Veendam, the little engine that could.

mikishel

Looking forward to 35 days of Voyage of the Vikings in July on her. I doubt that Mario, Chris, and the Captain will be the same then…too bad.

It was announced that after a year on the Veendam Mario was being transferred to the Nieuw Amsterdam. I was amazed that he had only been a CD for only one year.

Edited by mikishel

Man, I missed out on that one [emoji19]. I looked on the website and saw a two-page vegetarian menu. It would be hard to try to guess what I would be the mood for a day ahead of time though.

It should be noted that we had Anytime dining, and both days we went right in and got a table to two. We did arrive early, around 5:30.

I agree, the only problem with the Vegetarian Menu is having to choose the night before.

We mix and match from the MDR menu and it works well.

Usually the Assistant DRM in your area will take the order. Not sure how this works with Open seating if you don't have the same area every night.

Hope you will be back on HAL again!

Your cabin was inside on the lower promenade deck. Is there a reason for the inside vs an ocean view on that deck? I've been wondering about having an ov on the lower promenade deck. Had you heard comments about those cabins being noisy? Should I also say nosy by peaking in windows?

Loved all your details. Thanks for the review.

Grannycb, I have not sailed on Veendam but have been in Lower Prom cabins on Statendam and Maasdam. When choosing an OV cabin on LP deck be sure to look at the corresponding deck plan above. Avoid any cabins that are below the blank spaces, as these are all kitchen areas and noisy most times of the day. The cabins just forward of the aft stairway on the port side of the ship are very noisy in the early morning hours. The obstructed view cabins below the dining room should be quiet as would be the cabins under the movie theater or under the Pinnacle Grill. Also on that deck, avoid the far forward cabins because there will be noise from the Show Lounge in the evenings and occasionally very late night rehearsals.

Should I also say nosy by peaking in windows?

The windows are "one-way" windows. During the day, it's hard to see into them. At night, however, be sure to close your blinds. When you turn on the lights, you are on display.

Your cabin was inside on the lower promenade deck. Is there a reason for the inside vs an ocean view on that deck? I've been wondering about having an ov on the lower promenade deck. Had you heard comments about those cabins being noisy? Should I also say nosy by peaking in windows?

Loved all your details. Thanks for the review.

We love Lower Prom ocean view rooms, especially those close to a door leading to the deck. It's so nice to slip out for a walk on your "extra big verandah."

Your cabin was inside on the lower promenade deck. Is there a reason for the inside vs an ocean view on that deck? I've been wondering about having an ov on the lower promenade deck. Had you heard comments about those cabins being noisy? Should I also say nosy by peaking in windows?.

I wanted complete darkness to sleep in. There are lights on those outside decks. That would bother me. I know there are curtains. I'm super sensitive to light. I can't stand it when I'm in a verandah cabin and neighboring cabins have their lights on all night. :(

We were in an aft cabin port #400. No noise from above, but we were right next to a crew area and only heard noise once briefly. There were creaking sounds from the movement of the ship that bothered me at night. A strange rolling sound, like there was a loose bowling ball somewhere. :confused: I always bring ear plugs because I'm also sensitive to sound. Didn't bother me every night and didn't bother DH at all.