Curious.... who is still going to add on an extra tip (bar or specialty)

Kenlorz

[quote name='SissasMomE']Sandals Grenada is next on the list :D AND, I don't have to worry about tipping the butler. It's included. :cool:[/quote]

I've actually been to Sandals/Beaches a few times. Outside of the Butler, they won't even take a tip. They said they are not allowed to. You have to be creative if you want them to receive some cash!

[quote name='Debde']I've actually been to Sandals/Beaches a few times. Outside of the Butler, they won't even take a tip. They said they are not allowed to. You have to be creative if you want them to receive some cash![/QUOTE]

Yes, us too ... and you're right. They won't accept it. They can actually get fired for accepting it.

[quote name='punkincc']OK, Baby Boomer here! I don't like to comply with laws or rules which make no sense. Like when my state suddenly decided it made good sense to card every single bar and restaurant customer, even 85 year old ladies in wheelchairs before serving them a cocktail. If they don't have the good sense to take one look at my 60 something self and ascertain that I could not possibly be 20 years old, then I will dine without cocktails and boycot the bars. After a year or so of this nonsense and push back from customers, now only those who look like a possible twenty something get carded. No change ever happens if we are led around like sheep.

I am not convinced yet that I am going to comply with an 18% grat in a specialty, especially since NCL's policies always stressed that there was no need for tipping except at the passenger's discretion for exceptional or outstanding service. We were told that the DSC took care of this. And now they have increased the DSC and at the same time added an 18% auto grat to specialties. What happened to "no tipping required"? Depending on what if any clarification we get from NCL, I may not be frequenting the specialties or will be having the 18% removed. Perhaps if use of the specialties declines and/or they tire of the lines in guest services they will rethink this policy.

There was always an auto tip on the bar tabs as it was always clearly stated that the bar staff were not in the DSC pool. When the auto tip was 15% we still tipped $1 cash here and there as we felt it was to our benefit.;). Now that it is 18%, we will see.[/QUOTE]

My comment was sort of "tongue in cheek" but a little serious, too. It was aimed at those who insist that they should leave extra tips in spite of what NCL has instituted.

The result of complying with NCL's new charge would be a reduction in tips for the servers and should create a backlash from the employees who see the reduction. They are the people who can generate a change.

I have commented a couple of times that the ONLY reason NCL started this 18% charge in the specialties is that they have a dollar figure to attach it to. They can't do this in the other dining venues because they don't have that figure to apply. You can bet if they ever start charging for the other venues, they will also tack on the 18%

[quote name='swedish weave'] You can bet if they ever start charging for the other venues, they will also tack on the 18%[/QUOTE]

Shhhh, don't talk to loud. They still charge for bowling, Carlos Bakery, Coffee, Ocean Blue waterfront, etc. etc. etc.

Harriet

[quote name='Debde']I've actually been to Sandals/Beaches a few times. Outside of the Butler, they won't even take a tip. They said they are not allowed to. You have to be creative if you want them to receive some cash![/QUOTE]

This is what confuses me about all the people who apparently like to sprinkle money all over the ship despite being told that the DSC takes care of this and nothing further is expected. ( Probably the same people trying to tip at the all inclusive land resorts. ) On NCL you essentially had what nearly amounted to an all inclusive experience unless you chose to add on activities like specialties with cover charges, etc.

Maybe NCL figured that if everyone insisted on tipping regardless, even for standard service covered by the DSC, they might as well just add the 18% "as a convenience". Our tipping culture in this country is really out of control, IMO. Everywhere you go, there is a tip jar in your face.

[quote name='punkincc']This is what confuses me about all the people who apparently like to sprinkle money all over the ship despite being told that the DSC takes care of this and nothing further is expected. ( Probably the same people trying to tip at the all inclusive land resorts. ) On NCL you essentially had what nearly amounted to an all inclusive experience unless you chose to add on activities like specialties with cover charges, etc.

