Curious.... who is still going to add on an extra tip (bar or specialty)

Kenlorz

For the past year I have been avidly devouring the NCL boards getting well researched for our upcoming cruise. One thing I have always noticed was the overwhelming willingness of people on this board to add on an extra tip for their bartender or their specialty restaurant server. With the auto gratuities now being 18% for both of these areas, I am curious who still plans to add on an extra tip? Maybe you fall into the "these are included perks for us, so we don't mind adding on a little extra" category or perhaps you fall into the "NO! 18% is enough" category.

Again... just curious where the opinion of the masses now lies.

I will take the same approach as I do when a land restaurant adds the gratuity in, which is that is all you get.

We are a family of 7 and it happens quite a bit on land with parties of 6 or more. Sucks for the server because we generally would leave more.

For the past year I have been avidly devouring the NCL boards getting well researched for our upcoming cruise. One thing I have always noticed was the overwhelming willingness of people on this board to add on an extra tip for their bartender or their specialty restaurant server. With the auto gratuities now being 18% for both of these areas, I am curious who still plans to add on an extra tip? Maybe you fall into the "these are included perks for us, so we don't mind adding on a little extra" category or perhaps you fall into the "NO! 18% is enough" category.

Again... just curious where the opinion of the masses now lies.

ALWAYS an extra cash tip--every time, every dinner, every drink--and the buffet. We are all paying thousands for a cruise--some gambling thousands too--these kids are on nine month contracts away from family working 10 hours a day. Show your love and understanding--they will return it tenfold with gratitude and those wonderful smiles. What NCL does for policy has NOTHING to do with them. Recent posts about outrage over the increase in the DSC and added tips have made me so sad--for the kids.

I will take the same approach as I do when a land restaurant adds the gratuity in, which is that is all you get.

We are a family of 7 and it happens quite a bit on land with parties of 6 or more. Sucks for the server because we generally would leave more.

Unfortunately you're taking it out on the wrong person in a land based restaurant. It's not the server that *wants* to add the auto gratuity. It's the restaurants policy.

Harriet

Pretty much this. No point in me paying additional tip on $30 per person meal that has 18% auto tip of $5.4 to make it about $40 (I normally tip $5 if my meal is under $30 anyway). If NCL want to play 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do' card - then no more, no less on my end.

The bartender, if he's really good at mixing drinks - I buy another drink from that person and add $1/2 on Sail Card or in cash. Otherwise, auto tip in especially for soda and beer.

Edited by maywell

Unfortunately you're taking it out on the wrong person in a land based restaurant. It's not the server that *wants* to add the auto gratuity. It's the restaurants policy.

Harriet

Sadly, I am changing my opinion on this -- at least with NCL. Big Brother NCL has decided that it knows how to tip better than the passenger... so, auto-grats for everyone!

It's no longer my problem to make sure NCL's employees are "taken care of" -- it's NCL's responsibility as a good world corporate neighbor to do so.

NCL is forcing my hand.

We "always" tip extra. I guess I would leave the tips as is unless I do get exceptional service.

On the Sky in January, when it came time for dessert, I was just too full. DH ordered dessert and when the server asked me what I wanted, I said, "Nothing for me." He brought me a plate with the words "Nothing for me" written in chocolate syrup. I was delighted. He would have to get an additional tip from me, even with the 18% added.

Again...just curious... it seems some say "no" to extra tipping of the server yet "yes" to extra tipping of the bartender. Both are getting 18% upfront. Why the bartender and not the server? The server will spend up to 2 hours for the $5 tip, but the bartender spends about 2 minutes for the extra $1 tip. Not saying either option is right or wrong. Just trying to understand the reason behind why 18% is the limit in one area, but not the other.

Again...just curious... it seems some say "no" to extra tipping of the server yet "yes" to extra tipping of the bartender. Both are getting 18% upfront. Why the bartender and not the server?

Because the "server" was previously included in the DSC (and still may be, who knows).

The bartenders were never included in the DSC.

