Viking not the best? Who Says?

mozfoz

As an ocean cruiser researching my first river cruise, I appreciate this discussion immensely!

DH and I (mid 50's with 2 DD's in college) are looking to travel in September 2015 (Bucharest-Nurmemburg-Prague) with my MIL and her sister.

Our wants/needs are very different and I'm having brain-meld trying to compare all the cruise lines and inclusions/options.

It's my understanding that you are in port all day and sail at night. If this is generally true - then I would be okay with a window cabin or french balcony.

I also can't see spending $$ on all-inclusive beverages if you're truely only going to be on board just for dinner and evening activities.

I should point out we did by the all-inclusive drink package on our last Princess cruise, but with sea days we definitely got our monies worth on that option.

My MIL loves the butler option on Scenic, but I can't see spending extra $$ for butlers, non-pedal bikes or garment pressing (did I mention 2 college tuitions?!?!)

I like the idea of a variety of included shore excursion options, however, I could also be comfortable with just going onshore and exploring on our own.

I read the CC comparison pdf of river cruise lines to hotel chains and ocean cruise lines...very helpful!

I've started a spreadsheet to compare cruise lines/cabin types/pricing/all inclusive...but guess now I have to go back and add fields types/inclusions of shore excursions/gratuities/splash pools/alternate dining venues etc.

Bottom line....please keep describing your experiences and features of each cruise line as they are helping me to complete my spreadsheet!

It's my understanding that you are in port all day and sail at night. If this is generally true - then I would be okay with a window cabin or french balcony.

Actually, it depends on the itinerary. Read the day-to-day listing closely. They will say things like "cruise through the morning" - or "arrive after lunch" - or "spend some extra time on shore as we don't sail until the evening...." as an indication of your time in port.

I like the idea of a variety of included shore excursion options, however, I could also be comfortable with just going onshore and exploring on our own.

Bottom line....please keep describing your experiences and features of each cruise line as they are helping me to complete my spreadsheet!

Every line pretty much includes "basic" daily excursions. Some (such as Scenic) include multiple options in your package - while most will offer some "optionals" (meaning you pay extra if you want to go....)

All inclusive is more than just the alcohol. It usually includes gratuities as well. So - you should include all of that in your spread sheet. And, all lines usually include wine at dinner, and most at lunch as well.

Read the inclusions closely, and compare prices as well.

For example, our last trip on the Danube was with Scenic. Most of their cabins have full balconies, and the lowest category cabins (aka Aquarium class) don't usually sell as well - so you can often get a sale on them. We got a sale with Scenic - from Budapest to Nuremberg (we didn't go to Prague, as we had been there before) that resulted in our "all inclusive trip" costing less than $200 more than other lines that were not all inclusive. Add on Prague, and the cost jumps.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

As an ocean cruiser researching my first river cruise, I appreciate this discussion immensely!

DH and I (mid 50's with 2 DD's in college) are looking to travel in September 2015 (Bucharest-Nurmemburg-Prague) with my MIL and her sister.

Our wants/needs are very different and I'm having brain-meld trying to compare all the cruise lines and inclusions/options.

I also can't see spending $$ on all-inclusive beverages if you're truely only going to be on board just for dinner and evening activities.

I should point out we did by the all-inclusive drink package on our last Princess cruise, but with sea days we definitely got our monies worth on that option.

My MIL loves the butler option on Scenic, but I can't see spending extra $$ for butlers, non-pedal bikes or garment pressing (did I mention 2 college tuitions?!?!)

I read the CC comparison pdf of river cruise lines to hotel chains and ocean cruise lines...very helpful!

I've started a spreadsheet to compare cruise lines/cabin types/pricing/all inclusive...but guess now I have to go back and add fields types/inclusions of shore excursions/gratuities/splash pools/alternate dining venues etc.

Agree with everything Fran mentioned, although we have not sailed Scenic.

We found the difference in prices to be negligible between Viking and Uniworld once all the Viking "add-ons" are included that Uniworld includes in its basic pricing.

