Coastal California/Panama Canal

Ok, I need suggestions. Having only done Caribbean cruises during the summer months I know what type of clothing to take. This year we are doing a b2b in early October. First a 7 day Coastal California from LA to SF followed by a 15 day full passage Panama Canal, from LA to San Juan. Since we will be flying, I have to watch the weight, which will prove to be a struggle I'm sure since I'm an overpacker! This time I'm not sure what types of clothing to take. Do I take summer or fall, long or short, light weight or heavier? HELP:eek:

I'm not familiar with the weather along the CA coast (but I think it's cooler than normal Atlantic temps!)...but the Panama canal is HOT, HOT, HOT, all year round....pack for summer! San Juan is hot all the time, too.

So..take shorts and stuff...bring a pair of long pants and 1 sweater...lightweight....that should do ya! That shouldn't put you over the airlines limits! I'm an overpacked, too...and I'm proud of it!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Since 15 days will be warm to hot (plus humid:p) and only a few days (the northern CA) might be cooler, I would recommend weighting (no pun intended) the warmer weather wear higher in your luggage, but making sure you have a sweater, light jacket, at least 1 pr of pants - so you can layer if/when it's cold.

I am an integrated packer in that I would not pack 2 completely different sets of clothing for a trip like this. I would just pack layers that can go together and come apart to fit the specifics of the climate no matter where I am.

Have fun!! (we did LA-FLL in 2008 on HAL and had a blast!!)

Thank you for all the tips. I'm going to try collecting pieces that will be interchangeable and work well with layering AND be easy to wash, so I shouldn't have to send many pieces out for the laundry. In theory this should cut way down on the number of pieces I will take... just hope I'll be able to pull it off :rolleyes: At least this gives me a reason to shop!

October weather in northern CA is some of the best weather we get, but mornings start out cool, very cool, especially in the city (SF). Your rain jacket is a good idea as coastal fog from the marine layer can take the whole morning to burn off, but once the sun makes it thru it is lovely.

The Pacific coastal part of the cruise can be cool as well. We went in December and got some fairly rough seas with lots of wind. Once we were a good distance past Acapulco, in the Huatulco area, it warmed up and was beachy nice. Costa Rica was like Caribbean weather, warm and humid. Hope you have a great cruise! [emoji4]

And of course remember to wear your heavier items and as many layers on the plane as possible/comfortable, which will help with the weight limits. My Cali coastal was in March and I was glad to have sweaters/layers. I haven't tried them, but I have heard from a lot of people that silk underwear is a great layer for cooler weather when traveling and is very lightweight. And it sounds like you might already be thinking of this, but yes, make sure to bring something to wash items in your stateroom. I'd only send out things like jeans, PJs, socks, etc. Basically only items you'd be okay with washing and drying on HOT settings.

The best advice (imo) for packing lighter, no matter what the climate, is to pick a color scheme and stick to that. A few neutrals and maybe one bright accent color. Or even all neutrals and then accent with your accessories. My recent Med cruise was black/white/grey (and denim for bottoms), and all the color came from scarves/jewelry. Everything went together and I definitely could have even done a carry on only if I'd wanted to. I plan to for my next one.

I loved my California Coastal and am hoping to do the Canal at some point, so I am very jealous of your trip. Have a fantastic time!

It will be cool in San Francisco, but not so much that you'll need long underwear.

Slacks and a sweater, maybe with a pashmina (which will double as an evening wrap the entire cruise) is all you'll need. Most of the California coast except in the Bay area is fairly warm to hot.

I'd pack for warm to hot weather. The slacks you'll probably want for San Francisco can be your casual evening dinner slacks on the cruise.

Double duty is the most important packing term. If an item can't do double duty, leave it home.

Also coordinate color themes so everything matches. Choose one or two neutrals and add some color splashes in the same family. All tops need to match all bottoms.

Edited by ducklite

There is a lot of good advice here, and being born and raised in Cali (Northern and Southern), before I moved to the PNW, I find that it really depends on where you are from. San Francisco can get downright cold if there is a wind and the temps aren't very high to begin with. I go to San Diego now, and at 60 degrees, I am in short sleeves and everyone else is in jackets.

There may be days that So.Cal can be chilly. The best thing to do is start checking the weather forecast before you leave, and you can pack or unpack accordingly. If you tend to be on the warm side, then you probably won't need anything to heavy to wear on the coastal, but if you tend to always be cold, you might need a few more layers.

Everyone has so many good suggestions, that's why I like reading these boards. I tend to wear a lot from the blue, brown and orange families, so I'm leaning toward using a taupe, black and white palette with coral and teal blue or turquoise for color.

Check the weather a few days before you sail. We just got off a California Coastal.

They were predicting rain in San Fransisco and coolish weather in the other ports.

We got mid70s in San Francisco, high 70s in Santa Barbara, mid 80s in San Diego and Ensenada.