Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

A full ship like the Getaway collects upwards of $375,000 in DSC each and every week. NCL tries to sail the ship at capacity each and every cruise. In one year that's $137 million or more collected from the DSC. That is a heck of a lot of incentive and must mean some extremely awesome parties!!

If that was all 'bonus' money I would expect some phenomenal service from folks trying to earn their share!

Rochelle

Also, if you divide that weekly number among say, 1,500 staff on board, it comes out to $250 per person. That's not an unreasonable number. Subtract from the 375k a percentage for their "crew welfare" it gets smaller. And consider that some may get more, and some may get less, based on their performance. This is what make it an incentive. It's not a sure thing. They need to work toward it, however NCL decides.

It's not that clear. I completely agree that the two statements you quoted can be interpreted that way, but they can also be interpreted as saying that the service charge only supports the incentive programs. The syntax is 100% ambiguous, which is pretty unacceptable for language in a contract that we all have to sign. I tend to agree with you that the DSC probably also funds salaries, because otherwise, as Rochelle said, it would be a pretty huge incentive fund. But after all, we have zero idea of how these incentive programs work.

It's not unclear. "Supports" refers back to both salary and incentive programs because of the absence of a comma between "salary" and "and incentive programs". If the wording was intended to say that the service charge supports only the incentive programs it would have been written as (or similar):

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary, and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest.

With all the rampant speculation and opinions I see here, has anybody bothered to try to determine what the income actually is for those who work on the cruise ships ??

I submit this not for you to try to start arguments, but to stimulate you to do some research instead of the constant disputes that have arisen on this and other threads.

Below is a link as a place to start, and if interested, you can do further research on your own.

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/

With all the rampant speculation and opinions I see here, has anybody bothered to try to determine what the income actually is for those who work on the cruise ships ??

I submit this not for you to try to start arguments, but to stimulate you to do some research instead of the constant disputes that have arisen on this and other threads.

Below is a link as a place to start, and if interested, you can do further research on your own.

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/

Why should they? It's nobody's business what these people earn.

Why should they? It's nobody's business what these people earn.

Thank you.

Those numbers are just an approximate based on numerous lines, as well.

People need to stop freaking out, accept that NCL has policies on how they pay and reward their employees that will remain unbeknown to you, and either sail with them, or choose not to. If their employees were so mistreated and underpaid, they wouldn't be there and they wouldn't keep renewing their contracts.

Thank you.

Those numbers are just an approximate based on numerous lines, as well.

People need to stop freaking out, accept that NCL has policies on how they pay and reward their employees that will remain unbeknown to you, and either sail with them, or choose not to. If their employees were so mistreated and underpaid, they wouldn't be there and they wouldn't keep renewing their contracts.

A third choice is to sail with NCL, but avail oneself of rights under the Contract and adjust DSC to whatever level one desires.

A third choice is to sail with NCL, but avail oneself of rights under the Contract and adjust DSC to whatever level one desires.

Or, keep DSC in place as to not hurt any other crew members and remove 18% gratuity in restaurants and tip only if you feel the service was over and above.

Harriet

Or, keep DSC in place as to not hurt any other crew members and remove 18% gratuity in restaurants and tip only if you feel the service was over and above.

Harriet

If I completely remove my DSC, all the folks who served me for the week will have to share an entire nickel ($0.05) of DSC less than otherwise. (1/4000 * $200 for the cabin)

And if the "pool" is fleet wide and not just ship wide, they'd have to make do with just half a cent ($0.005) of DSC less. That's everybody: room steward, MDR/buffet wait staff, laundry people, etc., etc.

NCL would notice this long before there's any significant impact on workers.

Or do you think they put the tipping in place because the staff were getting stiffed by a big number of cruisers??? Cruisers not paying tips, and the staff not getting tipped for their good service.

But the staff was not getting "stiffed" because NCL official policy was that they were part of the DSC and no other tipping was require.

You can't say tipping is not required and then say we are adding an auto gratuity because you didn't tip!

electro

People should stop giving excuses for NCL to use to justify this. Ncl is not looking out for you the passenger, not sure why as passengers one needs to look out for NCL. Specialty restaurants have been around for at least 10 years, no way any staff has been shortchanged all this time. It's not 18% on just specialty dining, It's 18% on any bill you have on board maybe with the exception of the giftshops. For now anyway. I don't put anything past big corporations when it comes to trying to get me to part with my money. We are the only ones who can look after our hard earned money. Don't give it away without getting something in return. Paying twice for something is not prudent or logical.

Edited by SJ

There are some people on this board that say if you remove dsc or sth then there is no reason for the steward to make up your bed etc!!i believe they dont have a clue that the crew on board are emploees they earn their salary they are paid to do the bed or anything else...tip is not their salary its a tip..if i dont tip they are obliged to make up my bed as i am obliged to do my job as perfectly i can without wanting or asking tips!!!so these people are not worried or against paying double tips or triple tips etc...all the latest changes in ncl made me so sad because i no longer believe that all these money go to the crew maybe a very small amount so for me from now on its bye bye dsc bye bye tips unless i see extrordunary service from a staff which i will tip really really generously with cash because its my miney and i can do whatever i want with my money

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They should do this so they will be able to make sensible comments instead of the asinine opinions they are expressing.
I agree somewhat. I don't think NCL owes us any information on how much their crew is paid out of the DSC, but I think they need to either update their website or have a press release that explains the reason for, who gets paid out of the DSC and why they implemented the 18 percent gratuity. I've lost some respect for NCL executives for letting this go on this long without making a statement and I will say, if they lose any customers or revenue onboard because of it, it is their own darn fault for being silent. Even after saying this, I still stand by what I believe. Edited by NLH Arizona

Based on what? Your assumptions?

Nope !!!! The ticket contract appiies in this instance.

Ever hear the line ?--- It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

Many choose not to accept information, but readily absorb opinions.

Edited by swedish weave

I like to weigh in here on the subject. I'll preface this by saying that DW and I along with 28 other extended family members are booked on the April 26th sailing of the BA. The two of us are first time cruisers and the others are all first time NCL customers.

I've read all 25 pages of this thread and feel that there is a lot of outrage over this 18% increase and I'm trying really hard to understand why. I see some say it's the "principle" of how it was implemented and I get that to some degree, but it would seem to me that it's somewhat of a pointless exercise.

NCL changed a policy and while it may have been "wrong" to do so they felt the need to do it. Now while I feel some sympathy for those who have already booked, I find it ridiculous to demand how NCL distributes the money it takes in regardless of whether it's the DSC or the new 18% gratuity.

I also find it disturbing that some posters here would demean or be abusive towards fellow posters that do what they call "cheerleading" or "defending" NCl. Just because some here are not outraged over the new policy, doesn't negate their point of view.

I've been reading these boards for over a year(since we booked) and have always found this place to be a great source of information AND a friendly place to discuss NCL. This thread has made me rethink that opinion.

I've also seen several "veteran" posters say that those of us new to NCL will take this as normal. This is both a true and false statement as I'm sure some will but to lump all new cruisers into a stereotype is offensive. Many people do extensive research when they book an expensive vacation like a cruise, in fact I would say that most do indeed research the costs involved.

I see a simple choice here. If someone feels they are being "nickel and dimed" by NCL then after your booked sailing simply go elsewhere. Don't however condemn those that choose to continue to sail NCL just because thier opinion differs from yours. Everyone is different and some people see more "pros" to NCL than "cons" despite this policy change.

As for myself and my extended family? I'll reserve judgement on NCL for after my cruise. Despite the rules changing I still feel that I got very good value for my budget and I'm looking forward to our sailing.

I know that perhaps this first post of mine may ruffle some feathers and I'm okay with that because in the end I respect my fellow posters opinions agree or not and I'd like to think that I will have many great discussions about cruising in the future.

There are some people on this board that say if you remove dsc or sth then there is no reason for the steward to make up your bed etc!!i believe they dont have a clue that the crew on board are emploees they earn their salary they are paid to do the bed or anything else...tip is not their salary its a tip..if i dont tip they are obliged to make up my bed as i am obliged to do my job as perfectly i can without wanting or asking tips!!!so these people are not worried or against paying double tips or triple tips etc...all the latest changes in ncl made me so sad because i no longer believe that all these money go to the crew maybe a very small amount so for me from now on its bye bye dsc bye bye tips unless i see extrordunary service from a staff which i will tip really really generously with cash because its my miney and i can do whatever i want with my money

Cruise fare covers the room, the DSC covers the room steward that will clean/fix your room. Check out what faq for what the cruise fare covers - its says accommodations, nothing about the room steward because they fall under 'Service Charges'.....Gotta read that fine print, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I agree somewhat. I don't think NCL owes us any information on how much their crew is paid out of the DSC, but I think they need to either update their website or have a press release that explains the reason for, who gets paid out of the DSC and why they implemented the 18 percent gratuity. I've lost some respect for NCL executives for letting this go on this long without making a statement and I will say, if they lose any customers or revenue onboard because of it, it is their own darn fault for being silent. Even after saying this, I still stand by what I believe.

