Curious.... who is still going to add on an extra tip (bar or specialty)

Kenlorz

I'm gonna bring a roll of dimes.

I normally tip 20% So on a $10 dollar drink they add $1.80 and I leave $.20

same with the dinners.

I really don't mind tipping, even more than 20%, I just don't like it (at least feel like it) being forced down my throat.

I agree with you. I don't mind tipping, just not being forced to.

I agree with you. I don't mind tipping, just not being forced to.
But aren't you already being forced to pay the 18 percent to the bar servers? Doesn't matter if they are included in the DSC or not, the operative word is forced. Same goes for spa treatments, 18 percent is automatically added. Edited by NLH Arizona

I just checked the web site, and nowhere does it say that Specialty Servers are not on the

DSC.

It did mention, however, that Salon and spa services have an 18% gratuity or service charge added. Bar servers also.

They recommend that you tip your butler, conscierge, child care staff commensurate with the service they provide.

I have always done that when I was in a suite.

We don't utilize the spa or child care, so that is NA to us.

As others have stated, vote with your wallet, and avoid the specialties if you disapprove of the new policies.

It did mention, however, that Salon and spa services have an 18% gratuity or service charge added. Bar servers also.

Exactly my point, you are forced to pay the 18% gratuity for bar servers and the spa. You said you don't mind tipping, just not being forced to.

But aren't you already being forced to pay the 18 percent to the bar servers? Doesn't matter if they are included in the DSC or not, the operative word is forced. Same goes for spa treatments, 18 percent is automatically added.

That's different, they are not part of the DSC, and I always tip them on ship and land.

I don't use onboard spa services so that's NA for me.

That's different, they are not part of the DSC, and I always tip them on ship and land.

I don't use onboard spa services so that's NA for me.

And no one knows 100% if the specialty restaurant servers are still part of the DSC since this change - it is all conjecture by some and until NCL lets us know, we won't know one way or another.

And no one knows 100% if the specialty restaurant servers are still part of the DSC since this change - it is all conjecture by some and until NCL lets us know, we won't know one way or another.

Not conjecture. The terms of service are very clear that servers are included in the DSC. YOU are making assumptions that fly right in the face of printed fact. Ignoring the truth and repeating over and over that they are not included in the DSC when it states VERY VERY clearly that they are is mindlessness.

When it is written in black and white that servers ARE included on the NCL site how in the world can you possibly continue to deny facts.

It seems to me that you think if you just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over the facts will change. That is not how the world works. You either work for NCL or you have some other issue that is preventing any form of logical thinking. COUNTLESS people now on multiple thread have gone over this with you. Ignoring facts is ignorance. Stop trying to cloud the issue with this....

6&8

Not conjecture. The terms of service are very clear that servers are included in the DSC. YOU are making assumptions that fly right in the face of printed fact. Ignoring the truth and repeating over and over that they are not included in the DSC when it states VERY VERY clearly that they are is mindlessness.

When it is written in black and white that servers ARE included on the NCL site how in the world can you possibly continue to deny facts.

It seems to me that you think if you just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over the facts will change. That is not how the world works. You either work for NCL or you have some other issue that is preventing any form of logical thinking. COUNTLESS people now on multiple thread have gone over this with you. Ignoring facts is ignorance. Stop trying to cloud the issue with this....

6&8

And you are making assumptions. At least I called NCL and asked the question and I'm satisfied with their answer until someone proves 100 percent that NCL lied, instead of all this conjecture.

And you continue to repeat over and over that they are not, you have no idea, since the website has not been updated. Take a look at it, where does it say in the gratuities section that there is a 18 percent gratuity for restaurant servers, it doesn't because it hasn't been updated. So you have no facts.

Yes, ignoring facts is ignorance and until we have the FACTS, well I'll leave it at that. And since you brought ignoring, I'll do that to you.

Edited by NLH Arizona

And you are making assumptions. At least I called NCL and asked the question and I'm satisfied with their answer until someone proves 100 percent that NCL lied, instead of all this conjecture.

And you continue to repeat over and over that they are not, you have no idea, since the website has not been updated. Take a look at it, where does it say in the gratuities section that there is a 18 percent gratuity for restaurant servers, it doesn't because it hasn't been updated. So you have no facts.

Yes, ignoring facts is ignorance and until we have the FACTS, well I'll leave it at that. And since you brought ignoring, I'll do that to you.

