Dave’s Live from Maasdam 14-day Southern Caribbean, March 13-27, 2015

RetiredMustang

About getting a two-top: I didn’t make the distinction that we are in early fixed dining this cruise. We requested a two-top when we booked the cruise, and were assigned one; it is listed on our ship’s cards.

We did one cruise earlier during which we had anytime dining, and were able to get a two-top then as well. I believe there is a period of time at the height of dinner, like 6:30 to 8 or something, where you cannot reserve and have to just walk up and request to be seated. But, we dine early, and I was able to make reservations for 5:30 for up to four days in advance by going to the reservations podium on the Lido deck and asking.

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'm looking forwards to our first HAL cruise next year.

Thanks for your review! We love the Maasdam. We took 3 long cruises with her this past year. We just disembarked from the Westerdam today from another fine cruise. Our friends probably think we are nuts.:) We simply love a cruise. I'll be posting my own review when I get to it, but thank you for yours!

I'm looking forward to reading your review of the Maasdam since we will be cruising on her next year. I'm eagerly waiting for the dates/itinerary I want to open up so I can book it.

Saturday, March 14 (Cont.)

After relaxing for a while in the afternoon, we donned formal gear and, just after 4, we went to the Ocean Bar for happy hour. It was busy, but not frantic, so we stayed and enjoyed drinks before dinner. Dinner was the Captain’s Gala Night.

Here is the MDR menu:

Starters * Soups * Salads

- Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail – American cocktail sauce

- Duck Pate Brioche – lingongberry marmalade, Waldorf salad

- Steamed Black Mussels – white wine, garlic, tomato, parsley, heavy cream, garlic toast

- Caribbean Fish Chowder – roasted red bell pepper, cream, potato, celery, diced pumpkin

- French Vegetable Pot “Petite Marmite” – beef consomme, diced vegetables, fines herbes

- French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

- Chilled Cranberry Soup – sweetened yogurt, mint

- Orange and Radicchio Salad – frisee, mixed greens, olives, feta, red onion

- Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

- Baked Ricotta Stuffed Shells – garlic-basil-tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses

- Sesame Steak Salad – romaine, soy-glazed oyster mushrooms

- Broiled Lobster Tail – garlic butter, scalloped potatoes, baby carrots, grilled asparagus

- Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

- Filet of Beef Wellington – duck liver-mushroom duxelles, beef tenderloin, puff pasty, Madeira sauce, duchess potatoes, asparagus, sugar snap peas

- Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

- Rack of Lamb with Tomato Couscous and Garlic Pearls – roasted red bell pepper, sautéed artichoke

- Mascarpone Stuffed Quail – creamy polenta, pancetta, pearl onions

- Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa pilaf, herb-roasted vegetables, jus

- Vegetable Pot Pie – mixed vegetables, cheese sauce, flaky pastry crust

I had the shrimp cocktail and the lobster tail. DW had the Petite Marmite soup and the Beef Wellington.

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Chocolate Souffle – Warm dark chocolate sauce

- Balsamic Strawberries – White chocolate mousse

- Coconut Panna Cotta – Toasted coconut

- Black Forest Cake no sugar added – Chocolate cake, kirschwasser-flavored cream, Bing cherries, chocolate shavings

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Coffee Ice Cream

- Strawberry Sorbet

- Peach Frozen Yogurt

- No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No Sugar Added Neapolitan Ice Cream

- Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae – Mint chocolate chip ice cream, whipped cream, toasted almonds

Available Daily

- Crème Brulee – Creamy, dreamy Grand Marnier-scented custard with a sheer layer of crisply caramelized sugar

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Cherry Crisp – Freshout of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

- Sliced Fruit Plate – An assorted selection of fresh fruit

- Cheese Plate – Stilton, Old Amsterdam, Brie, Edam

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso - $1.25

- Cappuccino - $1.75

- Extra shot - $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Hazel Eyes – Frangelico, Bailey’s and Kahlua, $5.95

We both had the chocolate soufflé, and it was as excellent as always. I took a photo: thumb attached/link at: http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/Chocolate%20souffle_zps4hpokcnf.jpg

(Ruth – open this one).

More later,

Dave

1057264884_Chocolatesouffle.jpg.2cc83529226706d74f8b75f38a2e6d70.jpg

When you get home, Google Diptic, which is a program for making a photo collage (CC counts a collage as one photo). I'm now using an iPad to do reviews, but Diptic also has a program for a laptop (although it may require Windows 8???). On my iPad, I also try to remember to resize photos and reduce the dpi before uploading to Photobucket, which makes things go faster.