We found that on each river cruise there is a day reserved for traveling the river. Castle regions on the Rhine, the Iron Gates on the Danube between Bucharest and Belgrade, etc. This should show on the schedule. We enjoy having the ability to open a window/sliding door, even in winter. We found the included tours to be more than adequate - no need to pay extra for optional tours. Enjoy the honey brandy in Croatia!

We added "do-it-ourself" Prague to our Bucharest-Budapest cruise last Summer. Train between Budapest and Prague. Comfortable and scenic, even though we arrived almost one hour late. Researched and selected a "boutique" hotel on the downtown walking street - the Savic. Excellent hotel, service, location and huge room, breakfast included, and they arranged for a driver to pick us up at the station and take us to the airport on departure. Cost was about half what the cruise line was asking. We also included two days of private touring with a wonderful tour company.

We researched and arranged for everything on-line and it was easy.

Best regards

I'm a spreadsheet geek. One factor that swayed me to Vantage for my next river cruise was a 10% discount on the cruise for paying it all a year in advance. A guaranteed 10% return on your money is a pretty good deal these days.

FuelScience

• 1 month later...
One comment I have, knowing some people don't care about food in the least is: Viking struggles on its Long Boats to feed 180-190 people, in one sitting, at one time. Food may come out cold, lukewarm, or not as you ordered it (unless far more well done). However, not all of Viking's vessels are Long Boats. So some of the comments can be directed at Viking, where the larger Long Boats are the problem. These items may not be an issue for the smaller vessels still in use. Other river cruise lines do not use boat with the capacity of the Long Boats, so they will not have some of the problems experienced on those oversized (imo) craft.

Found the same on a Viking cruise between Bucharest and Budapest. We stopped eating in the MDR and ate on the Aquavit terrace do to the noise, poor service and even bad food. We also will not sail again on anything Viking do to a horrible pre-cruise experience with corporate Viking, which included offering us air at $1000 over the same surplice website, rudely told there would be no swapping extra hotel nights between Bucharest and Budapest (don't even ask) and Viking's inability to keep us informed of changes do to Danube water levels (they ere miffed that the info was on CC). Much prefer Uniworld and will cruise China and Christmas Markets in 2016 with Uniworld. Same price, better service, better food, and friendlier staff.

I first became interested in river cruises when I received a brochure from Viking.

After much research comparing prices and bennies, I found that Viking has never been the best deal.

My Son did a Viking cruise with a group and enjoyed it very much. I am sure Viking provides a very good product.

My first river cruise was Russian River with Vantage (cheaper than Viking) and we had five star hotels in city centers in Moscow and STP. Great cruise. Viking passengers had to commute in traffic to get into the city, not us.

Our China river cruise, which was three weeks, mainly of a wonderful land tour. We had a quality tour in five star hotels with a group of 24.

Ran into some Viking people on the plane from Guillen to Hong Kong. We paid less for our tour, in fact the Viking extension package made the price even more. That was in 2012. Also, while on the same airplane, the Viking passengers had to ask us how to fill out the customs form that our Vantage Program Manager had already assisted us in filling out.

We priced our Douro river cruise and Viking and Vantage were about the same price (Viking a little more) but the Viking tour was one day shorter than the Vantage tour.

I am not saying that Vantage will always beat Viking, but so far it has for us.

I first became interested in river cruises when I received a brochure from Viking.

After much research comparing prices and bennies, I found that Viking has never been the best deal.

My Son did a Viking cruise with a group and enjoyed it very much. I am sure Viking provides a very good product.

My first river cruise was Russian River with Vantage (cheaper than Viking) and we had five star hotels in city centers in Moscow and STP. Great cruise. Viking passengers had to commute in traffic to get into the city, not us.

Our China river cruise, which was three weeks, mainly of a wonderful land tour. We had a quality tour in five star hotels with a group of 24.

Ran into some Viking people on the plane from Guillen to Hong Kong. We paid less for our tour, in fact the Viking extension package made the price even more. That was in 2012. Also, while on the same airplane, the Viking passengers had to ask us how to fill out the customs form that our Vantage Program Manager had already assisted us in filling out.

