Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

all the servers rotate on the dining rooms so each of them get their tips on the dsc!!!
On our recent Spirit cruise, we had the UDP so we were in specialty restaurant every night. We saw the same servers in each specialty restaurants every time we went there. We were the ones who were rotating, not them :D I asked the question explicitly one night in Le Bistro, and the servers confirmed that they worked there every night. At breakfast and lunchtime they are assigned to other stations.

I don't know if it works exactly the same way on every ship. But it doesn't matter, because this is a completely separate issue. Do you believe that the servers in the specialty restaurants (whether they are always the same, or whether they rotate) deserve higher tips for the nights they work in the specialty restaurants? If so (and I believe they do), then it makes sense that these extra tips should come from the people who actually use the specialty restaurants, and not from the general DSC that everyone pays (or is supposed to pay). And if specialty diners are not tipping extra of their own accord, then I am in favor of an auto-tip (although I believe it should be discretionary, like the DSC). But as I said above, 18% of the cover charge doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Just wait for all those that adjust their DSC. Now they can adjust it down 18% for each of the specialty restaurants they go to. Just gives them more ammunition to adjust down.

Please don't flame me, I'm just pointing out what I see coming.

I don't have a problem with auto gratuities in general, but I feel like NCL is doing this so that NCL gets more money, because if a cruise passenger directly tips the waiter in cash, NCL doesn't see that money. That makes me sad because of how hard they all work.

I do, however, see the point that it is NCL double dipping by squeezing more money out of passengers, if those same waiters rotate and work in other venues...not just for dinner but also the rest of the day since specialty restaurants are only open for dinner.

I followed your link and couldn't find that anywhere. It does say that dining cover charges are subject to change.

http://www.ncl.co.uk/already-booked/gifts-and-more/#ultimate-dining

Under Ultimate Dining Package there's a little link that says, "read more". Click that link

UDP12 12 night cruises $194.00

UDP13 13 night cruises $204.00

UDP14 14 night cruises $229.00

Read more

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I have not read through all of the posts yet here, just going down the line, so not sure if it has dawned on anyone, but I don't think that extra 18% is going to the waitstaff in the specialties! Think it is either going to NCL or perhaps into the entire pool which would mean that the increase in our DSC and this should give them a significant increase in salary. Again, I'm skeptical if they will ever see a dime of it. Haven't chatted with anyone about this on board yet, it was like 2AM when the guy told me about his being charged it, but I'm sure as the week goes by I will talk with some servers, and/of officers, to determine really who is getting in.

Thank you. I trust you to find out what you can and report back either when you can or when you return. However, do enjoy your cruise!

Harriet

I don't have a problem with auto gratuities in general, but I feel like NCL is doing this so that NCL gets more money, because if a cruise passenger directly tips the waiter in cash, NCL doesn't see that money. That makes me sad because of how hard they all work.

I do, however, see the point that it is NCL double dipping by squeezing more money out of passengers, if those same waiters rotate and work in other venues...not just for dinner but also the rest of the day since specialty restaurants are only open for dinner.

All waitstaff work approx 10 hours per day and are assigned to various venues for breakfast and/or lunch and dinner. they may be in the same places every day, but they do more than just one dining room for one meal.

The waitstaff and room stewards are included in the DSC pool regardless of where they are assigned to work..

Edited by swedish weave

Just wait for all those that adjust their DSC. Now they can adjust it down 18% for each of the specialty restaurants they go to. Just gives them more ammunition to adjust down.

Please don't flame me, I'm just pointing out what I see coming.

This reminds me of my uncle. He was a dentist. He always liked to take us to dinner but refused to leave a tip. My Mom would put a nice tip on the table after he left the table. Now, when my uncle offers to pick up the tab I say yes and I'll take care of the tip for you.

On our recent Spirit cruise, we had the UDP so we were in specialty restaurant every night. We saw the same servers in each specialty restaurants every time we went there. We were the ones who were rotating, not them :D I asked the question explicitly one night in Le Bistro, and the servers confirmed that they worked there every night. At breakfast and lunchtime they are assigned to other stations.

Same with me. The waiters for Cagney's were there every evening I was there and were also in Moderno for breakfast and lunch. They knew your name and what you liked to drink, etc. At the Teppanyaki restaurant, we asked the server if they were always there and he said they were rotated, but always in the same restaurant for the entire cruise.

If the auto tipping is correct, it was probably instituted because few left tips. I've got no issues with the auto tipping, it is either very close or a little more than what I tip (depending on which restaurant).

All waitstaff work approx 10 hours per day and are assigned to various venues for breakfast and/or lunch and dinner. they may be in the same places every day, but they do more than just one dining room for one meal.

The waitstaff and room stewards are included in the DSC pool regardless of where they are assigned to work..

I knew it was done this way...I remember speaking to waitstaff on cruises many years ago about the hours they work. Specialty restaurants are open for dinner, so it makes sense for servers to be working in other dining venues in the morning and afternoon.