On another note, did they scan your cabin key card at muster or did they call out everyone's name? For the Internet, did you get a set price for the cruise or the traditional X number of minutes for a certain price?

Thanks for the tips on the photos.

For boat drill, they did the "yell room numbers and people respond" method; no key cards scanned. For the internet, it is the same old X number of minutes for a price, although there was no $3.95 activation fee. The connections and set up look like the Harris ones we saw last summer on Amsterdam. I see that there are both the new Harris repeaters as well as the old cones in the overheads.

Dave

Sunday, March 14, at sea

Another day at sea en route to St. Thomas. We are looking forward to a relaxing day. Here are links to today’s On Location photos:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/15Mar15%20Program%201_zps7xellz4z.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/15Mar15%20Program%202_zpscb30wdk4.jpg

More later,

Dave

Thanks for the tips on the photos.

For boat drill, they did the "yell room numbers and people respond" method; no key cards scanned. For the internet, it is the same old X number of minutes for a price, although there was no $3.95 activation fee. The connections and set up look like the Harris ones we saw last summer on Amsterdam. I see that there are both the new Harris repeaters as well as the old cones in the overheads.

Dave

In Nov. we did a cruise on the Zuiderdam and they scanned our cabin cards at the muster drill - much better system! Faster and less hassle (and noise).

Sunday, March 14 (Cont.)

There have been many activities today … but we didn’t do many of them. At 10 this morning, there was a seminar in the Explorers Lounge about Acupuncture for Arthritis. Since I complain of arthritis pain now and then, we discussed whether I should go. I explained that if I got acupuncture, I would very quickly stop complaining about the arthritis – “Ya know, I’m fine. Really. You can quit jabbing those needles in me now.”

Instead, we just lounged until lunch. We weren’t famished after breakfast, so we just got a small plate each of cheese, crackers, fruit, olives, etc. and took them to the Crows Nest, where we enjoyed a light lunch with a glass of wine (each ;-) ).

Afterwards, we put on swim suits and went to the aft of deck 6, one deck below the Seaview pool, and lay in the sun for about 30 minutes to try to get some color in our winter skin before we go snorkeling and burn later in the cruise. There is a small, secluded sun deck aft on deck 6 of the S class ships (except Veendam I think), that is rarely crowded.

Now, we are relaxing in our room, or sitting on the balcony to watch the birds fishing or spotting the occasional flying fish. It is a beautiful day at sea.

Attached are thumbs and links to a few photos from around the ship, and a link to the front page of the Explorer booklet.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Maasdam_Explorers_Lounge_sign.JPG

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Maasdam_glass_art.JPG

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Maasdam_statue.JPG

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/Maasdam_March_2015_Explorer_cover.JPG

More later,

Dave

840483963_MaasdamExplorersLoungesign.jpg.dd00e2069c0105c13b3e8f28d8e3a260.jpg

739460054_Maasdamglassart.jpg.0edc655bc583669e9945c2e25478f9b4.jpg

217750792_Maasdamstatue.jpg.fdae252dd47a40cca6fd9c534ae4c7c4.jpg

Edited by RetiredMustang

Thx for the update. I get acupuncture at home once a month and it sure makes my knees at lot less stiff. I'm not sure if it does much for the pain or not. Maybe if I stopped I'd find out it does. Way cheaper at home than on a ship.

Thank you for the "live from" and the photos of the daily programs! I can see myself doing this itinerary after retirement, so I appreciate the chance to dream about it in more detail ;-)

Sue/WDW1972

11/27/15 Oosterdam

1/15/16 DCL Dream

Sunday, March 14 (Cont.)

We did not do much for the rest of the day, except hit the Ocean Bar for happy hour before enjoying dinner.

