Venice sailing in and docking

Suzez

Hi all, we are sailing on Navigator next year. I have been advised to have a starboard stateroom as this will give us best views of Venice when we sail in. Does anyone know if this is the best side of the ship when she is docked. I have never been to Venice before and would like to have a balcony overlooking the best sites. The stateroom we are thinking of changing to is 841 starboard.

The best views of sailing in to Venice are from the open deck. You come into the lagoon and the ship is going straight towards San Marco. You then turn left up the Canal towards the Dorsoduro, past the Customs house and there are views on both sides of the ship. if you watch from your balcony you will only see half of them and really you will miss the main experience of being in the middle of a city.

That said the last time we sailed into Venice was on the Mariner in 2010 Fog was so dense we saw nothing. We could hear children playing on the quayside but not see them. It was eery. Luckily for us we have sailed into Venice before... I hope you get great weather but be up on Deck 12 forward of the Spa for the best views.

I have been advised to have a starboard stateroom as this will give us best views of Venice when we sail in. Does anyone know if this is the best side of the ship when she is docked.

Sailing into Venice is a treat and as you have been advised the best views are from starboard: Piazza San Marco, Santa Maria della Salute, and a glimpse down the Grand Canal. Giudecca island, the area to port, does not equall the panorama of the rest of Venice in my opinion. The major attraction on the port side is San Georgio Maggiore, famously painted by Claude Monet.

The view once docked is a different matter, and likely to be less interesting and more chancy, depending on where the Navigator is located. If it ties up at the passenger terminal I don't think you will have much to see. But if the harbor master directs the Navigator to San Basilio, on the Giudecca canal, the scene should improve. You will not know which side will be to the quay, port or starboard so you will not know in advance which side to be on for the more interesting sights.

I think Hambagahle has a point when he advises being on deck for the 360 degree view of Venice as you arrive, but I have greatly enjoyed sitting on my own balcony and having a quiet drink as this beautiful city unfolds.

At the dock, at least where we have been both times, you see the dock and not much more. So I don't think it really matters which side your suite is on.

Totally agree about being up top outside for the sail in.

When we sailed in on the Mariner, we were in starboard aft suite on Deck 7 with the wraparound balcony. We were also fortunate to have a spectacular day weather-wise. It was perfection. We could hear the narration from the deck via the TV so we knew what we were seeing. And we had a view of the Grand Canal from our cabin.

Here's a preview for you, a video of an early morning Venice sail-in from the top deck of Voyager, October 2012:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByJNyPxxXswPNXhwZGIxcWJqd28/preview

The whole thing is only four minutes long. So the important thing is not so much where you see it from, but that you're ready for it when the time comes!

Great video. Was the Cruise Director doing the commentary Willie Ames?

From San Basilio (where we docked on the Mariner) once the fog lifted we had a wonderufl view - of the Hilton. I could have done with something better but the government of Venice obstinately refused to move the Customs House... Peccato!

docking at San Basilio would provide a much better view I would think, but we were docked at Mariatima I think it was called, further down away from the city and there pretty much wasn't anything to see from suite balconies, I should have clarified that in my post. So a lot can depend on where you will be docked as to which side of the ship is a better location for your suite.

Docking at San Basilio would provide a much better view I would think

From San Basilio (where we docked on the Mariner) once the fog lifted we had a wonderufl view - of the Hilton.

When we sailed in on the Mariner, we were in starboard aft suite on Deck 7 with the wraparound balcony. It was perfection. And we had a view of the Grand Canal from our cabin.

San Basilio provides a better view to the north than any view from the passenger terminal (Stazione Marittima). To the south of San Basilio, however, is Giudecca canal and island, which as Hambaghaie suggests is no great shakes. If there was any doubt about the view to starboard (north) coming into Venice being superior to the one to port (south, Giudecca island) it was refuted by drib's video, which brought back happy memories to me and is the view to starboard. Thank you drib.

You're welcome, Boreus. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

The full album is here if you're interested: http://bigdogwebpages.com/bdhome/tinydancer/tinydancer.php?path=f238150b9faa&ratings=345

Interested? I was fascinated by your Venice album, drib! You are a terrific photographer. My lens cap is off to you. Once again, thank you. I hope we cruise together sometime. I will try for some photos on the Mariner when it sails from Venice on April 30 at 11:00pm, but dark as it will be at that hour I think even you would be challenged.

Here's a preview for you, a video of an early morning Venice sail-in from the top deck of Voyager, October 2012:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByJNyPxxXswPNXhwZGIxcWJqd28/preview

The whole thing is only four minutes long. So the important thing is not so much where you see it from, but that you're ready for it when the time comes!

Thank you. I really enjoyed watching this. I didn't realise you would have a running commentary on the approach.

We have decided to stay in stateroom 836 port side. The photos look wonderful I see it may well be dark on sail in. We will have to book another cruise to sail out of Venice. I dont know what we will do when we are there, so much choice. We will be there overnight. Maybe a gondola ride then?