Anyone cruising the Elbe this year?

cole

Yep. November on GCT. You?

April with Vantage. This has always been on our bucket list and are really looking forward to seeing that part of Germany. We have been to Prague, but it will be nice to return for a short visit. Just hoping the river level cooperates this year since it can really put a kink in plans if too high or too low.

Cole

"We" don't speak of such things . . . :p . . . all is good on a river cruise!

A big part of my motivation is that we get several days in Berlin, I was there for three years, 40+ Years ago. If you are a history buff, Armageddon by Uris, fiction and The Last Battle by Ryan (non-fiction) are good reads.

Edited by CPT Trips

We are going in May with Viking. Adding 1 extra day in Prague at the beginning, and 2 extra days in Berlin at the end.

Have booked "A Taste of Prague" tour the day after we arrive, and will most likely be booking a Trabi Safari tour in Berlin at the end.

Extra hotel days already arranged.

Fran

"We" don't speak of such things . . . :p . . . all is good on a river cruise!

A big part of my motivation is that we get several days in Berlin, I was there for three years, 40+ Years ago. If you are a history buff, Armageddon by Uris, fiction and The Last Battle by Ryan (non-fiction) are good reads.

Definitely a history buff and have read both - plus a couple about the bombing of Dresden. It will be interesting to see that beautiful city after they have rebuilt it. We began a Christmas Market cruise in Prague 2 years ago and it will be nice to revisit without the snow (although it was beautiful, even with the snow). And no matter the river level, this will be a great trip!

Cole

On one level, that is a concern on any river cruise, just as tropical storms are a concern on Caribbean cruises June through November. Being superstitious, I shall say no more. :p Beetlejuice . . . ;)

Are you doing either the pre or post with GCT?

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who went with GCT. I'm trying to find out the specifics of the included Berlin tour. What sights are visited and is it primarily a "drive by?"

On one level, that is a concern on any river cruise, just as tropical storms are a concern on Caribbean cruises June through November. Being superstitious, I shall say no more. :p Beetlejuice . . . ;)

Are you doing either the pre or post with GCT?

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who went with GCT. I'm trying to find out the specifics of the included Berlin tour. What sights are visited and is it primarily a "drive by?"

We are cruising with Vantage and not doing a pre-cruise, other than that which is included in our itinerary. We will spend two nights in a hotel in Berlin and I am sure that the tours will not be as in depth as we would like, but surely if you have booked the pre-cruise it will be much more detailed. Like you, will not mention water level again. Everything is going to be perfect ;)

Cole

The tours are seldom as in depth as I would like. We are slated to stay on the East side of the wall, Alexander Platz, so that will be new to me. I plan to spend a fair amount of time locating the places I want to see and the U/SBahn stations. Hopefully, I can get a sense of where our included city goes enough in advance to get a decent route for the time we have.

We get three nights in Berlin. Arrival day is really no free time worth trying to see anything not in the immediate area. Day 2 city tour the lunch and the rest of the day on our own. Day 3 entirely free with a transport pass :D. Day 4 tour Potsdam and then to Magdeburg to board the ship. Then the cruise, ending with two nights in Prague - basically one full day.

I'm looking for history book recommendations, fiction or non-fiction.

The tours are seldom as in depth as I would like. We are slated to stay on the East side of the wall, Alexander Platz, so that will be new to me. I plan to spend a fair amount of time locating the places I want to see and the U/SBahn stations. Hopefully, I can get a sense of where our included city goes enough in advance to get a decent route for the time we have.

We get three nights in Berlin. Arrival day is really no free time worth trying to see anything not in the immediate area. Day 2 city tour the lunch and the rest of the day on our own. Day 3 entirely free with a transport pass :D. Day 4 tour Potsdam and then to Magdeburg to board the ship. Then the cruise, ending with two nights in Prague - basically one full day.

I'm looking for history book recommendations, fiction or non-fiction.

Firestorm (DeBruhl) and Dresden - A Survivor's Story are non-fiction about the bombing. I have just ordered the second one on the list and will read it before our trip. Both available from Amazon.

Cole

CPT Trips,

I read extensively before our 2014 visit to Germany and Czech Republic which included an Elbe cruise. My stand-out pick for Berlin's history is Rory Maclean's "Imagine a City", for Germany in WWII, is Cristobel Bielenberg's "The Past is Myself". "Letters from Prague" by Sue Gee is an easy read referencing changes in the past 70 years in Berlin and Prague.

We leave four weeks from today for the Elbe trip with Vantage, Prague to Berlin. Cole, according to the Vantage roll call, I think you head out when we finish. Last year we spent two weeks driving around Normandy, doing all the WWII sites, along with one WWI site. This trip will be a wonderful tie in. We've added an extra day in Prague and two in Berlin. We're arranging an independant tour of the Jewish Quarter on one of our free days in Prague. It's supposed to one of the only Jewish quarters left standing after WWII. Our hotels are set and we're ready to go! Can't wait!

CPT Trips,

I read extensively before our 2014 visit to Germany and Czech Republic which included an Elbe cruise. My stand-out pick for Berlin's history is Rory Maclean's "Imagine a City", for Germany in WWII, is Cristobel Bielenberg's "The Past is Myself". "Letters from Prague" by Sue Gee is an easy read referencing changes in the past 70 years in Berlin and Prague.

Found this one on my library's web site: Berlin : portrait of a city through the centuries / Rory MacLean.

No luck with the other two.

We leave four weeks from today for the Elbe trip with Vantage, Prague to Berlin. Cole, according to the Vantage roll call, I think you head out when we finish. Last year we spent two weeks driving around Normandy, doing all the WWII sites, along with one WWI site. This trip will be a wonderful tie in. We've added an extra day in Prague and two in Berlin. We're arranging an independant tour of the Jewish Quarter on one of our free days in Prague. It's supposed to one of the only Jewish quarters left standing after WWII. Our hotels are set and we're ready to go! Can't wait!

Normandy is a wonderful experience for anyone, whether a history buff or not. We were driving around and also stumbled upon a beautiful WWI cemetery. Unaware that there were any there. We toured the Jewish Quarter last time in Prague so will look forward to exploring other sites. Of course it was December and very cold, so it will be nice that the weather will be a lot warmer. Fingers still crossed that the river will cooperate throughout the cruise season this year!

Cole