I am reading the Terms of Service from NCL on the site FROM CORPORATE. That is NOT an assumption. That is looking at all the facts provided by the company and CORRECTLY comprehending them. Perhaps you need to look up the definition of assumption because I do not think it means what you think it does. You basing your very vocal assumption on a "call" to a rep (who are WELL KNOWN for giving out false information) is silly at best.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

I didn't always tip extra at specialty restaurants anyway since sometimes the service was crappy. Now I will just leave it up to the auto-gratuity should I choose to eat in any again. I don't plan to give this even 5 seconds more thought. It really isn't worth it.

wow,I guess everyone has different experiences with specialty dining, but we have rarely had crappy (as you put it) service. We did have just fair service at Cagney's last time; there were 8 of us and I think the waiter would have been happier if there were only about 4 of us. We got questionable service on the same ship in Modernos and one time Le Bistro was not that swift. Other than that, 17 NCL cruises, all since Le Bistro was introduced and we have always had fantastic service. I can't say the same about a few other cruise lines alt dining.

wow,I guess everyone has different experiences with specialty dining, but we have rarely had crappy (as you put it) service. We did have just fair service at Cagney's last time; there were 8 of us and I think the waiter would have been happier if there were only about 4 of us. We got questionable service on the same ship in Modernos and one time Le Bistro was not that swift. Other than that, 17 NCL cruises, all since Le Bistro was introduced and we have always had fantastic service. I can't say the same about a few other cruise lines alt dining.

We have always had above and beyond service at Le Bistro, the other restaurants the service has been good but definitely not excellent.

The last cruise we went on the waitress at Le Bistro was so above and beyond in her treatment of us. We ordered the two person beef dish--I can't remember what it is called, just that its a meal for 2 and a 10 dollar up charge on the cover charge for both people. In addition, our waitress brought us out an additional entree to share(it was some sort of fish stew--Delicious!!)We had ordered the beef medium but it came out quite rare. We didn't complain and ate it, because things could be worse than not getting your meat cooked exactly to your liking. When she brought out the check she told us that she had talked to her manager and had the $20 removed from our bill because she knew it was not how we requested it cooked! Because of this we decided to give her a $20 cash tip.

Anyway, I know this is long and rambly, but my point is that sometimes the staff really cares and pays attention, and I believe in cases like this they deserve to be tipped. So, when we go on our cruise in May, we may be giving less cash tips due to the increase but it does not mean we will completely stop giving tips depending on the service.

I am reading the Terms of Service from NCL on the site FROM CORPORATE. That is NOT an assumption.

That is looking at all the facts provided by the company and CORRECTLY comprehending them. Perhaps you need to look up the definition of assumption because I do not think it means what you think it does. You basing your very vocal assumption on a "call" to a rep (who are WELL KNOWN for giving out false information) is silly at best.

6&8

Just to reiterate...

My TA spoke with NCL this morning and they said that when you purchase the ultimate dining package they automatically add an 18% service charge to the reservation.

It will be charged in advance when the package is purchased not at the end of the meal.

Just to reiterate...

My TA spoke with NCL this morning and they said that when you purchase the ultimate dining package they automatically add an 18% service charge to the reservation.

It will be charged in advance when the package is purchased not at the end of the meal.

I was told those without the UDP, will be charged at the end of the meal when they get their check to charge the meal to their shipboard account and yes, only those who purchase an UDP will be charge when they purchase their package.

At the risk of sounding snarky it's really none of anyone's business whether or not I tip the mandatory amount, tip less or even tip more. That's each individuals personal decision.

I couldn't imagine walking up to someone on a ship and saying "hey, how much do you tip". I wouldn't do it on a forum either.

Tip what you want and think is appropriate. Don't worry about what other people do.

Again, not trying to sound snarky.

I totally agree with you!

Actually uses the words; "Staff members including restaurant staff..."For me that whole sentence is nebulous at best, semantically put so as not to really "define" who is and who isn't...

I have determined for myself and my wife that the DSC' do in fact cover everybody but the butler, the concierge, spas and child care...( the last 2 do not apply...)So I am good to go, will "tip" as per the service we receive without hesitation...Good service, good "gratuities"...

Thank you all for clearing things up for me, being a first time suite cruiser is so much more than I expected...I'm sure by the time we "sail" next year, things will have become much clearer regarding, both "tips and gratuities"...

Rob

6&8

In all fairness, where does it indicate on the NCL website that an 18% gratuity will be added to the Specialty Dining except in perhaps a *fine print at the bottom of terms and conditions for a package. I don't believe it does. So I guess it therefore isn't a fact?

