Reserving sunbeds Azura

cruisebore

Posts such as this make me glad that I am not a sun lover and that we always book a balcony cabin so never feel the need to lie on the deck.

I would be very upset if I did want to spend some time on the deck and found that there were no free loungers but there were a lot the were reserved by towels etc. It really is time for P&O to "man up" and start to move the possessions from unused loungers It needs to be stated up front how long you can leave your possessions for and that after that time they will be removed.

It should not be up to passengers to do this because as one poster has already said in does lead to conflict and abuse but I think that would be less likely if P&O staff removed the offending articles.

Posts such as this make me glad that I am not a sun lover and that we always book a balcony cabin so never feel the need to lie on the deck.

Yup glad I booked a balcony too. Sunbathing doesn't exactly look "free range" anyway, never mind the more feral passengers marking their territory. I'll certainly not be joining the squabble for the "battery tanning" areas. I know that's what many people go on holiday for, but it's really not my style

I agree with most of the comments that P&O should take more responsibility, but they can't do everything. If they allocated more staff to remove towels on reserved sunbeds, then no doubt we would get complaints about a lack of waiters for those that don't want to walk the 15ft to the bar...

The pool areas will always be the source of some anguish - for me, my particular gripe is against those more mature guests that have the choice of all of the pools on the ship - deciding to plonk themselves right next to the only pools where children are allowed (by pools I mean swimming and not paddling) - and then start to complain and moan about the children having fun, and perhaps splashing a bit and making a bit of noise - if you don't want that, move to an adult only pool, there's plenty of them...

Rant over....

There is a simple solution that could help with the sunbed problem. Remove about 25% of them and replace with twice as many CHAIRS :eek:

Shock, horror :eek: chairs:confused: People don't sit on chairs anymore, they are for the wrinklies or those who are horizontally challenged and need a winch to get back vertical once lying down:rolleyes:

Anyway they should not be encouraging people to get skin cancer.

I don't hear very often the term 'must go in the shade for a lie down'.

On Oceana recently I noticed at least one row of sunbeds each side of the pool was in the shade of the overlying sun deck. Whats the point of loungers in that situation?

On Ventura the idiots replaced the chairs surrounding the gym with loungers, chaos! you could not even walk along the deck without the danger of tripping. Next year the chairs were back :rolleyes:

Thats another point, i think that sometimes the 'company' just don't get what the passengers really want.

MORE CHAIRS

On Oceana recently I noticed at least one row of sunbeds each side of the pool was in the shade of the overlying sun deck. Whats the point of loungers in that situation?

I quite like the idea of that (yes I know, I'm weird), a chance to lounge outside on the periphery of the madness, people watching, sipping on a cocktail or three, likely without feeling claustrophobic and dodging other passengers' elbows (I do like my personal space), and without worrying about getting crozzled by the sun. I'll keep my eyes open for such areas on Ventura.

Edited by newbieafloat

There is a simple solution that could help with the sunbed problem. Remove about 25% of them and replace with twice as many CHAIRS :eek:

Shock, horror :eek: chairs:confused: People don't sit on chairs anymore, they are for the wrinklies or those who are horizontally challenged and need a winch to get back vertical once lying down:rolleyes:

Anyway they should not be encouraging people to get skin cancer.

I don't hear very often the term 'must go in the shade for a lie down'.

On Ventura the idiots replaced the chairs surrounding the gym with loungers, chaos! you could not even walk along the deck without the danger of tripping. Next year the chairs were back :rolleyes:

Thats another point, i think that sometimes the 'company' just don't get what the passengers really want.

MORE CHAIRS

Agree Dave, especially the chairs that have a "feet up" bit under the seat that you can pull out :)

We like to sit on the promenade deck, and hardly ever sit by the pool, as it is too noisy. Chairs there would be much better.

Shock, horror :eek: chairs:confused: People don't sit on chairs anymore, they are for the wrinklies or those who are horizontally challenged and need a winch to get back vertical once lying down:rolleye

MORE CHAIRS

I'm one of those who need a winch if I get down on a sun lounger, so I look for chairs but rarely find them. I'm on Adonia next week anyone know if there are any near the pool.

It needs to be stated up front how long you can leave your possessions for and that after that time they will be removed.

IIRC P&O do put an announcement in Horizon that sunbeds should not be reserved, but it is not policed and so people ignore it.

Quite apart from the general unfairness of sunbed hogging. I particularly dislike the people who position their flipflops and other accoutrements just so, at the perfect distance for them to stand up and slip their feet in, reach out with a hand for a drink/book/bottle of suncream, which means they are taking up 1-2 feet of space all around their sunbed, and heaven help the person who encroaches or tries to fit their sunbed into the gap, or asks the person in question to make some room. "If looks could kill" doesn't come into it!

