Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

If this new charge works out, the Shore Excursions will be next, think it will also be 18%????

Yeah, I have more cruises booked, but maybe time to move on from NCL.

Agreed. I do not foresee us purchasing FCC on our upcoming trips, and that is a shame. I do not like sneaky, underhanded behavior ... and this takes the cake.

I can't believe what a bad taste this is leaving in my mouth. As others have said, it is not a matter of not being able to afford the increases, but, my goodness, they just keep coming and coming and coming.

This one is especially distasteful because it seems to so obviously be double-dipping. If bartenders are not part of the DSC, then it's perfectly justifiable that a tip be automatically added to their slip. However, if the specialty restaurant servers are collecting both, it's very confusing.

Once again, I find myself wishing that NCL would embrace transparency and clear up the confusion.

The only explanation that I can remotely fathom is in this section on the FAQ page:

Are they, maybe in a roundabout way although not spelled out as such, saying that since specialty dining is not provided to all guests that those servers are compensated separately from the DSC??

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, Pride of America has a service charge of 18% for all spa and salon services, and all other ships have an automatic gratuity of 18% for all spa and salon services and 18% for beverage service.

But here they don't break out specialty wait staff

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

As a self proclaimed NCL cheerleader with 3 cruises booked and 2 more FCR bought last month, without some reasonable explanation, I may be looking to sell all of my FCR :(:mad::(:mad:

Edited by russianmom

Wow...we really are beginning to see major changes

CAS--never paid for extras in the restaurants -when comped inside, window, or balcony. Looks like that may of changed.

18%-- double dipping, and probably not going to staff.

Also one waiter that we know told us that ALL tips need to be put into a general pool, and if caught pocketing the tip...and not putting it into the pool, you will be in trouble.

We don't mind tipping,but dislike NCL sneaking this in, and double dipping.

If you ever take the behind the scenes tour---you can't believe some of the jobs those workers do....There is even a person who picks thru the garbage--EVERY PIECE!!!

The staff on these ships deserve EVERY penny they get plus more.

Even more troubling to me, and I brought this up yesterday but it seems maybe to have been glossed over, is this in the Guest Ticket Contract

"The charge , which is automatically

added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance."

How much goes to the employee? What are the metrics NCL judges by? In reality it seems the DSC is just one big pool and NCL doles it out how it sees fit but isn't the one receiving services, the guest is. What happens to money NCL doesn't deem fit to dole out?

I've booked two NCL cruises and am dragging a bunch of family to book also; we are all new to NCL. Getting tired of Royal Caribbean pricing games and benefit reductions, thought NCL would be a breath of fresh air. Same old pricing games as Royal. I really don't want to end up being the bad guy to a group of people if NCL misses the mark. All these new charges and unexplained charges give me pause for concern.

We don't know exactly what happens to the DSC, and that is fine with me. I have no reason to believe that NCL simply pockets it and that the crew just lets this happen, so I am happy to continue paying it and leave the details to NCL and its employees.

However, back when we had the envelopes for tipping (and for the cruise lines that still have this), roughly half to two-thirds of the suggested tips per day went to the dining staff. So let's say 2/3 of your $13 DSC goes to dining staff, and round it up to $9 per day. We have about 6 meals a day while cruising, but let's round it down to 2. This gives an outside estimate of $5 tip per person per meal. Which corresponds to a basic tip for a $25-$30 meal on land. Fair enough?

So when you go to a specialty restaurant, you are already giving the staff $5. Personally I think the service in the specialty restaurants is worth more than the service in the MDR or buffet, and an extra $5 per person doubles the tip (again, conservative estimate) and that seems OK to me. I have trouble getting worked up about whether it's my own idea or if they add the extra tip automatically. If it is double dipping, well, I think the servers in the specialty restaurants deserve to double dip.

I do think the additional tip should be discretionary, like the DSC, but I feel confident that if you do have a service problem, the front desk will refund the 18% and a part of your DSC corresponding to that meal.

Well, we will be doing one of two things. Either we will not dine in any specialties, or, for the first time in my life, the auto gratuity will be removed.

I see a lot of people no longer prepaying their DSC. And those that feel strongly againtst the auto tip in specialty restaurants, will then subtract said amount from the DSC. Unless you are truly allowed to adjust the 18%.

Now I think in the past, if you happen to pre purchase the Soda package, you were not charged the auto gratuity. I havent done this in years, so not sure if it is still the case. So maybe they we ould do the same thing for specialty restaurants. No additional auto gratuity if pre purchased. I have no idea if this is even a case, just wondering.

As I said in a previous post......could the NCL person who monitors this board PLEASE post and clarify the policy in detail.

That would be great, however, where are they? I also asked this on the Norwegian Cruise Line FB page, and they haven't replied there either. This, of course, makes me believe it even more. Otherwise, wouldn't they have said it's all some type of mistake?

Harriet

Just returned from the Epic. Had the UDP. Was not charged for specialty dining tips. Ate at specialty dining every night. Did leave a cash tip each night (in addition to the prepaid gratuities).

The person who reported this I believe said it started on the Breakaway March 15th.