We priced our Douro river cruise and Viking and Vantage were about the same price (Viking a little more) but the Viking tour was one day shorter than the Vantage tour.

I am not saying that Vantage will always beat Viking, but so far it has for us.

Similar experiences between Viking and Uniworld. Have found that for most European rivers Viking is more expensive than Uniworld, and Uniworld offers more amenities, such as included gratuities. Better service too.

We are doing China in Spring next year and following a lot of research selected Uniworld with the Lhasa option. The final price is $2,000 less per person with Uniworld than with Viking for what I consider a better tour with a much better company.

Edited by Globehoppers

Globetrotter;

We have booked the 5/6/16 Uniworld cruise to Tibet and China. Is that the trip you are likewise on, or the 5/20? We are also doing the Guilin- Hong Kong extension. Currently, plan on going over (depart) on 5/3 to have a couple of extra days in Bejing and to start getting over jet lag before the cruise. Might move the departure to 5/2, still researching. Have until next month before we can make flight reservations. :D

Globetrotter;

We have booked the 5/6/16 Uniworld cruise to Tibet and China. Is that the trip you are likewise on, or the 5/20? We are also doing the Guilin- Hong Kong extension. Currently, plan on going over (depart) on 5/3 to have a couple of extra days in Bejing and to start getting over jet lag before the cruise. Might move the departure to 5/2, still researching. Have until next month before we can make flight reservations. :D

GREAT! We are booked on the same trip but without the Hong Kong extension. Have been to HK - even though it has been many years - and we like to keep trips to two weeks since we have an English Springer Spaniel who spends her days away at a "Pet Resort and Spa." At the moment we are not planning to arrive Beijing early. Some of the trip reviews claim that is unnecessary. That said, I do like to take a day or so to recover from long flights and acclimate to the time change. We traveled - 14 hours non-stop - to India last year and that the change seemed less difficult than experienced flying to Europe. Still thinking about air routing. For us flying out of Tampa Air Canada looks promising price wise. Will be able to check what Uniworld is offering next month...

Do you want to start a "thread?" Uniworld China 2016?

Edited by Globehoppers

Globetrotter;

Our tour don't seem to make it to the Summer Palace, so we will do that and the Lama Temple when we go in early. Also want to spend more time around Shicicibia Lake than the tours allow such as seeing Prince Gong Mansion. A believe our tour goes to a different part of the Great Wall (must check) so we might take a day to go out and hit the Mutianyu area which is extremely picturesque and less crowded.

We have the dogs/critter issues also with a Border Collie and a Cavalier King Charles. We have a lady that stays at our home at watches them and our other critters while we are gone. If we lost her, I don't know what we'd do!

Early look for us seems Nashville-Chicago-Bejing and Hong Kong-Chicago-Nashville on United are the easiest and best connections, along with being the least expensive. Next month we'll see what Uniworld has to offer. American through Dallas is second best.

• 2 weeks later...
mozfoz - you seem to know what is important (and not) for you - so you will be able to make an informed decision.

DH and I are not among the "brand loyal" crowd, as itinerary, dates and cost are important drivers in our decision.

We have traveled with Uniworld, Viking, AMA, Avalon & Scenic. We would happily travel with any of them again.

The "final payment" date with Viking is much earlier than with any other line - but sometimes that works out better. We were talking with people on the weekend who booked a Viking cruise for next year. While they were not happy - initially - with the final payment date, it turned out better for them as they paid in full while the CDN dollar was closer to par with the US. I am watching with baited breath - as our final payment (for our cruise in October) is due next week.

I do agree that Viking is not trying to market to the all inclusive crowd. I think they offer a solid product for the price point. A "solid product" isn't enough for some --> but there are always lots of options to choose from.

Enjoy your planning....

Fran

Fran, could you please be so kind to tell me what line you preferred over the other and why? I'm researching which line to go with and would love to hear your opinion since you have experienced several. Thank you