Non MDR gluten free options

earn

I have never sailed NCL before, but have had great experience eating gluten free in RCI and good on MSC.

Both provided excellent fresh made options in the restaurants, but the difference between the two was the availability of freshly made Gluten free options elsewhere. On MSC apart from meals there were not many freshly made gluten free options. Cakes, waffles, croissant etc were all pre packages and pretty awful, as they usually are. RCI on the other hand will make me fresh gluten free pancakes or muffins at any venue for breakfast, and also gluten free pizza at Sorentos. They also had a wide variety of fresh made gluten free bread. Also wondering if anyone knows if the pool grill burgers etc are gluten free.

So, my question to anyone who knows is. How does NCL compare. I have met people who didn't know that they could get the fresh items I mentioned on RCI, so I don't want to miss out, if all I need to do is ask. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

I have never sailed NCL before, but have had great experience eating gluten free in RCI and good on MSC.

Both provided excellent fresh made options in the restaurants, but the difference between the two was the availability of freshly made Gluten free options elsewhere. On MSC apart from meals there were not many freshly made gluten free options. Cakes, waffles, croissant etc were all pre packages and pretty awful, as they usually are. RCI on the other hand will make me fresh gluten free pancakes or muffins at any venue for breakfast, and also gluten free pizza at Sorentos. They also had a wide variety of fresh made gluten free bread. Also wondering if anyone knows if the pool grill burgers etc are gluten free.

So, my question to anyone who knows is. How does NCL compare. I have met people who didn't know that they could get the fresh items I mentioned on RCI, so I don't want to miss out, if all I need to do is ask. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

The gluten free bread on NCL was pretty good ... from the rolls at dinner, to the regular sandwich / toast bread. I can't answer about pancakes and pizza because I don't eat that, but if you are in the buffet, just ask someone. They will get your items from the back so it is not contaminated.

THey make the gf pizza onboard, it's not great IMO. They used to use a pre-made crust that was excellent but they changed it last year.

The hamburgers are good, they will give you a bun too if you request in advance or are willing to wait. It might be udi's.

As SissasMomE said, the bread is pretty good. I never got any rolls but did get the sliced bread. The blueberry muffins at breakfast were so good. The pasta is excellent.

I'm pretty sure everything but the pizza crust is pre-packaged.

Don't miss the flourless chocolate cake....amazing!

Thank you very much for your input. Very helpful. I love flourless chocolate cake. We have only been in one Carnival cruise and the only thing that would inspire me to cruise carnival again is their fabulous chocolate melting cake (wasn't coeliac then, so might not be GF).

Does NCL have an always available menu? On RCI I always know I can have a steak if all else fails. MSC steaks were awful, but compensated for by brilliant pasta and risotto.

Always available steak, baked chicken, fish and a vegetarian selection.

Moderno, the cheese rolls are made without wheat flour, fresh and tasty.

Large salad bar, more like tapas and the array of grilled meats. I am not sure about the coconut flan or mango rice and papaya cream desserts, but when you decide to book, and let NCL know at least a month in advance, they will know exactly what is already GF and put in an order to supply the rest.

Breads and pastries are made daily, might include some GF. Everything at Teppanyaki is GF except for the green tea cake, and you can also request no Soy sauce, et al.

Always available steak, baked chicken, fish and a vegetarian selection.

Moderno, the cheese rolls are made without wheat flour, fresh and tasty.

Large salad bar, more like tapas and the array of grilled meats. I am not sure about the coconut flan or mango rice and papaya cream desserts, but when you decide to book, and let NCL know at least a month in advance, they will know exactly what is already GF and put in an order to supply the rest.

Breads and pastries are made daily, might include some GF. Everything at Teppanyaki is GF except for the green tea cake, and you can also request no Soy sauce, et al.

Not all of the meats are GF, but just ask and they will let you know. The rolls are great - ended up making them for dd at home.

One evening in the MDR I was at a table with someone who is gf and he did not look at the menu which surprised me until a Maitre'd came over with a special menu. I asked him why and he said he was selecting tomorrow's meal. The gf meal he was served had been selected the previous day.

Thank you very much for your input. Very helpful. I love flourless chocolate cake. We have only been in one Carnival cruise and the only thing that would inspire me to cruise carnival again is their fabulous chocolate melting cake (wasn't coeliac then, so might not be GF).