Harriet

The DSc is supposed to cover waitstaff. So, if you eat at all speciality restaurants leaving the forced 18%, the DSC now seems unfair. I'd rather tip my room steward handsomely since 18% would already be going to the bar staff and waitstaff at the specialities.

While not announcing the gratuity may,indeed, be underhanded or less than transparent, this charge bothers me not at all. I also do not understand how lowering your DSC is an answer to your outrage. The majority of us claim to and probably do give a tip more than the 18 percent. How does lowering the DSC have ANYTHING to do with this auto grat? Yes, yes, we dont want to be forced to tip. I get it. But the level of anger on this thread is amazing!!!

All is well and good when we are able to afford a suite because we get kids sail free, UBC, UDP and DSC paid for....but start another auto grat and BAM!

Maybe there is a choice to be made by NCL- get rid of giant promos and delete the mandatory auto grat.

Or maybe this was just a Spring Break auto gratuity.

While it will not affect me at all as our next cruises are all booked under the promo, It would not be enough for me .

HOWEVER- If I was in a specialty rest and the service stunk or was lacking, I would speak to the appropriate person and have the 18% removed.

We read here about people wanting to know how many family memebers they can stuff in to a cabin for the KSF promo, yet get apoplectic about a service charge in a restaurant.

Perhaps we are seeing a class system- if you can afford the specialties, you should pay more? Much like the much-maligned increase in DSC for suites...is this an example of those with more pay more?( and , yes, not all suite dwellers are Thurston and Lovey Howell.

Far too often we see comments like "if you can afford a suite, why are you carpiong on about the cost of X, Y or Z". Darest we apply the same here? I personally dont buy in to this notion, but maybe that is some of the thinking behind this.

But , since none of us knows yet, why get upset? Is this a test, a temporary measure , an effort to help the waitstaff because the UDP folks don't tip? As for my family, we cruise different lines. But an extra $100 dollars for the WEEK that it would cost my family of 5 and we bought the UDP is NOT going to make me not go on a cruise that I know I am going to enjoy.

And, if this really is going to be the norm..dont ya'll think that other lines will take heed?

Too soon to get the knickers in a twist!

We don't know exactly what happens to the DSC, and that is fine with me. I have no reason to believe that NCL simply pockets it and that the crew just lets this happen, so I am happy to continue paying it and leave the details to NCL and its employees.

However, back when we had the envelopes for tipping (and for the cruise lines that still have this), roughly half to two-thirds of the suggested tips per day went to the dining staff. So let's say 2/3 of your $13 DSC goes to dining staff, and round it up to $9 per day. We have about 6 meals a day while cruising, but let's round it down to 2. This gives an outside estimate of $5 tip per person per meal. Which corresponds to a basic tip for a $25-$30 meal on land. Fair enough?

So when you go to a specialty restaurant, you are already giving the staff $5. Personally I think the service in the specialty restaurants is worth more than the service in the MDR or buffet, and an extra $5 per person doubles the tip (again, conservative estimate) and that seems OK to me. I have trouble getting worked up about whether it's my own idea or if they add the extra tip automatically. If it is double dipping, well, I think the servers in the specialty restaurants deserve to double dip.

I do think the additional tip should be discretionary, like the DSC, but I feel confident that if you do have a service problem, the front desk will refund the 18% and a part of your DSC corresponding to that meal.

this is extremely logical, thanks for spelling it out like that. It was what I was thinking but couldn't articulate. I really do understand everyone's frustration with the idea of double dipping, but maybe we can instead look at it like this- that it's simply increasing the tip to a level commensurate with service- which many admit to doing anyhow. I know, I know, it's different if it's MANDATED rather than your own idea.... but as others have said, I'm sure it's removable if you really think it's not worth it. This seems more fair than simply increasing the DSC since it's a "service" that not everyone on the ship chooses to use (specialty dining).... much like the 18% on bar tabs.

Edited by rjm11

Yes! Agree. Waitstaff are already getting the $12.95 per day or $14.95 per day through the DSC and with this additional 18%, no matter how small it is, no matter that it's the same or less than I would leave in cash for them or not, it's still double dipping......IMHO.

Harriet

Agreed. I would much rather leave my own tip if service is outstanding. And usually it is, but we should not be forced to pay it and the DSC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I called again today after being assured last night that this wasn't true....I again was assured this wasn't true and asked to speak to a supervisor who also assured me, but the supervisor called the ship anyway to put my mind at ease.....and it's true, they are now charging 18 percent. so for those of you who believe the waiters deserve more, thank you, you got your wish....can I give you my reservation number so you can prepay mine since you are so free with your money (and mine). by no means am I cheap, I've stayed in the most expensive suites on most cruise lines, however I like to reward deserving employees at my own discretion, furthermore I don't want to find out when I get on a cruise that I could be paying a surcharge for toilet paper or pool towels.

While not announcing the gratuity may,indeed, be underhanded or less than transparent, this charge bothers me not at all. I also do not understand how lowering your DSC is an answer to your outrage. The majority of us claim to and probably do give a tip more than the 18 percent. How does lowering the DSC have ANYTHING to do with this auto grat? Yes, yes, we dont want to be forced to tip. I get it. But the level of anger on this thread is amazing!!!