Maybe NCL figured that if everyone insisted on tipping regardless, even for standard service covered by the DSC, they might as well just add the 18% "as a convenience". Our tipping culture in this country is really out of control, IMO. Everywhere you go, there is a tip jar in your face.[/quote]

Oh-I admit-guilty as charged.:o That's when I figured it out and got the whole AI concept but I don't consider a cruise line anything like an AI resort. Two different products so I treat tipping on a cruise line vacation the way I feel comfortable. I'm sure some won't agree with my way but I feel comfortable with it!!

I'm sure SOME of the "over-tippers" do it completely out of compassion and desire to make crew happy.

But, as evidenced by numerous posts on this and similar threads, there's another side to over-tipping and that is much more about self-interest.

1) To get better/faster service. In the zero-sum game of attracting a server's attention, getting faster service necessarily means somebody else is getting slower.

2) To get more "generous pours." At least this motive doesn't impact others directly, now you're just in collusion with the server to screw the corporation. No problem with that :) but to the extent that it contributes to slower service for others (point #1), not so good. And depending on how strict inventory control is, more generous pours for some may well mean less generous pours for others.

I've bern to Beaches and Sandals. Yes, no tipping, but cruising is SO much cheaper! I do find it odd that they added the 18% to the specialty restaurants, since those servers are in the DSC. The extra 3% to the bartenders is okay with me. I'll probably still tip extra, just for selfish reasons.

I'm surprised they didn't just increase the cost of specialty dining.

[quote name='mjkacmom']I've bern to Beaches and Sandals. Yes, no tipping, but cruising is SO much cheaper! .[/quote]

Actually, it probably warrants a whole other thread but with the prices of some of these new mega ships and having so many things be an extra fee, and deals that can be found with many AI resorts-that is probably not the case anymore all the time.
What an AI resort can offer and some are even doing airfare deals, some are closing in rapidly as an affordable vacation. And not these two bit low rate resorts either.
food for thought...........;) Edited by Debde

[quote name='sundercruiser']I'm sure SOME of the "over-tippers" do it completely out of compassion and desire to make crew happy.

But, as evidenced by numerous posts on this and similar threads, there's another side to over-tipping and that is much more about self-interest.

1) To get better/faster service. In the zero-sum game of attracting a server's attention, getting faster service necessarily means somebody else is getting slower.

2) To get more "generous pours." At least this motive doesn't impact others directly, now you're just in collusion with the server to screw the corporation. No problem with that :) but to the extent that it contributes to slower service for others (point #1), not so good. And depending on how strict inventory control is, more generous pours for some may well mean less generous pours for okthers.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what motivates the "over tippers" who I would classify as those who tip in places where they have been told the Daily Service Charge takes care of this. Not sure "compassion and desire to make the crew happy" is really the underlying motive. I am not a psych major, but it seems to me to be more to pump the tipper themselves up ( see how generous and concerned for your welfare I am? ) than out of a need to see that the person is appropriately compensated. The DSC already took care of that.

A bartender who serves more drinks will accrue more tips, through both the 18% and cash. They have a big incentive to serve anyone at the bar., and as quickly as possible. I don't see that they have any incentive to move slower or serve fewer people. If a bartender works hard to create a fantastic Jalepino Cucumber Mojito for me, and he is not chintzy with the alcohol, he is deserving of a cash tip. If he just hands me a beer, the 18% will probably suffice.

And I don't think decent pours screw the corporation. It should be a given for every drink they mix. There have been a few reports lately of very weak drinks which makes me wonder if NCL is trying to save a buck on these UBP giveaways. Now if that is the case, who is screwing who? Recently in a resort area I was charged $14 for a martini which was like drinking Kool Aid. Everything I ordered was weak. They will never get my business again.

