flight at end of cruise not until 7 pm - what do we do

caseycc

Are you staying at a hotel pre-cruise? Sometimes when we have, we ask the hotel if we can spend a few hours by their pool post cruise - and they have stored our luggage while we are there. Never hurts to ask.

Our flight after the cruise is not until 7 pm. Any suggestions on what to do (especially with luggage) besides sit in the airport for 7+ hours? :eek: Thanks!

What port? :confused: What airport? :confused:

Port of Miami and Miami Airport

You have options:

1. Rent a car, put the bags in the trunk, and go where you want for the day.

2. Day room - some Miami Beach hotels sell passes to their pool/spa areas - tip the staff to store your bags and relax for the day. www.between9and5.com is one source for hotels offering day rooms. Sofitel near MIA often offers day rooms.

3. Taxi to MIA (about $25), pay to store your bags (minimal fee), and then catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach - beach, shopping, people watching, art-deco architecture, drinks, art galleries, lunch, etc.. The bus only costs $2.65 each way: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes_detail.asp?route=150

Good luck! :)

You have options:

1. Rent a car, put the bags in the trunk, and go where you want for the day.

2. Day room - some Miami Beach hotels sell passes to their pool/spa areas - tip the staff to store your bags and relax for the day. www.between9and5.com is one source for hotels offering day rooms. Sofitel near MIA often offers day rooms.

3. Taxi to MIA (about $25), pay to store your bags (minimal fee), and then catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach - beach, shopping, people watching, art-deco architecture, drinks, art galleries, lunch, etc.. The bus only costs $2.65 each way: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes_detail.asp?route=150

Good luck! :)

Thanks for that link for between9and5. I had not seen that.

Rent a car. Go to Vizcaya and spend the day.

Then have a late lunch/early dinner at either Montys in Coconut Grove or The Rusty Pelican on Virginia Key. The views of downtown Miami are magnificent!

Vizcaya is beautiful! And you are so right about the view from the Rusty Pelican. Of course since I can look at the Rusty Pelican from my place, I'm probably partial to the views!

Vizcaya is beautiful! And you are so right about the view from the Rusty Pelican. Of course since I can look at the Rusty Pelican from my place, I'm probably partial to the views!
They are really gorgeous!

The rooftop bar/pool at The Gansavoort had amazing views of downtown!

We were in Miami two years ago and followed advice of one of the Miami experts.

What we did was use one of the shuttle buses outside the ship 10 us per person to go to the airport. There we left luggage in the left luggage room and then we took the airport train to the bus station. There we bought 2.35 us dollar tickets each way per person to South Beach. Ride was approx. 45 mins express (two or three stops only) and we spent the whole day in South Beach. Got the bus back to the airport at about 6 pm for a 10.50 pm flight back to the UK.

One point I would make is if you want some food make sure you get it landside as there were hardly any facilities at all once you were airside. Plenty of opportunities to eat and things to look at landside though.

Was a very enjoyable day out . Definitely would not want to spend more time in the airport than I have to.

Would highly recommend the above.

Elaine

I am in the same situation. Thanks Hotlady! I copied your instructions and will do that. Does anyone know if we have to go through security before leaving our bag at storage or is it in a convenient location outside of security? I do have the map from the website but cannot tell.

Left luggage locker room is in Block E if I remember rightly. Its landside. Guys will give you a ticket so that you can retrieve your cases later that day. Enjoy the trip to South Beach. We had a great time there just wandering about and enjoying the views.

One of the other replies above has suggested the same but for the price you can't go wrong.

Check out Miami Airport website. It will tell you which block the left luggage room is. Also its a monorail train which takes you from the airport building to the bus station. People there will help you obtain ticket and tell you which bus stop to wait at for the Flyer.