Quantum / Anthem Questions

dst87

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are booked on to our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Anthem of the Seas, which appealed to us as tech lovers for our honeymoon!

We normally sail with Celebrity and, as I am a big foodie I find their offering very good in the MDR and outstanding in the specialities. After booking Anthem for us, I went on a Splendour of the Seas cruise with a friend and was disappointing to find the quality of the food in the MDR, as well as the service, to be quite poor in comparison. Chops Grill was more like the MDR food on Celebrity, probably a little better in fact.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the food on Quantum, which I imagine to be very similar to that of Anthem?

Secondly, I noticed when I went to book dining on the portal that there is a note saying:

"We will do our best to accommodate your party to a private table."

Alex and I (especially Alex) strongly prefer a table for two for dinner. We like to eat at our own pace and being a bit younger have had some bad experiences with dinner companions who have excluded us from conversation purely because they assumed we had nothing to contribute. The idea of turning up to a restaurant every night and not knowing whether we'll get our table for two, or have to sit with others, fills me with dread! Add to this the fact that we're on our honeymoon, and I really would prefer a table for two!

Does anyone who has pre-booked dining on Quantum have experience with how good Royal Caribbean are at honouring group sizes? What I find strange is that the default is that they'll attempt to accommodate your group at a private table, but as most cruisers I've encountered and spoken to on forums etc. seem to prefer a shared table, I find this odd! Why not ask whether you'd prefer a private table or a shared table?

All in all I'm beginning to worry that this was a poor choice of cruise for our honeymoon. We're young and love the tech, but I'm concerned that the quality will not live up to our expectations from Celebrity, especially for our honeymoon. AND this is the most expensive cruise we've ever booked!

Advice greatly appreciated!

Can anyone comment on the quality of the food on Quantum, which I imagine to be very similar to that of Anthem?

Secondly, I noticed when I went to book dining on the portal that there is a note saying:

Alex and I (especially Alex) strongly prefer a table for two for dinner. We like to eat at our own pace and being a bit younger have had some bad experiences with dinner companions who have excluded us from conversation purely because they assumed we had nothing to contribute. The idea of turning up to a restaurant every night and not knowing whether we'll get our table for two, or have to sit with others, fills me with dread! Add to this the fact that we're on our honeymoon, and I really would prefer a table for two!

Quality of food is similar to other RCCL ships - however different type of food offerings in the different dining rooms - Grande is close to MDR.

We have only booked table for two at Quantum (two cruises) - no shared tables - you cannot reserve at table for two at the web, but when you show up at the restaurant you can request a table for two - a bit more waiting time. Once onboard make your reservations at the entrance to the restaurants - do not need to make reservations at the web prior to the cruise except if you want to dine early. - after 07:30 pm lot of available seats.

Quality of food is similar to other RCCL ships - however different type of food offerings in the different dining rooms - Grande is close to MDR.

We have only booked table for two at Quantum (two cruises) - no shared tables - you cannot reserve at table for two at the web, but when you show up at the restaurant you can request a table for two - a bit more waiting time. Once onboard make your reservations at the entrance to the restaurants - do not need to make reservations at the web prior to the cruise except if you want to dine early. - after 07:30 pm lot of available seats.

That's interesting, thanks for the advice.

I know on my Splendour of the Seas cruise tables for two were very difficult to come by without a prior reservation. In fact we only dined in the MDR twice for that reason.

I seem to be getting the impression that with the new dining concept on Quantum/Anthem the smaller restaurants are more set up for 2s and 4s than the traditional MDR on older ships that seem to cater more for larger, shared groups.

My concern about not booking early is that we don't want to miss out on any of the restaurants while we're on board, but perhaps this is unnecessary...

I think the quality of the food is the part of Celebrity I'm most going to miss on Anthem, but don't think I'm hating on RCI as there were a lot of positives about my cruise on Splendour too! :)

We have for many year only had table for two . at ships with traditional dining we are using My Time / Select Dining - and then reserve the table for two once onboard - never had a problem.

