternative times available? Usually the time difference is only an hour or two between the two embarkment/disembarkation times.

No there was only the one trip. You board the catamaran in Tracy Arm and take the scenic cruise for 6 hours and they take you back to Juneau. Maybe our next trip we can do this. For now I will be checking whale watching off my bucket list! :p

No there was only the one trip. You board the catamaran in Tracy Arm and take the scenic cruise for 6 hours and they take you back to Juneau. Maybe our next trip we can do this. For now I will be checking whale watching off my bucket list! :p

Are you aware that there is a good chance that you will see some whales on the cruise back to Juneau? If it were me I would skip the whale watching, especially in Juneau, and take the glacier tour instead.

IMO while whale watching is nice, the trip deep into the fjord is much more scenic, and a whole lot more interesting.

That is a variation on some tours. Your Juneau port time is actually pretty good compared to NCL with Tracy Arm. But, what time do they have the Tracy Arm tour? You enter at 6am? I know my whale watch vendor usually runs a 3:30p tour.

That is a variation on some tours. Your Juneau port time is actually pretty good compared to NCL with Tracy Arm. But, what time do they have the Tracy Arm tour? You enter at 6am? I know my whale watch vendor usually runs a 3:30p tour.

After the previous comment I am checking into it. The actual excursion is not listed as an option for my booking. I am looking into it further as I am really interested in booking this tour. I hope they offer it on our trip.

Sorry to be blowing up this thread, lol.

I called Princess only to find out that this excursion is not available until 3 days after we get back from our trip. Guess I will have to go back to Alaska to experience this.

I love reading all of the personal experiences everyone has on their trips and am grateful for these posts!