I agree with this. While it's not our business how they distribute the DSC or how they pay their staff, they should update their website to alleviate some confusion and calm some of this speculation.

And I still say I'll pay the DSC, but the UDP if I so choose. If I find the service absolutely excellent, I'll most likely tip them extra. And if I don't decide I want to buy the UDP, I'll make my dining choices accordingly. If I don't want to spend that money, I won't go. Simple as that.

Are you serious???so if someone who doesnt pay dsc after he finishes lunch i am pretty sure that security comes and takes him to the galley to do his dish since doing dishes is covered only if you buy dsc!!!you are hilarious you made me laugh a lot thanks a lot lol

Are you serious???so if someone who doesnt pay dsc after he finishes lunch i am pretty sure that security comes and takes him to the galley to do his dish since doing dishes is covered only if you buy dsc!!!you are hilarious you made me laugh a lot thanks a lot lol

No, you'd just be really cheap. And who wants to be known as "that guy"?

(Apparently, a lot of people...)

Edited by AEckhardt

It's been a long time since I've 'researched' cruise pay, but when I did it was just about nonexistent for those who we usually come in contact with (and many of the behind the scenes folks who support those people). And I doubt that has changed much ;)

These folks rely heavily on the DSC for their income. I hope those who want to hurt the line by removing the DSC (and are actually hurting only those low paid employees) find that Karma can be an unkind lady

Of course I understand that. The difference is at other business they are not tacking it on after the sale is made. My decision to purchase is based on the sticker price plus sales tax, not plus employee wages. My local supermarket already priced in their operating costs which include employee wages in the price of milk. I hope you see the difference and understand my point.

Well said.

I like to weigh in here on the subject. I'll preface this by saying that DW and I along with 28 other extended family members are booked on the April 26th sailing of the BA. The two of us are first time cruisers and the others are all first time NCL customers.

I've read all 25 pages of this thread and feel that there is a lot of outrage over this 18% increase and I'm trying really hard to understand why. I see some say it's the "principle" of how it was implemented and I get that to some degree, but it would seem to me that it's somewhat of a pointless exercise.

NCL changed a policy and while it may have been "wrong" to do so they felt the need to do it. Now while I feel some sympathy for those who have already booked, I find it ridiculous to demand how NCL distributes the money it takes in regardless of whether it's the DSC or the new 18% gratuity.

I also find it disturbing that some posters here would demean or be abusive towards fellow posters that do what they call "cheerleading" or "defending" NCl. Just because some here are not outraged over the new policy, doesn't negate their point of view.

I've been reading these boards for over a year(since we booked) and have always found this place to be a great source of information AND a friendly place to discuss NCL. This thread has made me rethink that opinion.

I've also seen several "veteran" posters say that those of us new to NCL will take this as normal. This is both a true and false statement as I'm sure some will but to lump all new cruisers into a stereotype is offensive. Many people do extensive research when they book an expensive vacation like a cruise, in fact I would say that most do indeed research the costs involved.

I see a simple choice here. If someone feels they are being "nickel and dimed" by NCL then after your booked sailing simply go elsewhere. Don't however condemn those that choose to continue to sail NCL just because thier opinion differs from yours. Everyone is different and some people see more "pros" to NCL than "cons" despite this policy change.

As for myself and my extended family? I'll reserve judgement on NCL for after my cruise. Despite the rules changing I still feel that I got very good value for my budget and I'm looking forward to our sailing.

I know that perhaps this first post of mine may ruffle some feathers and I'm okay with that because in the end I respect my fellow posters opinions agree or not and I'd like to think that I will have many great discussions about cruising in the future.

Congratulations on your booking :) As you will see, we have only ever cruised NCL, and are, and have always been, happy with what we get. Obviously, if we were not satisfied we would go elsewhere.

I agree with your comment about new cruisers being lumped into a category of not being bothered (my wording, don't want to risk being corrected for mis-quoting by one of the "veterans" ;)). It is a big decision to make about where to spend your money, and I am sure that most of us would be conducting a lot of research, which is ONGOING, after making a reservation. I for one know that I am constantly checking on pricing and offers for my cruises, to ensure the best possible value for us.

It is a big investment, and in your case, 28 passengers is a very big deal.

My understanding of all of this in the end is that if we received the UDP as a freebie package, then there will be no charge against us. If we purchased it before the changes, then there will be no charge against us. Notwithstanding all of the discussions of where it should be going, I believe that in those two instances, passengers will not be paying it.