At Quantum, apart for being busy up to 19:30 not a problem getting a table for two in any of the restaurants.

In general I do not like to book dining in advance - I want to see which activities and then plan dining around that - absolutely no problems at my cruises

We have for many year only had table for two . at ships with traditional dining we are using My Time / Select Dining - and then reserve the table for two once onboard - never had a problem.

At Quantum, apart for being busy up to 19:30 not a problem getting a table for two in any of the restaurants.

In general I do not like to book dining in advance - I want to see which activities and then plan dining around that - absolutely no problems at my cruises

Thanks again. You've alleviated some of my concerns! I, like you, would rather wait to see the entertainment schedule before booking dining (it seems mad to be booking months in advance!) so your comments that after 19:30 it's easy to get a table are great, as we would normally pick the 20:30 sitting on Celebrity's Classic dining - we're used to eating later on holiday!

Maybe this is the best option then - wait until we're onboard. As this is going to be mine and Alex's honeymoon I'd like to at least have some nice meals that are just the two of us!

We were on the Quantum last month and never had a problem at any of the 5 restaurants when asking for a table for two. We never waited more than 15 minutes, which was the first night, after that we were in within 5 minutes. We did have reservations for all restaurants and shows and it worked out great.

I would recommend that you make reservations for dining and then if the entertainment conflicts change your dining reservations. You have nothing to lose, otherwise you may find that some of the dining venues are booked once the entertainment is available.

As far as the quality of the food, I ate at Jamies and Izumi (a la carte sushi place) and both were realy really good. I miss the lemon meruinge cheese cake they made at jamies. The sushi place will make whatever you want. The deserts in the restaurants are pretty good overall.

I even got some great meals in Windgamer, I had outstandimg prime rib 2 nights, and fish options like talapia were always avaiable and well propared. There was a station where you have pasta made to order that was popular too.

My personal theory is that they are using top grade ingredients right now to produce great food, so when whiners bitch that traditional dining is gone, the response is that but hey the food we offer is outstanding.

We were on the Quantum last month and never had a problem at any of the 5 restaurants when asking for a table for two. We never waited more than 15 minutes, which was the first night, after that we were in within 5 minutes. We did have reservations for all restaurants and shows and it worked out great.

I would recommend that you make reservations for dining and then if the entertainment conflicts change your dining reservations. You have nothing to lose, otherwise you may find that some of the dining venues are booked once the entertainment is available.

Thanks for the reply! I think we might make reservations for all of the restaurants once, at our usual 8:30 sort of time. If the entertainment schedule goes up before then we can move things about or endure the mad bun-fight of the Windjammer if absolutely necessary - I doubt it will come to that though.

We're sailing for 14-nights so we'll have days left at the end where we can revisit our favourite restaurants!

I sounds like the big show (We Will Rock You) will be on a few times in the evening and a few times during the day as well, so assuming it's on a sea day we can see that in the afternoon and it won't infringe on our evening dining plans :)

As far as the quality of the food, I ate at Jamies and Izumi (a la carte sushi place) and both were realy really good. I miss the lemon meruinge cheese cake they made at jamies. The sushi place will make whatever you want. The deserts in the restaurants are pretty good overall.

I even got some great meals in Windgamer, I had outstandimg prime rib 2 nights, and fish options like talapia were always avaiable and well propared. There was a station where you have pasta made to order that was popular too.

My personal theory is that they are using top grade ingredients right now to produce great food, so when whiners bitch that traditional dining is gone, the response is that but hey the food we offer is outstanding.

That's good to hear. I'm going to have to just wait and see and hope for the best. I'm optimistic that with the many more, smaller restaurants compared to Splendour there will be a greater quality, but only time will tell. I heard so many people complement the food on Splendour (including my cruise-newbie friend) and I just didn't get it!