Again...just curious... it seems some say "no" to extra tipping of the server yet "yes" to extra tipping of the bartender. Both are getting 18% upfront. Why the bartender and not the server? The server will spend up to 2 hours for the $5 tip, but the bartender spends about 2 minutes for the extra $1 tip. Not saying either option is right or wrong. Just trying to understand the reason behind why 18% is the limit in one area, but not the other.

....AND if he's a great bartender and doing a larger pour and making your drink the way YOU want it, he deserves the little extra. Some mention that they use the same bartender for the cruise as they get to know what you want and how you like it.

Because the "server" was previously included in the DSC (and still may be, who knows).

The bartenders were never included in the DSC.

This. The bartenders 'live or die' by their skills if no repeat customers come back. The server is cover by the DSC even if they are crummy with serving.

We "always" tip extra. I guess I would leave the tips as is unless I do get exceptional service.

On the Sky in January, when it came time for dessert, I was just too full. DH ordered dessert and when the server asked me what I wanted, I said, "Nothing for me." He brought me a plate with the words "Nothing for me" written in chocolate syrup. I was delighted. He would have to get an additional tip from me, even with the 18% added.

Love that story.

I'm gonna bring a roll of dimes.

I normally tip 20% So on a $10 dollar drink they add $1.80 and I leave $.20

same with the dinners.

I really don't mind tipping, even more than 20%, I just don't like it (at least feel like it) being forced down my throat.

Edited by Bases5

ALWAYS an extra cash tip--every time, every dinner, every drink--and the buffet. QUOTE]

Who do you tip at the buffet? The crew that cleans your table every time you go back to the buffet? The crew that are behind the stations making sure there is sufficient food of your choice?

Edited by pizzalady1

The same thing happened to me at the Teppanyaki restaurant. I was there a few nights before and when they came around with desserts on my second visit and I said nothing for me, I got the plate. It was a nice touch!

I will tip a little extra if the service is very good, bar and restaurant. I will continue to tip the steward. But I am withholding the DSC. I'm sorry if this punishes the wrong people, but maybe the staff will get so riled that THEY will force NCLs hand. Frankly I no longer trust NCL to use the DSC to reward its staff anyway. I'm beginning to believe that all they are doing is lining they're own pockets with it. I will continue to sail with NCL as long as I continue to enjoy their product. If the service goes down the tubes, as I'm afraid it might, then I will find somewhere else to spend my cruise dollars. NCL management had best mind their P's and Q's as much as they do their bottom line or they may find they don't have one anymore!:mad:

It will depend on the service. We've traditionally tipped extra in the specialty restaurants (~$5pp, including for our kid since for our past cruises DS1 was still free at any restaurant), knowing it was covered by the DSC, because service was usually extraordinary, not that it wasn't good at the MDRs, but in the smaller setting, it was often even more personalized. And the amount of attention my son would get from the servers was amazing. If that level of service continues, I wouldn't hesitate to tip. For our next cruise, we have the UDP as a bonus perk so we won't be charged the auto-grat, so we'll likely continue to tip. If we didn't have the UDP, they'd get the 18% auto, and extra for exceptional service. I also keep in mind that although the 18% is for the cover charge for my husband and I, they'd also be serving and cleaning up after 3 young children who don't get charged a cover because DS1 generally prefers the kids' menu and DS2 and DD will be 3 on our next cruise. When on land, we keep the same thing in mind - our total check often does not reflect the number of people the server took care of as the kids share our food, order less expensive kid portions, etc. We also often take advantage of discounts when we eat out (kids eat free nights are awesome when you've got 3 kids!) and tip on the pre-discount bill. Given their ages especially, they are a lot of work and I wouldn't dream of stiffing a good server who takes care of our family. When service is lousy though on land, they get a standard tip around 15-18%, and if it's exceedingly bad, we'll speak with a manager. I don't know how we'd handle it on a cruise only because I've never had bad service on any of the 5 cruises I've been on.