And now that an 18% auto "gratuity" is added to specialty dining, why does NCL's website still say this about "tipping", "there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships". Obviously this is false.

And if Specialty Servers ARE still in the DSC, inquiring minds are trying to make sense of why they would now be double dipping with the new 18% added. It would be logical to assume that they would now be removed from the DSC pool now that they are adding an 18%, the same as Bar Staff are NOT in DSC as an 18% auto gratuity is added.

You are quick to point out that no one in NCL customer service has correct answer, but you seem to assume the website is infallible, which is laughable. The NCL website is legendary in how ace they are in keeping the site updated with the correct information.:rolleyes:. They can take months to correct a glaring error. Just ask the poor folks trying to book suites on the POA a while back. That was a fiasco.

So lighten up a little. We are all just talking out loud and trying to figure this out.

Edited by punkincc

In all fairness, where does it indicate on the NCL website that an 18% gratuity will be added to the Specialty Dining except in perhaps a *fine print at the bottom of terms and conditions for a package. I don't believe it does. So I guess it therefore isn't a fact?

And now that an 18% auto "gratuity" is added to specialty dining, why does NCL's website still say this about "tipping", "there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships". Obviously this is false.

And if Specialty Servers ARE still in the DSC, inquiring minds are trying to make sense of why they would now be double dipping with the new 18% added. It would be logical to assume that they would now be removed from the DSC pool now that they are adding an 18%, the same as Bar Staff are NOT in DSC as an 18% auto gratuity is added.

You are quick to point out that no one in NCL customer service has correct answer, but you seem to assume the website is infallible, which is laughable. The NCL website is legendary in how ace they are in keeping the site updated with the correct information.:rolleyes:. They can take months to correct a glaring error. Just ask the poor folks trying to book suites on the POA a while back. That was a fiasco.

So lighten up a little. We are all just talking out loud and trying to figure this out.

I thought that was laughable last night when I was looking at the website-no required or recommended tipping. They really need to figure out where they stand on this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I am completely (almost) confused on the '18%' specialty Tip - What is that based on? The value of the meal? The cover charge? The value of the UDP/7? The value of the free UDP? I usually tip $5 for breakfast and lunch, and $10 for dunner, so I'll have to see what they are taking now. That said, I will tip the difference, as most. For drinks - I usiual have bottle service, so a dollar here and there for a clean glass is about it. Not with the (free) UBP, I'll remain on the fence for a while, but would tend to say nothing extra unless I get extra.

For the past year I have been avidly devouring the NCL boards getting well researched for our upcoming cruise. One thing I have always noticed was the overwhelming willingness of people on this board to add on an extra tip for their bartender or their specialty restaurant server. With the auto gratuities now being 18% for both of these areas, I am curious who still plans to add on an extra tip? Maybe you fall into the "these are included perks for us, so we don't mind adding on a little extra" category or perhaps you fall into the "NO! 18% is enough" category.

Again... just curious where the opinion of the masses now lies.

We always tip extra

IMO this is not clear to customers at all; I respect your opinion but I ask that you not to be impolite and reprimand someone for their post. This is how your post is coming across.

The website says one thing, which means it is in writing vs someone just saying they talked to someone; having it in writing is more credible than hearsay. Any one would believe that; it is certainly more credible in the legal arena.

The problem is that the cruise contracts appear to say that NCL can do what they want even though it may be contradictory what is in writing on their website.

IMO this is poor customer service, which happens often. There is no reason a large corporation cannot have a decent website for their customers since they often send customers to it for information.

Happy cruising all!! :D

IMO this is poor customer service, which happens often. There is no reason a large corporation cannot have a decent website for their customers since they often send customers to it for information.

Happy cruising all!! :D

You are so correct that there is no reason why a large corporation cannot have a decent website. If you see below, you will noticed that no where in the gratuities section does it mention the automatic gratuity to the specialty restaurant servers, but has been updated to reflect the recently upped to 18% gratuity for the bar servers. This should have been updated the day that the change came into effect. They also updated the new price on the UDP info on the website. You've got to wonder if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Coming from the corporate world myself, there is no excuse for not updating a company's website, since it is one way that their customers get information about their policies.

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, Pride of America has a service charge of 18% for all spa and salon services, and all other ships have an automatic gratuity of 18% for all spa and salon services and 18% for beverage service.