But - whatever the food is like I'm still going to have a great time. We've got an inclusive drinks package which will be upgraded to the Ultimate package (for me) and I'm so thrilled to see all of the new technology and the beautiful, shiny new ship! Alex and I are big geeks and we love all that stuff!

Another question: I had the ultimate package on Splendour in November, and I found it's operation really strange - I could only choose wine from the bar menu, and if there was a glass that was more expensive they refused to let me pay the difference which just doesn't make business sense to me. So some of the speciality restaurants (specifically Chops) which had their own wine list, these glasses were not available to me on the ULTIMATE package, which seems like a contradiction! And the wait staff seemed a bit clueless too, as they had to go and fetch a wine list from the bar as if nobody on a package orders wine in speciality restaurants!! Advice appreciated once again!

It sounds like the big show (We Will Rock You) will be on a few times in the evening and a few times during the day as well, so assuming it's on a sea day we can see that in the afternoon and it won't infringe on our evening dining plans :)

Normally the show is on for a few times in the first couple of days at night and during the day. So as soon as it is available, book it. Entertainment should be available to book 60-30 days before sail.

Enjoy your honeymoon and cruise.

Hi Duncan and Alex,

Glad to hear you two are tieing the knot! When is your honeymoon sailing on Anthem? We are on the Canary Islands trip in September. We went on Eclipse again last October after meeting you two on her in May that year and this year felt like trying something different. We are on P&O Britannia next week (with both our Mums) so two new Southampton based ships in one year. Its going to be interesting to compare them. Hope you are both well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Duncan and Alex,

Glad to hear you two are tieing the knot! When is your honeymoon sailing on Anthem? We are on the Canary Islands trip in September. We went on Eclipse again last October after meeting you two on her in May that year and this year felt like trying something different. We are on P&O Britannia next week (with both our Mums) so two new Southampton based ships in one year. Its going to be interesting to compare them. Hope you are both well.

Hi Kevin,

Lovely to hear from you! Our honeymoon sailing is the 1st September cruise to the Med - most of the ports are different from the Eclipse cruise we met you on with a couple of exceptions. I was also ill for Florence/Pisa so will look forward to seeing that too!

I've never been drawn to P&O but would quite like to give them a go at some point - Britannia looks lovely in pictures so maybe that's the draw I need! Have a wonderful time, and I look forward to hearing about it :)

Best wishes to you both!

Hi Kevin,

Lovely to hear from you! Our honeymoon sailing is the 1st September cruise to the Med - most of the ports are different from the Eclipse cruise we met you on with a couple of exceptions. I was also ill for Florence/Pisa so will look forward to seeing that too!

I've never been drawn to P&O but would quite like to give them a go at some point - Britannia looks lovely in pictures so maybe that's the draw I need! Have a wonderful time, and I look forward to hearing about it :)

Best wishes to you both!

Hi Duncan,

So pleased you are getting wed. Will be looking forward to reading your blog on Anthem just weeks before we board so hoping for some tips! Weve been on P&O before and we know it will suit our 80 year old Mums in terms of food and entertainment but Anthem in Sep is just for us. Excited given she is only here for one season. Hope you get to experience Pisa/Florence this time.

Thanks for the reply! I think we might make reservations for all of the restaurants once, at our usual 8:30 sort of time.

That should be easy to do with the Classic late option - the only issue then is the rotation of the restaurants. We'll have to see how Classic is actually implemented once it rolls out next month.

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are booked on to our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Anthem of the Seas, which appealed to us as tech lovers for our honeymoon!

We normally sail with Celebrity and, as I am a big foodie I find their offering very good in the MDR and outstanding in the specialities. After booking Anthem for us, I went on a Splendour of the Seas cruise with a friend and was disappointing to find the quality of the food in the MDR, as well as the service, to be quite poor in comparison. Chops Grill was more like the MDR food on Celebrity, probably a little better in fact.

