tvguy72

Whats your opinion  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your opinion

• Lights off
    • Lights on
    • Does not matter
    • Who cares

Lights off for me. You can sit in your room and look out at the sea and stars. Neighbors light on. You see all sorts of reflections. Very rude:p. If you don't need the lights for any reason then turn them off. It also conserves power, what little it may be.

I guess I can expect to read reviews when I come back from my cruise, about my balcony neighbors complaining that I was out on my balcony reading, with the light on at night, cause thats what I'll be doing most nights. :eek:

I don't think anybody has any problem with people who are actually on their balcony having the lights on.

Surely that's what the light is for.

I'm in both camps on this one. I like to see the stars, which is easier with other lights out. However, I like to see the waves and wake of the ship too (it's like staring at a campfire for me), people leaving their lights on helps illuminate around the ship.

Put me down as undecided.

I think what happens is people start pushing the light switches and don't realize they're turning on the balcony light. If they are doing it when they are first entering the cabin it will be daylight and will have no idea what they are turning on and it gets left on the whole time.

I would think the room steward would turn them off when he turns down the room at night and shuts the balcony curtains.

Harriet

:

I get up multiple times in the night to go to the bathroom and like to be able to see where I am going and not put on a bright light in the cabin and disturb my husband. For those leaving their curtains open, why don't they just close their curtains if the light bothers them:eek:??

You can keep the light on in the bathroom and keep the door slightly ajar....

or you can purchase battery operated tea lights and leave them in the bathroom.

Some like to keep their curtains open to see the moon, the sun rise in the morning, etc.

Harriet

If you notice the light is constantly on next door, talk to your room steward and see if they can be sure to turn it off during turn down service. if your neighbors turn it back on and leave it on without being out there then you can always ask them nicely if they could turn it off at night, when not in use, if you see them on the balcony.

Way to solve neighbor leaving balcony light on - Just have your cabin steward

when cleaning the neighbors cabin turn the light out. Problem solved with no

issues. The neighbors could turn it on again either accidentally or when they

use the balcony.

Fortunately the balcony lights have a translucent shading so it is not as if the

light is like on a searchlight on a rescue vessel - but in the dark of night at sea

it can be a problem for some who require the deep dark of Dracula least

they become creatures of the Black Lagoon ! LOL !

:

I get up multiple times in the night to go to the bathroom and like to be able to see where I am going and not put on a bright light in the cabin and disturb my husband. For those leaving their curtains open, why don't they just close their curtains if the light bothers them:eek:??

Just use the light on your cell phone.

There's a light on the balcony? Never noticed it! :)

I'm serious. While we haven't cruised as much as a lot of people on here, we always get a balcony cabin and spend a fair amount of time on the balcony. I've never noticed a light or thought to look for one!

Just use the light on your cell phone.

I never have a cell phone when I am on a cruise. The roaming charges are very expensive. I always turn off the balcony light as soon as it is light enough outside for me to see in the cabin. If I have a night light and plug it in on the outlet near the desk, I don't need to leave the balcony light on. I really don't like a pitch dark room - need some kind of light. There are some nights when there is no moon and no stars.

I never have a cell phone when I am on a cruise. The roaming charges are very expensive. I always turn off the balcony light as soon as it is light enough outside for me to see in the cabin. If I have a night light and plug it in on the outlet near the desk, I don't need to leave the balcony light on. I really don't like a pitch dark room - need some kind of light. There are some nights when there is no moon and no stars.

If you don't want to spring for a reasonably priced international phone plan, turn off roaming. Smart phone still can be used for night light, alarm clock, off-line maps and translator, Rick Steves audio guides, CBP Mobile Passport, gaming, the list goes on and on.

If you don't want to spring for a reasonably priced international phone plan, turn off roaming. Smart phone still can be used for night light, alarm clock, off-line maps and translator, Rick Steves audio guides, CBP Mobile Passport, gaming, the list goes on and on.

Not everyone has a smart phone (including me). We have a simple fifteen dollar a month cell that we use for emergency calls only. We are retired and always together.

Please lights out!

We keep the curtains open to be able to enjoy the star gazing as well as wake up as we are coming into port - it's like - there's land time to wake up and hit the balcony. It isn't uncommon for one of us to be on the balcony in the middle of the night just to see what is happening out there!

The last few times the neighbours have had their lights on for the whole cruise, it never occurred to me that maybe they didn't know they were on. Learn something new every day! :D

Not everyone has a smart phone (including me). We have a simple fifteen dollar a month cell that we use for emergency calls only. We are retired and always together.

So, how would someone get a hold of you in case of an emergency at home while you're on a cruise if you do not bring your phone or if it is not capable for international use?

So, how would someone get a hold of you in case of an emergency at home while you're on a cruise if you do not bring your phone or if it is not capable for international use?

I'm not even that old and I still remember what it was like to go on vacations before cell phones even existed. There is a phone in your room, in emergencies you can be reached on that and you can use that to make/return phone calls. Of the four cruises I've been on, I've only had a working cell phone on one of them and never had a problem. My family knew what ship I was on and could call the ship if they needed to reach me.

Edited by shapatack0

:

We bring along battery operated sensor lights. That way I can have one in the main part of the cabin situated on the floor so the light doesn't shine up to disturb either one of us when we need to get up during the night, and it creates a lighted pathway. I also put one on the floor under the bench in the bathroom, so that as soon as you open the door it comes on. Problem solved ;)

We always sleep with the curtains open to enjoy seeing the dawn arriving. And there is nothing quite like being able to stand on your balcony in darkness and see lights way off in the distance, other ships sailing by, and the stars and moonlight. All of those things are completely taken away by a balcony light next door to you.

We docked in Miami in the very very early hours one morning, and I was able to spend ages on our balcony watching the city wake up, along with all of the cute little black cats that live there. (Also saw an employee from the Port Authority come along with food and water for them. They greeted him like old friends :))

We have in the past mentioned a balcony light left on to our steward, and he turned it off when cleaning the other room. As has already been said on here, often-times people don't realise it is on, and have accidentally turned it on when first entering their room. It's so easy to do when ferreting around the area where the TV is, trying to sort out power points and re-charging plugs :p

That's probably a good thing for you because if you got an iphone or an iPad you would have so much access to info that you would be using the devices hours on end

It's like having every single bit of information known to man in the palm of your hand

Fwiw they are a great invention even with their faults

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships