Curious.... who is still going to add on an extra tip (bar or specialty)

Kenlorz

[quote name='punkincc']Not judging, really just trying to understand the logic by which some feel the need to tip on top of both DSC and 18%. Not talking about the occasional over and above situation, but evey time, every where? The bartenders have their 18%. They might get an extra $1 on occasion from me. I doubt they are very impressed with me;).

I do love to talk to crew members about home and family. I respect them for the sacrifices they make, but it has no impact on my tipping unless they have done something really special.

All staff are already compensated by a combination of salary plus some share of the DSC and or auto gratuities. I have already paid my "tip". I suspect that a good number of them are making what many in their home countries would consider dream money. There is no other explaination for them putting up with 6 or 9 months of 12 or 16 hour days, 7 days a week x years. Should I feel compelled to give them more for simply doing their jobs either adequately or well?[/QUOTE]Excuse me, making a statement like this is judging others: [B]Not sure "compassion and desire to make the crew happy" is really the underlying motive. I am not a psych major, but it seems to me to be more to pump the tipper themselves up ( see how generous and concerned for your welfare I am? [/B]). Maybe they do it because they can or they want to, it really should not matter to you or me, just like it shouldn't matter to anyone why you would tip the bartender., because that is your decision to do so, just as when they tip it is their decision.

I certainly understand that some love to talk with the crew, it is not my thing, I'm very pleasant (maybe that is why I've always gotten great service), but I certainly don't want to waste my Room Steward's precious time talking with him when he could be getting his work done and then have some downtime. For every 10 or 15 minutes that someone is talking with them, that is 10 or 15 minutes that they have to stay late to get their job done. Many feel differently than I do and that is okay.

I've never given an extra tip, because some just did their job. An example, on my last cruise, I went to Cagney's the first night and the next morning when I went to Moderno for breakfast, the servers called me by name and even brought me a soda because that is what I drank the night before. The next times I went to Cagney's for dinner, I didn't have to ask for a drink, I got it seconds after I was seated. That to me is going above and beyond. Some might expect this type of treatment, but I don't and am very grateful for it.

Bottom line is, it is really no one's business what someone else does with their money and I personally would feel quite disingenuous if I question what someone does with their money, because I don't want someone questioning me on what I do with mine.

[quote name='punkincc']

Exactly! And why only leave a couple bucks on the table? What is the point of tipping only the busser ( who is already getting a salary plus DSC ) when there are people working their butts off refilling those food bowls and getting none of this largesse. Do you reach through the lines and hand them each a buck? Exactly the reason for the DSC. It is impossible to tip everyone.

If someone thinks the DSC is insufficient, then why not just go down to guest services and add some additional so that it is maybe spread around a little to everyone.

I am really beginning to understand why NCL thought this 18% auto gratuity would be easy for NCL regulars to swallow.[/QUOTE]

Why does it concern you so much who and what I leave tips for? We have always left a tip in the buffet. Perhaps it is how we were raised, or where we raised - who knows. I never thought twice about it. However, that is [U][B]my[/B][/U] decision, and completely voluntary. I will never be told who and what I have to tip for, and you really should not care if I, or any else, tips extra. Edited by SissasMomE

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Excuse me, making a statement like this is judging others: [B]Not sure "compassion and desire to make the crew happy" is really the underlying motive. I am not a psych major, but it seems to me to be more to pump the tipper themselves up ( see how generous and concerned for your welfare I am? [/B]). Maybe they do it because they can or they want to, it really should not matter to you or me, just like it shouldn't matter to anyone why you would tip the bartender., because that is your decision to do so, just as when they tip it is their decision.

Bottom line is, it is really no one's business what someone else does with their money and I personally would feel quite disingenuous if I question what someone does with their money, because I don't want someone questioning me on what I do with mine.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an issue for Freud! Also, perfectly stated ;) I admit, I am a more than a little perplexed by the couple of posters who have a hard time understanding why we would tip in the buffet. :confused:

[quote name='Leavethekidswithmom']

We're not talking about Golden Corral here, it's the free buffet on a cruise ship and they don't even get your drinks for you. With that being said why is it such a problem if they force us to leave 18% at the specialty restaurants?[/QUOTE]

I have never stepped foot in a Golden Corral. Not my style. It's not a "free" buffet, I have paid for it in my fare. If you do not know the difference between a voluntary gratuity and a forced one, then i suspect it doesn't matter what anyone here says.

More concerning is why you feel the need to question what I and others decide to tip? Edited by SissasMomE

[quote name='SissasMomE']Why does it concern you so much who and what I leave tips for? We have always left a tip in the buffet. Perhaps it is how we were raised, or where we raised - who knows. I never thought twice about it. However, that is [U][B]my[/B][/U] decision, and completely voluntary. I will never be told who and what I have to tip for, and you really should not care if I, or any else, tips extra.[/QUOTE]

Well, the topic of this thread was will you or won't you now tip extra in light of the changes.

Anyone who posted a response one way or the other shouldn't be surprised if someone else wants to know their reasoning in coming to that conclusion. If you don't want to discuss your tipping habits then don't put them out here.

I gave a logical (IMO) argument for my decision of no extra tipping in most all situations. Is it too much to ask others to do the same? If someone is going to state an opinion, they really should be able to give a thoughtful explaination for coming to that conclusion. I would really like to know the logic behind leaving a $2 tip on a cruise ship buffet table. Maybe you have some insight I don't. Your only stated reason was "perhaps how we were raised-who knows" and "I never thought twice about it". Maybe it is time to "think twice about it" ;). Let's not give NCL any ideas about slipping in a "Buffet Service Charge" ( and actually cover everyone who makes the buffet run, not just the bus boys ).

[quote name='trex-de']Great stuff for a cold March day. I love all the comments: "judgmental", "Golden Corral", "buffet tipping", self righteous, cheap. Bring it on...[/QUOTE]

"Self Righteous, Cheap"? Did I miss something?? "Judgemental" is what you get called when you dare question someone's logic.

[quote name='punkincc']Well, the topic of this thread was will you or won't you now tip extra in light of the changes.

Anyone who posted a response one way or the other shouldn't be surprised if someone else wants to know their reasoning in coming to that conclusion. If you don't want to discuss your tipping habits then don't put them out here.

I gave a logical (IMO) argument for my decision of no extra tipping in most all situations. Is it too much to ask others to do the same? If someone is going to state an opinion, they really should be able to give a thoughtful explaination for coming to that conclusion. I would really like to know the logic behind leaving a $2 tip on a cruise ship buffet table. Maybe you have some insight I don't. Your only stated reason was "perhaps how we were raised-who knows" and "I never thought twice about it". [U]Maybe it is time to "think twice about it" ;). Let's not give NCL any ideas about slipping in a "Buffet Service Charge" ( and actually cover everyone who makes the buffet run, not just the bus boys )[/U].[/QUOTE]

Ha! I wonder if they've thought of that one ... wouldn't surprise me in the least :mad:

[quote name='SissasMomE']Ha! I wonder if they've thought of that one ... wouldn't surprise me in the least :mad:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure they got feedback that most passengers were leaving table tips in the specialties and just decided to make it official. Just as a "convenience to passengers" as they stated. Next it will be the Buffet.;). Y'all tipping anywhere else?

[quote name='punkincc']Yeah, I'm sure they got feedback that most passengers were leaving table tips in the specialties and just decided to make it official. Just as a "convenience to passengers" as they stated. Next it will be the Buffet.;). Y'all tipping anywhere else?[/QUOTE]

LOL Probably not ... :D

I for one have enjoyed the post as we are new to NCL and are usually a Sandals couple for just this reason, we know before hand how much we need to have money wise and not all these hidden charges or wondering on whom to tip extra or not. I did one cruise many years ago on RC and did not like it then because of all the extra cost and tips, but my wife really wanted to do another cruise and liked the idea of what NCL had to offer and right after we booked all of this changing on cost came out. I'm glad to hear others opinions not to make up my mind or to know others tipping practices but more that this is new to me and my wife and trying to figure out how much extra we need to budget for this trip. Again I know this is different then a AI vacation but that's why for the last 9 years I have done the AI instead of cruises but I'm willing to try NCL and judge for myself if this is something we would be Willing to continue doing or stay with the other type of vacation we have been doing. Thanks to everyone for at least putting your opinions out there for us new cruisers who honestly are a little lost with all the changes happing now.

[quote name='trex-de']We just finished Breaking Bad and am looking at Saul...but we digress. Let's get back to tipping. Much more drama.[/QUOTE]

If you mean "drama" as in " I'm going to state my opinion about tipping in general but I really don't want to but there's an ninja at my house holding a knife to my throat so I must respond to the thread..." then yes, I guess would be dramatic for anyone....

[quote name='Schierup1987']I for one have enjoyed the post as we are new to NCL and are usually a Sandals couple for just this reason, we know before hand how much we need to have money wise and not all these hidden charges or wondering on whom to tip extra or not. I did one cruise many years ago on RC and did not like it then because of all the extra cost and tips, but my wife really wanted to do another cruise and liked the idea of what NCL had to offer and right after we booked all of this changing on cost came out. I'm glad to hear others opinions not to make up my mind or to know others tipping practices but more that this is new to me and my wife and trying to figure out how much extra we need to budget for this trip. Again I know this is different then a AI vacation but that's why for the last 9 years I have done the AI instead of cruises but I'm willing to try NCL and judge for myself if this is something we would be Willing to continue doing or stay with the other type of vacation we have been doing. Thanks to everyone for at least putting your opinions out there for us new cruisers who honestly are a little lost with all the changes happing now.[/QUOTE]

Well, since everyone else seems to have gone for dinner....

You have not said which ship you booked. NCL a has great entertainment options, mostly free. Only the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape have any entertainment with a fee and that is only one dinner show on each ship. Plenty of other shows to see if you don't wish to pay extra. Of course, things like Bingo will have an additional fee just like any other cruise ships. NCL a has more choices in dining, including free dining venues. There are many Specialty venues for a small cover fee, well worth the charge, but many are happy with the included venues. An 18% auto grat has just been added, very controversial at the moment. Drinks will have an auto grat added just like any other ship. You can estimate your bar costs based on the drink prices and how much you usually drink.

You also did not say if you purchased or got free with the booking any of the Promo offers like included Dining Package (UDP) or Drinks Package (UBP) or if you purchased them. If purchased, any auto grats were included with the purchase price and you will not pay additional once on board. If you got them free, you still will not pay additional for the auto grats. No need to tip further for meals or drinks unless you feel the need.

The Daily Service Charge (unless you pre pay it) is added to your account daily and goes into an incentive pool for all staff like room stewards and servers and behind the scenes staff. You can tip additionally if you wish, but according to NCL it is not expected.

The food quality in in free dining rooms is very good. Lots of people don't spend an extra dime on the ship.