- if you don't want that, move to an adult only pool, there's plenty of them...

Rant over....

That's interesting, we are on Azura for the first time in May can someone tell me which are the adult only pools ?. Is one of the pools like the one on Arcadia with a sliding roof ?

I would say 10/15 minutes !

Yes. Long enough to go get a drink, or a snack, or a loo break. Bring it on. I'd personally keel haul those who hoard them for days

"Well, I looked at the picture in the brochure in 1997, so that entitles me to leave my towel here until the ship is broken up for rust".

Yes, we've seen that a few times and also reserving two for the sunscreen football and two in the sun etc. These issues are fairly easy to sort out if P&O wanted to. More difficult is the family or large group who reserve a bed for every person in their group but half of the never get used or the person leaving a single on either side of them in order to give themselves some space. You can't easily eradicate selfishness like that.

Of course you can.

latest?cb=20120908224556

Do not forget to charge them for the usage of cartridge.

Only slightly. It's malicious selfishness, I can't abide it. People can accidentally do something selfish or thoughtless, I do sometimes, but these people know exactly what they are doing.

You are right of course and that's why it is so difficult to stop. Replacing sunbeds with chairs won't work as these people will take a sunbed and a chair and may actually worsen the situation. I've seen people with 2 sunbeds, 2 chairs and 2 tables and as much space around them as they can.

Sadly is this attitude not common in or society nowadays?

Agree with comments re sunbeds but there is another selfish act which really annoys me and that is a couple sitting diagonally on a table for four in the buffet at lunch when space is at a premium. grrrrr !!!!!

HaHa. Yes that's another one. Maybe we should start another thread and post these.

The best one I saw was very recent. There was a couple we had noticed reserving the same loungers every day very early. In St Maarten on our way back to the ship we saw them in town. Couldn't help but check when we got back on ship and sure enough the same small articles were in place reserving "their" loungers. Priceless.

It is interesting however that everyone seems to agree it's a thing that needs controlling but yet so many seem to do it. I can only assume they don't post on this forum.

The best one I saw was very recent. There was a couple we had noticed reserving the same loungers every day very early. In St Maarten on our way back to the ship we saw them in town. Couldn't help but check when we got back on ship and sure enough the same small articles were in place reserving "their" loungers. Priceless.

It is interesting however that everyone seems to agree it's a thing that needs controlling but yet so many seem to do it. I can only assume they don't post on this forum.

On our last cruise two couples reserved their sunbeds every day. The two ladies used them pretty much all day but the men hardly appeared and at most for 5 - 10 minutes. Even when challenged these two ladies wouldn't give them up.

One Sunday all the sunbeds facing the Seascreen were reserved for the football. There were two games being shown and it turned out the vast majority were for the game at 4pm and it was 12.30. Next to me were three sunbeds and this prat laid himself down on the middle one. A lot of animosity that day.

It comes down to total selfishness. Yes, P&O should do something about it but passengers should speak up when they see others looking for sunbeds and are unable to get one. You don't need to be confrontational but just simply say you aren't allowed to reserve sunbeds. Sure they will not respond well but it may stop them in future. Naïve or what ?

Edited by dgs1956

I hope I don't have this problem on Ventura end of April. I'm not a sun worshipper but its nice to have a swim and then a lie down in the sun to dry out before going in to change. Means I'm not walking through the ship with a wet swimming costume on.

I hope I don't have this problem on Ventura end of April. I'm not a sun worshipper but its nice to have a swim and then a lie down in the sun to dry out before going in to change. Means I'm not walking through the ship with a wet swimming costume on.

Wiz 201 I have similar concerns with my July cruise on Oceana, it's nice to lie down to dry, however I don't spend too long on a sun lounger. Maybe I'll just use a "Reserved " one in a sunny spot and hope that the user doesn't come back :)

Wiz 201 I have similar concerns with my July cruise on Oceana, it's nice to lie down to dry, however I don't spend too long on a sun lounger. Maybe I'll just use a "Reserved " one in a sunny spot and hope that the user doesn't come back :)

To save any potential disputes or altercations, book the Retreat/Sanctuary then your personal reserved sunbed remains in an area of calm, for you to come and go as required.

To save any potential disputes or altercations, book the Retreat/Sanctuary then your personal reserved sunbed remains in an area of calm, for you to come and go as required.

That's a great idea - that might leave some space for us families that actually want to use the pool....