Did NCL change its policy on topless sunbathing?

TadNeurotic

There used to be a freestyle deck on some ships where full nudity was ok.

Then, if I recall correctly, Norwegian said no nudity at all.

Now I'm seeing a reference to toplessness being banned except in designated areas. So there are designated areas?

At least on Getaway, it is absolutely NOT adults only or topless/nude. I specifically looked for any kind of sign banning kids, or mentioning clothing optional. There was nothing. It was simply called "Sundeck" on the signs pointing that direction, and it was just like any other sundeck with a mix of kids and adults, all fully clothed.

At least on Getaway, it is absolutely NOT adults only or topless/nude. I specifically looked for any kind of sign banning kids, or mentioning clothing optional. There was nothing. It was simply called "Sundeck" on the signs pointing that direction, and it was just like any other sundeck with a mix of kids and adults, all fully clothed.

....as it should be.

There used to be a freestyle deck on some ships where full nudity was ok.

Then, if I recall correctly, Norwegian said no nudity at all.

Now I'm seeing a reference to toplessness being banned except in designated areas. So there are designated areas?

I don't remember ever an all nudity deck, but then I am not the type that would go looking for this. I do know the top deck, certain location was and still is topless optional. I am betting the designated areas are still the same, top deck.

On our Pearl cruise over Christmas and NYE there were some women who were sunbathing topless on the Sun Deck. I actually saw a nude sunbather near the pool deck but she was about 2 years old. ;)

I didn't really notice the topless sunbathers until my DH mentioned it to me. YMMV.

On the sun there was a sign to theme freestyle sun deck that said adults only, perhaps on the older vessels it has remained there, and maybe just maybe euro itineraries allow these decks to be used for such activities, when I was on the Jade in 2011 my wife and I missed the sign to the freestyle deck, and got more than we bargained for at the top of the stairs

*Living large one week at a time*

....as it should be.

not sure why you would say that...different cultures see things differently. I believe many Europeans think there is nothing wrong with nude sunbathing in public areas; maybe they know something we don't?

or maybe I misunderstood your comment?

Edited by alexspepa

So the top deck of the breakaway is topless?

The Freestyle Deck is located at the top of the ship, deck 18. Nothing else up there. It is a small area. Not sure if the sign says Adult Only or not. Not sure about other ships but I know I have seen them on some older ships as well.

The "Sun" Deck is not the "Freestyle Deck". Go to the highest deck and look for an out of the way set of stairs leading up to a small area which can't be viewed from anywhere else on the ship.

Edited by punkincc

Let the flesh fly if that's your thing, nobody is forced to go up there so if passengers choose to disrobe it's nobody's business to say it's wrong, pull the stick out before you folks taste wood, it's only flesh, not an orgy

Edited by Solararc

not sure why you would say that...different cultures see things differently. I believe many Europeans think there is nothing wrong with nude sunbathing in public areas; maybe they know something we don't?

or maybe I misunderstood your comment?

Exactly nothing a family going on a beach holiday in Spain wouldn't see but as we know from the Epic bathroom situation some American's are very conservative or religious and not want their kids to see.

Lots of people in Europe don't see anything wrong in sunbathing topless or completely nude. After all, it's not all adults who only see "boobs and bits" as objects relating soley to sex and debauchery. I think in Europe a designated area of a ship is appropriate and reflective of the fact that there is a high percentage of beaches of this type in the area - and also a high % of people from these countries on the ship.

Edited by Cloudyrain

Lots of people in Europe don't see anything wrong in sunbathing topless or completely nude.

It was quite amusing at a hotel I was staying at in the Canary Islands a year or two ago.

I thought that some the wife of a couple of middle age American tourists was going to kill her husband when a young lady, who had been sunbathing topless, got out of the pool and in the middle of the sunbathing area, calmly took off her wet bikini bottoms and put on a dry pair.

And then I thought the wife was going to die of shock when the young lady's boyfriend got out of the pool did the same with his trunks.

I didn't see them by the pool after that.

As a minister, on my next NCL cruise I shall hold a prayer meeting on the sun deck and ask that I be permitted to see these evil things that prompt so much debate in this thread. And yes, I do believe that my prayers are answered.

It was quite amusing at a hotel I was staying at in the Canary Islands a year or two ago.

I thought that some the wife of a couple of middle age American tourists was going to kill her husband when a young lady, who had been sunbathing topless, got out of the pool and in the middle of the sunbathing area, calmly took off her wet bikini bottoms and put on a dry pair.

And then I thought the wife was going to die of shock when the young lady's boyfriend got out of the pool did the same with his trunks.

I didn't see them by the pool after that.

Time for us to book a trip to the Canary Islands!!

And here the wife thought I brought my binoculars for whale watching

😜😜😜😜

you are making a comment about the really fat fat clothed people prople on board the cruises. As I have seen anyone naked on any NCL ship:rolleyes::rolleyes:

From the Epic on the March 1, 2015 sailing... On the uppermost deck, there is a signed "Freestyle Sun Deck" that has a sign that says "Adults Only". The "Adults Only" sign is located directly at the base of the set of steps that must be walked to get up to the deck. It is a small area, with maybe room for 15-20 deck chairs. The sign does not indicated what "Adults Only" means and it makes no reference to "topless", "nudity", or "clothing optional". There were indeed topless and/or nude men and women on that deck during the cruise, including a member of the ship's musical talent crew. Many people (including some teenagers) either did not notice the sign or did not know what "Adults Only" might imply or did not care what it might imply because they would walk up the steps, turn the corner and see the skin and quickly turn around and walk back down. Many of them giggling.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Too bad that so many cruise lines are eliminating the topless sun decks. It's bizarre that we've come so far as a society in some areas, yet still be so regressive in others. We're all born naked, and many of us go out the same way. The shame and guilt peddled by puritanical types keep us in constant fear of ourselves.

Edited by DarthGrady