My assumption when I first experienced an auto DSC years ago was that back when dining was a set time and waiter (and on other cruise lines where that is still an option), there were still many people that would eat at the buffet for every meal, and wouldn't tip their assigned waiter and assistant waiter. Those crew members rely heavily on their tips, hence the addition of the DSC on other cruise lines where you have the same waiter every night, as well as the obvious addition of it on NCL which has only freestyle dining.

I do think NCL is doing this for their own bottom line. Like I had said above, now people are much less inclined to leave their waiter a cash tip in a specialty restaurant since the tip is taken care of right on their bill.

I think the problem with the auto tipping is that what if you don't like the service that you get, do you have the option to change your tip like you do the DSC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I see your point and why it may worry you, but I'm not worried about this because I've ways received impeccable service at specialty restaurants and in the past, we have tipped more than what they're going to be automatically adding on now. I certainly hope the high level of service doesn't change just because the waiter knows they're receiving an automatic gratuity, but I still think this is in place to help NCL's bottom line.

I personally called NCL to shed some light on this, I spoke with a rep who put me on hold to speak with his superiors and said there isn't a 18 percent service charge. he said the only recent changes were in the bar menu and the daily service charge. he also said the specialty waiters are included in the daily service charge, so this would be double dipping. hope this helps.

I personally called NCL to shed some light on this, I spoke with a rep who put me on hold to speak with his superiors and said there isn't a 18 percent service charge. he said the only recent changes were in the bar menu and the daily service charge. he also said the specialty waiters are included in the daily service charge, so this would be double dipping. hope this helps.

I hope you're right but from my experience every time one calls NCL and asks the same question they get a different answer.

And....it does not explain that the OP read it with her own eyes on the Freestyle Daily.

Harriet

I am sufficiently convinced that it is happening right now on the Breakaway. Maybe it's "just a test", but what would have to happen for the test to fail and for this not to become a new fleetwide policy in the very near future?

if it is happening, I hope people are complaining, however I don't see that happening since it appears that a lot of people on these message boards brag about how much they tip, and the 18 percent isn't enough, while I agree they are hard workers, and I don't mind tipping extra at my own terms...... but since the time I booked my trip 2 months ago, I now will incur a higher daily service charge, higher bar prices and now an additional 18 percent, where does it stop??

Starting to see more and more of this mucking about with gratuities on NCL, aren't we?

First the DSC increase, then (at the same time) the inexplicable (dare I say inexcusable) higher DSC for suite guests, and now this.

The "DSC Adjuster's" campaign is starting to carry a tad more validity...

I have to agree with you on this.

if it is happening, I hope people are complaining, however I don't see that happening since it appears that a lot of people on these message boards brag about how much they tip, and the 18 percent isn't enough, while I agree they are hard workers, and I don't mind tipping extra at my own terms...... but since the time I booked my trip 2 months ago, I now will incur a higher daily service charge, higher bar prices and now an additional 18 percent, where does it stop??

Oh, I am sure people will complain. I'm not sure why you think people are bragging. It's a fact - we tip WAY more than the DSC and this 18% auto tip. We won't be in the future though. I cannot stand when a company or restaurant determines my gratuity for me. I didn't mind the DSC because it just made it easier ... but I am annoyed with this "new" charge now, and, do not for one second believe this is going to the staff.

More confusion from NCL:confused:! Are they going to redefine who and what the DSC covers? I had no problem with the recent increase in DSC as we all know how hard the employees work. However this does sound like an enforced double-tipping situation that may or may not be specifically for that particular waiter. If I choose to tip extra, I want it to go to the employee that gave the exceptional service. :mad:

Oh, I am sure people will complain. I'm not sure why you think people are bragging. It's a fact - we tip WAY more than the DSC and this 18% auto tip. We won't be in the future though. I cannot stand when a company or restaurant determines my gratuity for me. I didn't mind the DSC because it just made it easier ... but I am annoyed with this "new" charge now, and, do not for one second believe this is going to the staff.

Have to agree. I'm feeling the same way. We always left a generous tip in the restaurants too but we may have to rethink that. If this is part of the plan to get an extra $50 per passenger it wasn't well thought out. It would have been better to increase fares to generate more revenue. All this is doing is making people angry and giving credibility to those that talk of "nickel and diming". In the long run, it may hurt the staff if cash tips decrease and that will lead to other problems.

I'm fine with an auto tip but this is double dipping. If they are included in the DSC then a tip should not be added.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

It might not be double dipping if the gratuity is simply added to the pool with all the DSC and then divided among everyone in the pool.

We don't know how NCL actually doles out the tips.

It might not be double dipping if the gratuity is simply added to the pool with all the DSC and then divided among everyone in the pool.

We don't know how NCL actually doles out the tips.

No, it's pretty much double-dipping.

Basically they are collecting a gratuity on top of one which was already collected...unless NCL really are seeing a significant number of pax adjust the DSC.

Personally, I've never been a proponent of adjusting the DSC, but I'm starting to reconsider my position, particularly if I dine in a speciality.