DCL: When, and how, to buy ?

Loueloui

Hi All,

The family and I are planning to go on a Disney cruise sometime later this year to possibly as far as late next year. Our plans are still long term, and our dates are fairly flexible.

We've been on several cruises before, but never on DCL. Besides being a bit pricier, there also don't seem to be many discounts to had with DCL, as compared to other cruise lines. We are all Florida residents, and I am former military (not retired), but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I've done some research into the pricing, and from all accounts it looks like the best bang for your proverbial buck is gotten by buying when the dates first go on sale. Is there some type of schedule, or rhyme or reason when this happens?

Also, someone had suggested using a travel agent to book our cruise. I've not used one in years. Would it be worthwhile to seek one out?

Thanks!

A good TA can be worth his/her weight in gold. A bad one is a pain in the .....I have a great one, but we are not allowed to name agents or agencies on this site.

As to discounts, there are currently FL res rates and *GT rates available on select cruises thru June 2015. More cruises may be added with discounts depending on how the ships are filling.

New dates and rates are supposed to be released sometime this week (per DCL ad on Facebook and a notice from my TA). Keep watching!

We booked our upcoming Disney cruise for this October last May when the dates were released. I booked on the first date available (to the general public, as I am not Gold or Platnium.) and we got a very reasonable rate. The price is now 2.5 times higher than when we booked!! I would never pay the current rate, too rich for my blood, but it also a very limited number of cruise sailing from San Diego, so with the limited supply the price has skyrocketed it seems.

Disney increases the rates as the sailing date approaches.

Well, actually DCL increases the rates as the space fills. Not just because it's closer to sailing date. There are cruises that the prices hardly increase at all. And others where the prices rise dramatically within days (if not hours).

Disney increases the rates as the sailing date approaches.

Not so. DCL increases prices as the ship fills. We've been on cruises where the price on the day she sailed was the same as the price on day 1. We've also been on cruises where the price near the sailing date was 2 1/2 times what we booked it for. It just depends on how popular a cruise it turns out to be.

Those cruises that do not sell well will see discounts available to various groups (FL res, CM, military, Canadian residents) or to all (*GT). These are typically close to the "day 1" rates, but we've seen them lower than day 1 occasionally. They usually become available after the "penalty date."

I don't know about a regular schedule, but Disney has announced on their DCL Facebook page that the summer 2016 cruises will be announced sometime this week.

Great! Thank you Pris. This was exactly what I was looking for. I will have to start checking their FB Page. Kudos to you.

Demand based pricing can be a pain in the buns if you're not prepared out of the gate.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice. There's some fine suggestions I'm sure will help out a bunch.

A good TA can be worth his/her weight in gold. A bad one is a pain in the .....I have a great one' date=' but we are not allowed to name agents or agencies on this site.

As to discounts, there are currently FL res rates and *GT rates available on select cruises thru June 2015. More cruises may be added with discounts depending on how the ships are filling.

New dates and rates are supposed to be released sometime this week (per DCL ad on Facebook and a notice from my TA). Keep watching![/quote']

Where do you see the discounted rates thru June 2015. I only see FL res or GT rates for cruises no later than the 5/9 sailing on the Fantasy....nothing later than that currently? If you have seen later dates somewhere else please let me know. - Thank you