Here is the MDR menu:

Starters * Soups * Salads

- Fruit Ceviche – papaya, pineapple, mango, lime-mint dressing

- Seared Ahi Tuna Carpaccio – jicama chips, papaya-ginger relish

- Caribbean Island Fritters – chili pepper corn dip, fried plantain

- Bacon Cheddar Cheese Soup – Dijon mustard, Tabasco

- Pepper Pot Soup – root vegetables, dumplings, chunks of beef, ginger, garlic

- French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

- Chilled Blueberry Soup – Crème de Cassis, Champagne

- Great Sound Salad – Bibb lettuce, avocado, tomato, red beans, French green beans, garbanzo beans

- Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

- Spaghetti with Meatballs – marinara sauce

- Avocado Citrus Salad – avocado, Meyer lemon slices, mixed lettuces, citrus zest, sherry vinaigrette

- Seared Fluke with Lemon-Parsley Vinaigrette – collard greens, saffron-jasmine rice

- Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic cherry tomatoes

- Flank Steaks with Roasted Shallot Vinaigrette – cheesy polenta cake, sautéed green beans, roasted shallots, balsamic vinegar glaze

- Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

- Island Spiced Rack of Pork – mashed Boniato white sweet potato, Island coleslaw

- Caribbean ‘Jerk’ Chicken Breast – Jamaican peas and rice, grilled pineapple spears

- Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa pilaf, herb-roasted vegetables, jus

- Curried Vegetable Cutlet – Indian spices, garbanzo beans, tomato sauce, baby bok choy

Both of us had the Great Sound Salad. For main dish, we went beef - DW had the Flank Steak for main dish, while I went with the New York Strip Loin (hold the gravy).

We both enjoyed the meal, and decided to pass on dessert. But, here is the dessert menu, anyway:

Desserts

- Frozen Watermelon Pie – Raspberry sherbet studded with “seeds” of chocolate, lemon-lime sherbet on a cookie crust

- Berry Snow Cap – Berry compote, sweet biscuit, meringue

- Rum Cake – Vanilla sauce

- Apple Tower no sugar added – White sponge cake, cinnamon apples, whipped cream

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Butter Pecan Ice Cream

- Orange Sorbet

- Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

- No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No Sugar Added Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

- Mango Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, diced mango, mango sauce, whipped cream

Available Daily

- Crème Brulee – Creamy, dreamy Grand Marnier-scented custard with a sheer layer of crisply caramelized sugar

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Mango Blueberry Crisp – Freshout of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

- Sliced Fruit Plate – An assorted selection of fresh fruit

- Cheese Plate - Gorgonzola, Edam, Cheddar, Brie

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso - $1.25

- Cappuccino - $1.75

- Extra shot - $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: After Eight – Kahlua, Crème de Menthe Green & Bailey’s Irish Cream $5.95

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

I don't blame you for passing on the dessert. The choices there suck. That said, usually the fruit crisp is good as long as they don't put rhubarb in it.

I had the rum cake a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. Of course, it could be the rum talking.:)

I had the rum cake a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. Of course, it could be the rum talking.:)

Good to know. I may try it if I have too;). I have a really easy and good rum cake recipe and I find every one I taste is never as good.

Last Sept, DH tried the ship's acupuncture as he was miserable and needing relief. It helped him. Yes, more expensive than at home but he wasn't home. He was willing to try it to salvage his vacation.

Yes, of course in a case like that you would. In my mind if you are not in severe pain, it might be better to wait until your home unless money is no object.

Agree. He put it off because of the expense and, of course, unsure of the outcome. Then he was upset that he hadn't tried it sooner. You just never know. :-)

You never know. I just love trying alternatives to drugs. Glad it worked out for him.

Last Sept, DH tried the ship's acupuncture as he was miserable and needing relief. It helped him. Yes, more expensive than at home but he wasn't home. He was willing to try it to salvage his vacation.

My sister tried the acupuncture on the Veendam for a severe migraine headache that medication wouldn't touch. It worked very well for her and it was worth every penny to see her walk out of the spa area positively glowing.

Monday, March 16, St. Thomas

Good morning everyone. As I write, we are turning the corner into Charlotte Amalie harbor, apparently making for Crown Bay. Two ships were ahead of us, and we can see one at Havensight already. We know Carnival Corp. has the contract with Crown Bay, but we went into Havensight two years ago on Noordam, and were hoping to do so again.

Oh well, we don’t have any firm plans, and a cab will easily take us downtown. We have been here many times, and did not sign up for a shore excursion but thought we would just wander. I’ll report what we did after we get back.

In the meantime, here are the links to today's On Location, and to the Explorer pages about St. Thomas:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/16Mar15_Program_1.JPG

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/16Mar15_Program_2.JPG

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/St_Thomas_1.JPG

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/520/St_Thomas_2.JPG

More later,

Dave