Bartenders are not dumb. They know good service and a good poor will earn them an extra tip. And if NCL had not given away the store with these freebies, they would be making a good buck off those of us who drink. Edited by punkincc

[quote name='Ericktina']ALWAYS an extra cash tip--every time, every dinner, every drink--and the buffet. We are all paying thousands for a cruise--some gambling thousands too--these kids are on nine month contracts away from family working 10 hours a day. Show your love and understanding--they will return it tenfold with gratitude and those wonderful smiles. What NCL does for policy has NOTHING to do with them. Recent posts about outrage over the increase in the DSC and added tips have made me so sad--for the kids.[/QUOTE]
Who says they're all kids?
And who says they don't provide handsomely for their families back home?
This is a choice they make to earn a good living, or perhaps just see the world.
Before anybody gets all indignant let me say father and husband both military, long TDY's.

So, no, I do not plan to tip extra.

[quote name='punkincc']I am not sure what motivates the "over tippers" who I would classify as those who tip in places where they have been told the Daily Service Charge takes care of this. [B]Not sure "compassion and desire to make the crew happy" is really the underlying motive. I am not a psych major, but it seems to me to be more to pump the tipper themselves up ( see how generous and concerned for your welfare I am? )[/B] than out of a need to see that the person is appropriately compensated. The DSC already took care of that.

A bartender who serves more drinks will accrue more tips, through both the 18% and cash. They have a big incentive to serve anyone at the bar., and as quickly as possible. I don't see that they have any incentive to move slower or serve fewer people. [B][COLOR="Red"]If a bartender works hard to create a fantastic Jalepino Cucumber Mojito for me, and he is not chintzy with the alcohol, he is deserving of a cash tip.[/COLOR] [/B] If he just hands me a beer, the 18% will probably suffice.

[/QUOTE]Think you might be right for some: [B][I]Not sure "compassion and desire to make the crew happy" is really the underlying motive. I am not a psych major, but it seems to me to be more to pump the tipper themselves up ( see how generous and concerned for your welfare I am?)[/I][/B].

Some of us just reward for great service, seems like you do this too or is it you want to seem like a big tipper to the bartender. Don't judge!

BTW, I don't really care where a crew member is from, how many children they have, who they are supporting, etc., but if the service is great, I will tip, whether they get the DSC or an 18% added gratuity. But that is just me. Edited by NLH Arizona

[quote name='Medtech2']Who says they're all kids?
And who says they don't provide handsomely for their families back home?
This is a choice they make to earn a good living, or perhaps just see the world.
Before anybody gets all indignant let me say father and husband both military, long TDY's.

So, no, I do not plan to tip extra.[/QUOTE]

These arguments always bother me as well. Everyone chooses their own career. I never understood the "poor them" argument. Edited by SissasMomE

[quote name='SissasMomE'][quote name='pizzalady1']

We always leave a few dollars on the table in the buffet when we leave.[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with most of your posts, but, sorry, I still don't get this. It seems that the first cleanup person to clean the table for the next batch of cruisers gets to grab it and keep it. Do they pool tips in the buffet--not that I know of. What about the others that pickup your dirty dishes when you go back for more, and those that make sure all the food (and bacon :D) is available at the buffet? What about the chef at breakfast who makes the to-order eggs? Edited by pizzalady1

I seem to recall on our honeymoon cruise years ago before "auto DSC", the cruise line would publish typical gratuities for staff. I believe they also had envelopes ready for tipping. That was accepted at the time.

We took a 10 year break from cruising. Upon returning and after a couple of cruises, the auto DSC kicked in. It felt weird. We liked to personally thank primarily the stewards and wait staff. If I remember, we would give a bit more than suggested for good service (and when do you not get good service). Now, I don't know what their "share" of the DSC is. It seems to now be part of their total compensation - much like servers in Europe. So, I struggle with wanting to thank them personally with "a little extra" and wonder if my extra was to "little." I guess the cruise lines had to implement the auto DSC policy to avoid staff getting stiffed.

I find it interesting to read about others' methods of tipping. I have to admit, I have never seen cash left on a buffet table for the staff.

[quote name='trex-de']

I find it interesting to read about others' methods of tipping. I have to admit, I have never seen cash left on a buffet table for the staff.[/quote]
The wife and I always leave a $1 a piece at the buffets.