Does NCL have an always available menu? On RCI I always know I can have a steak if all else fails. MSC steaks were awful, but compensated for by brilliant pasta and risotto.

Just an FYI - the regular chocolate melting cake on Carnival is not Gluten free, but if you request it they will make a GF version.

Not all of the meats are GF, but just ask and they will let you know. The rolls are great - ended up making them for dd at home.

This chicken legs are marinated in lime, the chicken breast is wrapped in bacon but still rather dry. Either might have a light breading. The leg was very good by the by. The grilled pineapple with a bit of brown sugar and possibly a light dusting of cinnamon was TDF and a great palate cleanser.

Sausages, such as choirizo may contain filler but the grilled meats, such as 3 types of steaks and delectable lamb chops do not. BTW: I just recalled the flour used for those little cheese rolls is tapicoca, definitely GF. ;)

Edited by kcfoxy

• 2 weeks later...
This chicken legs are marinated in lime, the chicken breast is wrapped in bacon but still rather dry. Either might have a light breading. The leg was very good by the by. The grilled pineapple with a bit of brown sugar and possibly a light dusting of cinnamon was TDF and a great palate cleanser.

Sausages, such as choirizo may contain filler but the grilled meats, such as 3 types of steaks and delectable lamb chops do not. BTW: I just recalled the flour used for those little cheese rolls is tapicoca, definitely GF. ;)

Every time I've dined at Moderno they have told me the cheese bread was not GF. Weird.

Every time I've dined at Moderno they have told me the cheese bread was not GF. Weird.

That is weird. Our waitress was so excited to let us know the rolls we're gluten free. Google brazillian cheese bread (I forget them real name), and you will find tons of recipes (what makes them special is that they are made with tapioca flour).

That is weird. Our waitress was so excited to let us know the rolls we're gluten free. Google brazillian cheese bread (I forget them real name), and you will find tons of recipes (what makes them special is that they are made with tapioca flour).

Yes, I'm familiar with the bread so I thought it was weird when they told me it was not GF but I figured they would know best. Better safe than sorry, right? I've since been to Moderno two more times and have been told no bread.

I'll question this further when I'm on the Gem next month. Thanks for letting me know you have had a different experience.

Wife is GF and we have never had a issue/problem. We don't do any of the special restaurants - usually just the buffet and MDR. At the buffet (especially breakfast) she is all about the made to order omelets. For lunch she will hit the fruit and meat and cheeses along with no bun hamburgers or hotdogs.

We immediately go to the MDR when we board and see the maître D and pre-order for that nights meal. We pre-order each night after our meal....there isn't a "Special Menu" as some people claim that is specific to GF needs... they have just been able to tell us that they can or can't do this or that... we have gotten a few non menu deserts that are GF as well.

Buns are Udie's from what we can tell. The toast/bread she said was great when she did get some bread at the MDR. We did eat in the MDR for breakfast once and she said that the waffles were tough and just nothing to brag about - I think they were frozen and not freshly made.. which is typical or fine with us. Hands down hit the made to order omelets they are the best.

Just wanted to say I appreciate this thread being started and the replies. I have been abstinent from wheat flour and sugar for close to a year now so I always wonder what the GF options are. I feel Carnival has some nice options and had no problem finding things to try. This is my first NCL cruise so thanks again for the info. :)

Unfortunately GF provisions vary in so many ways. Please read my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193576 where I describe the terrible experience we had with getting GF on the 3/29/15 sailing of the Star.

Since I have only sailed once on NCL I cannot say whether all their kitchen staff is poorly trained as the star crew. But when the head chef does not know how to make GF french toast all I can say is "Houston, we have a problem".

I have read that it wise to contact NCL before you sail about your dietary requirements. That way you are guaranteed that they will have what you like. They always have some provisions, but they can run low if there are a lot of GF people on board who didn't let them know.

I have read that it wise to contact NCL before you sail about your dietary requirements. That way you are guaranteed that they will have what you like. They always have some provisions, but they can run low if there are a lot of GF people on board who didn't let them know.

Just to clarify, we DID contact special needs prior to boarding. Our needs still were not met. I have been on cruises where the ship ran out of things like syrup, but on the first night, serving croutons 3 times on a salad is incompetence, not running low on provisions.