Splendor of the seas

I did the Greek Isles cruise on Splendour of the Seas out of Venice in November.

I did a day-by-day blog about my trip on my blog. You can read the day by day articles here. I covered food, entertainment, and ports. Hope it helps!

http://duncanwrites.co.uk/category/splendour-2014/?order=asc

I just realised when I checked this for you that I didn't write a final review or about disembarkation. I must have been too busy in Venice to get round to it, then it slipped my mind! Still a bit of content there and pictures for your entertainment :)

Edited by dst87

How did you find the condition of the ship? Thinking of doing this in May but was worried because they are releasing her next April.

Thanks!

I'd say she was in reasonable condition given her age. She was kept clean from what I saw. Our inside stateroom was remarkably nice looking and my first time in an inside, so I was pleasantly surprised (though I HATE shower curtains).

Public areas looked clearly dated, but as I said kept clean. Staff were wonderful. This is my only RCI experience though, so I don't know how she compares to other ships.

The Atrium was lovely and occasionally they did aerial performances from the tall ceiling. Not bad at all given the age of the ship, and she was refurbished not THAT long ago.

She was a bit small for my tastes, and I prefer a newer ship, but I don't see any reason you wouldn't love a cruise on her!

We are doing the transatlantic from Brazil on Splendour in just over 3 weeks. I don't plan on a full review but will post my thoughts on here when we get back.

I'm really looking forward to it, haven't been on Splendour since 2006 when we did Greece and Turkey out of Venice so will be nice to compare the ship now.

Julie

I believe that, for any travel experience, there are different points of view. For example, a destination can be a very nice place, but if the resort is bad (building or services) your won't enjoy the place. Same with cruises.

We did a short Brazilian cruise with the Splendour between March 1st and March 6th, barely 3 weeks ago.

The ship is outdated and it shows.

The vibration was intense. Several things simply "didn't work".

The Windjammer Café (breakfasts and lunches) is very small and it has wood chairs with armrests (very heavy to move), so it is almost impossible to walk, get a table, etc. Food was cold.

Now, I can write about other issues, however, I think that the human factor was critic for our cruise.

We (family of 3) are fluent in Portuguese and Spanish so the language was not an issue for us. However, it took 3 days to check and fix our thermostat. When we went to the guest services desk to ask for a solution, we were insulted.

I don't think that the crews going to Europe are the same, so hopefully, your experience will be better.

Hope this helps

DH and I cruised the Splendour last September- from Venice to the Greek isles. We had a lovely time. Although not "sparkly" new, we felt the ship was in good shape. We very much enjoyed the food in MDR. We had a balcony room, and other than the infamous shower curtain, we felt the room was in excellent condition. Frankly, because of the nature of this trip ( very port-intensive), the ship was less of a concern to us anyway. I hope you enjoy your cruise. (Be sure to spend an extra day or 2 in Venice!)

Thanks for the link etc, will enjoy reading that. I really loved grandeur, so hoping to like splendour too.

Julie,

Hope you enjoy your cruise from Brazil. We did that last year, but on MSC Preziosa. No Transatlantics for us this year as Gregor has exams. Seems a long time since we were in Liberty.

Duncan,

Thanks again for the blog link. I have just enjoyed reading it over a nice cup of tea. Good start to the day! Very interesting and enjoyable to read. We are sailing in November too, so nice to see you had some decent weather.

Sorry to switch topics a bit, but since many here were on that cruise, I just thought I'd ask. My mom is the one thinking of doing the cruise and she most likely would do it alone. Thoughts? She's older but very fit and active and I was going to encourage her to do some RCCL excursions so she could meet people on the ship. Unfortunately the price of traveling alone isn't great!

Thanks for the link etc, will enjoy reading that. I really loved grandeur, so hoping to like splendour too.

Julie,

Hope you enjoy your cruise from Brazil. We did that last year, but on MSC Preziosa. No Transatlantics for us this year as Gregor has exams. Seems a long time since we were in Liberty.

Hi Sandra,

yes we're looking forward to Brazil. We're currently deciding which TA to do for Oct 2016, luckily we don't have to worry about school holidays now Luke is at uni!

Good luck to Gregor for the exams,

Julie