[quote name='pizzalady1'][quote name='SissasMomE']

I usually agree with most of your posts, but, sorry, I still don't get this. It seems that the first cleanup person to clean the table for the next batch of cruisers gets to grab it and keep it. Do they pool tips in the buffet--not that I know of. What about the others that pickup your dirty dishes when you go back for more, and those that make sure all the food (and bacon :D) is available at the buffet? What about the chef at breakfast who makes the to-order eggs?[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand what you are asking me. If someone is cleaning my dirty dishes, I'm leaving them a tip. Simple. I have no idea what they do and don't pool, nor do I care .... we have always left money on the table when in a buffet, cruise or no.

[quote name='SissasMomE'][quote name='pizzalady1']

Not sure I understand what you are asking me. If someone is cleaning my dirty dishes, I'm leaving them a tip. Simple. I have no idea what they do and don't pool, nor do I care .... we have always left money on the table when in a buffet, cruise or no.[/QUOTE]

We're not talking about Golden Corral here, it's the free buffet on a cruise ship and they don't even get your drinks for you. With that being said why is it such a problem if they force us to leave 18% at the specialty restaurants?

Everyone who does your dish has been paid for it its his job.i work for an airline and all our cabin crews give you water food etc do you tip them as well?do you tip the pilot because he did a nice landing???do you tip the bag handlers because they put your bag on the cargo compartment????all these people do sth which is called a job and they are getting paid for it...in my country which is in europe if you try to tip a taxi driver most of the times he is not going to get your tip he is going to be offended actually because he is already being paid for bringing you to a place!!

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Some of us just reward for great service, seems like you do this too or is it you want to seem like a big tipper to the bartender. Don't judge!

BTW, I don't really care where a crew member is from, how many children they have, who they are supporting, etc., but if the service is great, I will tip, whether they get the DSC or an 18% added gratuity. But that is just me.[/QUOTE]

Not judging, really just trying to understand the logic by which some feel the need to tip on top of both DSC and 18%. Not talking about the occasional over and above situation, but evey time, every where? The bartenders have their 18%. They might get an extra $1 on occasion from me. I doubt they are very impressed with me;).

I do love to talk to crew members about home and family. I respect them for the sacrifices they make, but it has no impact on my tipping unless they have done something really special.

All staff are already compensated by a combination of salary plus some share of the DSC and or auto gratuities. I have already paid my "tip". I suspect that a good number of them are making what many in their home countries would consider dream money. There is no other explaination for them putting up with 6 or 9 months of 12 or 16 hour days, 7 days a week x years. Should I feel compelled to give them more for simply doing their jobs either adequately or well?

Thats the point exactly these guys love their jobs they are paid for it and do not demand or need more tips..when we pay a cruise we cover their salary as well then we pay dsc which is their tips thats why i am never going to tip more than that unless i see sth extrordinary from a staff and when this happens i wont tip in cash..i will make a vacation hero card for this crew recognizing his attitude and his assets to the company itself..believe me thats going to be way better for the crew instead of just tipping him 10 or 20 usd

[quote name='Leavethekidswithmom'][quote name='SissasMomE']

We're not talking about Golden Corral here, it's the free buffet on a cruise ship and they don't even get your drinks for you. With that being said why is it such a problem if they force us to leave 18% at the specialty restaurants?[/QUOTE]

Exactly! And why only leave a couple bucks on the table? What is the point of tipping only the busser ( who is already getting a salary plus DSC ) when there are people working their butts off refilling those food bowls and getting none of this largesse. Do you reach through the lines and hand them each a buck? Exactly the reason for the DSC. It is impossible to tip everyone.

If someone thinks the DSC is insufficient, then why not just go down to guest services and add some additional so that it is maybe spread around a little to everyone.

I am really beginning to understand why NCL thought this 18% auto gratuity would be easy for NCL regulars to swallow.