Flights to San Juan (June 13th 2015)

I tried to do a search but i was finding post from many years ago.

I have a group of 4 people that need to get to San Juan in June.

So far, i've been finding flights around the $600 range.

Is there a better time to look for these or maybe a certain Airline someone has used before? Normally, all the cruises i have been on i was able to drive to, this one however; is the problem.

I see you are in High Point. You must be looking at flights out of Charlotte or Greensboro. I am flying to San Juan in October and I wound up making reservations to fly out of Atlanta. The air fare and even parking for the week was cheaper than flying from Charlotte. Booked Southwest for $328 round trip. :cool:

one piece of information would be to know where you are flying to. Since southwest airlines bought AirTran they have been doing very competitive rates to san juan but depending on where you are are coming from, southwest may not service that area.

I totally forgot to put that in there. Had every intention.

We will be flying from Greensboro, NC.

We do have GSO (technically, international but rates are higher), CLT (Charlotte), and RDU (Raleigh) which we could all be to within an hour.

I tried to do a search but i was finding post from many years ago.

Is there a better time to look for these or maybe a certain Airline someone has used before? Normally, all the cruises i have been on i was able to drive to, this one however; is the problem.

From my experience (which is only this one time) it appears that you can book cheap fares to San Juan 8 months ahead of time or more. Once you get close to the 6 month mark, the prices start to rise. For example, we booked our airfare from Denver to San Juan (for August) 8 months ahead in January, for $345 each round trip on American Airlines, with layovers in Dallas both ways. I've kept an eye on the airfare almost daily because I am trying to get other people to come along and keeping track of prices just in case, and after just 1 month the prices went up about $150 per person. Now, in March with 5 months before our trip, the cost for our same flight is $773 per person, more than double what it was less than 2 months ago. I imagine it will just get worse the closer we get to august.

Don't know if you booked direct with RC or not, but have you called to see prices through choice air?

I think you can get quote on RC webpage as well.

When we flew to San Juan Choice air was a little cheaper than what we could book it direct for. If there are four of you it will soon add up. Ps choice air get good one way rates and you can book two one ways with them.

Edited by Spurschick

I see you are in High Point. You must be looking at flights out of Charlotte or Greensboro. I am flying to San Juan in October and I wound up making reservations to fly out of Atlanta. The air fare and even parking for the week was cheaper than flying from Charlotte. Booked Southwest for $328 round trip. :cool:

Since you are looking to fly in June I think as others have said you probably should not hesitate and book flights now. Charlotte has some of the highest air fares in the country. It's a shame that I have to take the drive to Atlanta to catch a flight when I am right here in Charlotte. When I booked last month for October I thought I'd better do it at that time because it wasn't getting better after waiting for a while as it was. $600 is quite a bit. I hope you find something cheaper! :cool:

Prices go up and down constantly in response to supply and demand. As you are within a couple of months from your flight dates, remaining inventory is going to fill up quickly so you probably won't see prices drop.

When you search for airfare, are you entering 4 as the quantity of tickets needed in your search? If so, try booking 1 or 2 tickets at a time. Here's why:

Airlines have different fare buckets. There may only be one or two tickets available at the lowest fare bucket when you search. When you tell the search engine that you need 4 tickets, it doesn't offer you those one or two tickets at the lowest fare bucket + the rest of the tickets at the next higher priced fare bucket. Instead, it goes to the first available (more expensive) fare bucket that currently has at least 4 tickets available. Hence, frequently when people are searching for more than 1 or 2 tickets, they find higher prices than if they just search for 1 or 2. Yet, after buying the 1 or 2, you may find that the airline immediately releases another couple of tickets at the same price (no guarantee of course, but if frequently happens.) Worst case scenario, you get some tickets at a cheaper price and pay more for rest, but you might luck out and get them all at that cheapest rate if the airline immediately releases more in that fare bucket.

Note: If you buy them separately in this manner, you'll likely save money. BUT, just be aware that you'll be in 2 or more separate reservations, so if there are changes to the itinerary and the airline has to rebook you, the four of you may not be automatically rebooked on the same flight. So if there are minors in your party, just be sure to book each minor on a reservation with an adult in case that happens.