All is well and good when we are able to afford a suite because we get kids sail free, UBC, UDP and DSC paid for....but start another auto grat and BAM!

Maybe there is a choice to be made by NCL- get rid of giant promos and delete the mandatory auto grat.

Or maybe this was just a Spring Break auto gratuity.

While it will not affect me at all as our next cruises are all booked under the promo, It would not be enough for me .

HOWEVER- If I was in a specialty rest and the service stunk or was lacking, I would speak to the appropriate person and have the 18% removed.

We read here about people wanting to know how many family memebers they can stuff in to a cabin for the KSF promo, yet get apoplectic about a service charge in a restaurant.

Perhaps we are seeing a class system- if you can afford the specialties, you should pay more? Much like the much-maligned increase in DSC for suites...is this an example of those with more pay more?( and , yes, not all suite dwellers are Thurston and Lovey Howell.

Far too often we see comments like "if you can afford a suite, why are you carpiong on about the cost of X, Y or Z". Darest we apply the same here? I personally dont buy in to this notion, but maybe that is some of the thinking behind this.

But , since none of us knows yet, why get upset? Is this a test, a temporary measure , an effort to help the waitstaff because the UDP folks don't tip? As for my family, we cruise different lines. But an extra $100 dollars for the WEEK that it would cost my family of 5 and we bought the UDP is NOT going to make me not go on a cruise that I know I am going to enjoy.

And, if this really is going to be the norm..dont ya'll think that other lines will take heed?

Too soon to get the knickers in a twist!

Another one completely missing the point :rolleyes:

::going to twist my knickers some more:: :rolleyes:

The 18% gratuity in the specialty restaurants is basically unfair to all waitstaff. They work just as hard in the MDR or possibly harder than those in the specialties. The specialties are usually nearer to the kitchens than the MDR's.

The people who work the specialties also work the MDR or buffet for the other two meals.

The ONLY reason NCL can assess the 18% in the specialties is the fact that there is a dollar figure attached to the meals where the MDR's don't have a dollar figure.

I believe it is an "opportunistic maneuver" by NCL management.

Agreed. I would much rather leave my own tip if service is outstanding. And usually it is, but we should not be forced to pay it and the DSC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

NCL needs to come out with a release or something concerning this. Maybe they have restructured, and now the MDR staff are only going to be in the MDR? Who knows. I know this has never been the case. We have seen "our" servers in the MDR, the buffet, and the specialties. Maybe that has changed .... but they need to clarify this.

The 18% gratuity in the specialty restaurants is basically unfair to all waitstaff. They work just as hard in the MDR or possibly harder than those in the specialties. The specialties are usually nearer to the kitchens than the MDR's.

The people who work the specialties also work the MDR or buffet for the other two meals.

The ONLY reason NCL can assess the 18% in the specialties is the fact that there is a dollar figure attached to the meals where the MDR's don't have a dollar figure.

I believe it is an "opportunistic maneuver" by NCL management.

Agreed 100%. Those "complaining" about the experienced cruisers being up in arms over this are either clueless, or just not comprehending.

NCL needs to come out with a release or something concerning this. Maybe they have restructured, and now the MDR staff are only going to be in the MDR? Who knows. I know this has never been the case. We have seen "our" servers in the MDR, the buffet, and the specialties. Maybe that has changed .... but they need to clarify this.

True. Because if they are still rotating wouldn't you think every wait staff would want to be first in line for the specialty restaurants? After all, they'll be getting their share of the DSC and then 18% on top of this. But.....ARE they getting the 18%? We still have no idea where that's actually going.

Harriet

True. Because if they are still rotating wouldn't you think every wait staff would want to be first in line for the specialty restaurants? After all, they'll be getting their share of the DSC and then 18% on top of this. But.....ARE they getting the 18%? We still have no idea where that's actually going.

Harriet

I do not believe for one second this money is going to the servers. We have always kept our DSC in place so each person we tipped individually could keep what we gave them. Is that still going to be the case? Regardless, it seems this will stop folks from tipping extra.

Edited by SissasMomE

Everyone is getting all hot and bothered, but we don't know all the facts. Possibly the waiters in the specialty restaurants did not get the same percentage of the DSC as the waiters in the main dining room, because NCL thought (and I think they thought wrong) most would tip those servers in those restaurants. Or now with the change, we have no idea if the servers in the specialty restaurant will get any of the DSC, possibly just the 18% gratuity, which would probably cover them for the three meals they serve. And we don't know, as one poster suggested, that NCL is keeping any of the 18% gratuity for themselves and not passing it on to the servers.

What NCL is going to do, is their business. Do you go into a business on land and ask them how they pay their staff. When you go to a land based restaurant, do you ask the server if she or he tips out the back of the house or if their tips are pooled. I'm sure the answer is no, then why is it so important to know how NCL pays their crew.

If you don't want to pay the 18% gratuity at the specialty restaurant, you have two choices....either don't go to any of the restaurants or ask the manager to take it off your bill....it is your choice!

And, no, this will not stop me from tipping extra if the tip is warranted.

Edited by NLH Arizona