Hiking While in Port?

Hydro ergo

Hello All!

My husband and I will be sailing to Alaska on Princess this July!!! This will be our first Alaska cruise and we are really looking forward to it. Anyway, we love to hike and were wondering if there are any hiking opportunities while in port? We are very lucky and have three long port days (times adjusted for actual shore time)...Juneau for 8.5 hrs, Skagway for 12 hrs, and Ketchikan for 9 hrs. We are both in our 30s and hike a lot, so we are comfortable in different scenarios (wildlife, terrain, weather, etc). We don't need anything too challenging, but would really love something exceptionally scenic (which I guess is most of Alaska!) Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much! :)

There are hiking opportunities at every port you mentioned. I've only been to Alaska one time, in 2012, so I haven't done many of these. This year when we return I hope to do more.:)

Skagway: Yakutania Point and Smugglers Cove is an easy one. There are also trails along the drive to Emerald Lake if you rent a car.

Juneau: There are trails at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center. And there is a trail to the top of Mt. Roberts where the tram goes.

Ketchikan: Deer Mountain Trail and Rainbird Trail. Google: USDA Ketchikan Trails for lots of info.

Happy Trails to You!:D

Edited by portiemom
spelling

There are some guidebooks for inside passage hiking. But I would think, you may be interested in checking out Above and Beyond, out of Juneau and their guided glacier trekking. Out of Skagway, Lower Dewey Lake is very popular, but you may also want to look at the Chilkoot trail, with maybe a bike ride out to the trailhead, or a rental car.

Ketchikan, I've hiked the scenic Perseverance Trail, Ward Lake, nearby has a loop lake walk, car rental needed. From downtown, Deer Mountain trail is easy to get to. It is uphill, I've only done partial.

The hiking on Alaska is extraordinary. Google each port name with hiking, and you will find tons of information. If you will be in Seward, there is a wonderful trail at Exit Glacier that goes up to the icefield. Juneau had an incredible number of trails from easy strolls to rugged hikes. I generally hike in the ports. It's always more comfortable with hiking boots, but because of weight, I sometimes hike with just sneakers.

You would enjoy the West Glacier Trail in Juneau. You’ll need transportation to get to the west side of the glacier. The goal is being able to look down at the tour helicopters landing on the glacier.

If you are arriving/departing Whittier and have time, there is a short hike with some elevation gain called the Portage Pass Trail. At the top you overlook Portage Glacier on one side and Whittier on the other.