Does anyone who has pre-booked dining on Quantum have experience with how good Royal Caribbean are at honouring group sizes? What I find strange is that the default is that they'll attempt to accommodate your group at a private table, but as most cruisers I've encountered and spoken to on forums etc. seem to prefer a shared table, I find this odd! Why not ask whether you'd prefer a private table or a shared table?

All in all I'm beginning to worry that this was a poor choice of cruise for our honeymoon. We're young and love the tech, but I'm concerned that the quality will not live up to our expectations from Celebrity, especially for our honeymoon. AND this is the most expensive cruise we've ever booked!

Advice greatly appreciated!

Ok Here are my suggests. First try some of the specialty restaurants. Our personal favorite on Quantum was both Jamie Italian and Izumi. We also went to both Chops and Wonderland. We did not enjoy Wonderland. You fill up on appetizers and when the main comes not to hungry. However, if you decide you want to try Wonderland the Beef dish was wonderful. We both order the chicken and fish which were great but the beef was the best.

I suggest you call guest services two weeks before you cruise to request window table for two. Also state to them you are on your honeymoon and do not want to seat near other people. Usually they will email the ship to put in your requests. Celebrity is our own personal favorite ship however the Anthem will work if you come in with an open mind. The best thing about this new ship is there are things to do all night. The Music Hall is a great location for late night entertainment. If you do not want to dress up for dinner that works especially well on this ship.

Also we are not a great fan of the Wind Jammer Café. Better to go to 270 café for a lite breakfast and lunch. The roast beef sandwich at 270 are amazing. They also make made to order salad there as well. 270 is the best place to get away for crowds. Also the sportplex is a great area for things to do on sea days.

Enjoy your honeymoon

sailnjmom49

That should be easy to do with the Classic late option - the only issue then is the rotation of the restaurants. We'll have to see how Classic is actually implemented once it rolls out next month.

I don't plan to actually change my reservation to Classic as I don't want a fixed restaurant each night. I'd just make reservations that coincide with the Classic times on the assumption that entertainment will work around those times.

Ok Here are my suggests. First try some of the specialty restaurants. Our personal favorite on Quantum was both Jamie Italian and Izumi. We also went to both Chops and Wonderland. We did not enjoy Wonderland. You fill up on appetizers and when the main comes not to hungry. However, if you decide you want to try Wonderland the Beef dish was wonderful. We both order the chicken and fish which were great but the beef was the best.

I suggest you call guest services two weeks before you cruise to request window table for two. Also state to them you are on your honeymoon and do not want to seat near other people. Usually they will email the ship to put in your requests. Celebrity is our own personal favorite ship however the Anthem will work if you come in with an open mind. The best thing about this new ship is there are things to do all night. The Music Hall is a great location for late night entertainment. If you do not want to dress up for dinner that works especially well on this ship.

Also we are not a great fan of the Wind Jammer Café. Better to go to 270 café for a lite breakfast and lunch. The roast beef sandwich at 270 are amazing. They also make made to order salad there as well. 270 is the best place to get away for crowds. Also the sportplex is a great area for things to do on sea days.

Enjoy your honeymoon

sailnjmom49

Wow thank you so much for the detailed reply! That's a nice tip contacting guest services. I'll look up their number on the Royal Caribbean website (if I can find it!)

I'm definitely going to look at the speciality restaurants - I have no issue paying for them if the food and service are better than in the MDR.

Wonderland definitely looks like it would be up my alley based on the menu, but it also looks like the sort of food that might not appeal to some people so I guess we'll have to see. Variety is the spice of life and the idea of being able to dine at a different restaurant almost every night really appeals to me!

We'll definitely approach Anthem with an open mind and even if we think the food is a bit rubbish, we'll still have a good time and make the most of it. We're not ones to complain very often so we just get on with it and enjoy ourselves! If all else fails I'll get a seat in 270 by the window and armed with a cocktail and my Kindle I'll have a wonderfully relaxing time :)