1st cruise as platinum, free Internet minutes?

JEM4205

For our next cruise (Aug 2015 Alaska) we will have reached the platinum level, and as I understand it this will entitle us to a few free Internet minutes. What will we need to do on-board to enroll and activate these minutes? Thanks for any information.

Just follow the instructions when you initially log in, which I suggest you do for the first time in the internet cafe. The account will already know you are entitled to free minutes and all you will have to do is accept them. Or buy more if you wish.

For our next cruise (Aug 2015 Alaska) we will have reached the platinum level, and as I understand it this will entitle us to a few free Internet minutes. What will we need to do on-board to enroll and activate these minutes? Thanks for any information.

From the Princess website:

Complimentary Internet Credit#

Each Platinum Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet credit to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the passenger’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

VOYAGE DURATION MINUTES 7 days or less 150 8-20 days 250 21+ days 500

As a Platinum Captain’s Circle Member you will be recognized as such when you initially log on to the Internet onboard. Upon the initial log on you will see a screen which shows you how many complimentary minutes you are eligible to receive. In addition, you will have the opportunity to select more minutes at the available rates. This offer is only available at the time of the initial log on.

Only usage exceeding the allotted amounts will be charged to your onboard folio. The Internet activation fee of $3.95 is waived for Platinum and Elite Princess Captain’s Circle Members.

*Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or cruise days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply.

^For UK and AU/NZ Members, your Cruise Atlas is mailed out upon request. UK Members please call 0845 355 0065, AU Members please call 1300 300 528, NZ Members please call 0800 444 786.

#Subject to availability. Not combinable with any other Internet offer.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/platinumMemberShipBenefits.jsp

Edited by MilliesMom

It's all pretty logical - as said, just follow the step. The only odd thing is that you have to "purchase" the minutes for $0.00 when you first log in, so be sure to click on purchasing minutes.

Also, if you use up your free minutes they don't tell you and just start charging at the high rate, so watch your minutes as you get need the end.

If your cabin-mate is platinum they will also get their own minutes.

We will finally have free Internet minutes on our September cruise. We will start out right with 250 minutes each. :)

Up until our last cruise we have just stuck our phones in the safe and only used our tablets as e-readers. On our most recent cruise we were able to use the phones to view our folio, onboard activities, etc. It was handy but a somewhat mixed blessing as I ended up carrying the phone with me. I suppose with free Internet minutes we'll actually access some stuff online but will mostly still just cruise. I get easily frustrated (OK, downright peeved) with slow connections so I'm not counting on too much from the Princess connection.

If you go on any of my cruises I'll give you my minutes; I don't use the Internet while I'm on a cruise.

That certainly would help me when I do a LIVE. Never enough minutes even though I have them from two of us. Now if we could just find the same cruise................ ;)

Had our free minutes for the first time on the Royal! I didn't even get close to the 250 minutes with just checking email once a day & occasionally Facebook. The internet speed on my iPhone seemed to be better on the Royal than with the computers on the CB (previous ship we'd been on).

It's all pretty logical - as said, just follow the step. The only odd thing is that you have to "purchase" the minutes for $0.00 when you first log in, so be sure to click on purchasing minutes.

Also, if you use up your free minutes they don't tell you and just start charging at the high rate, so watch your minutes as you get need the end.

If your cabin-mate is platinum they will also get their own minutes.

Are the minutes for each person assigned to the cabin so that they could all be used by one person?

Minutes are allocated individually. Minutes can be used by one person but you have to be logged on as the other person to use their free minutes.

Edited by SadieN

Not mentioned is if you want more minutes than the 250 free ones you are offered at first sign in to purchase additional minutes at a discount. I think we got an additional 250 minutes for $79.99 which was $20 less than what people would pay if they didn't have the free minutes.

Besides the free internet don't forget the two free drink coupons and the Atlas you will get every year. Congrats on the new level.

What free drink coupons? Platinum gets a party; same as Elites. And Atlas is just another piece of .........

What free drink coupons? Platinum gets a party; same as Elites. And Atlas is just another piece of .........

Yes, what free drink coupons AND what Platinum party? We are new Platinums and are not aware of either.

Pia, someone said you have not been on a Princess cruise for a year and we were wondering if you were okay. We were with you a couple years ago for the Panama Canal cruise and enjoyed meeting you. My DW and I were the ones that did the M&G. Nice to see you are posting still. bob

Princess has a party for repeat passengers. I think on most ships, the lower Captain's Circle levels get coupons for free drinks. The higher levels get a party with free (watered down) drinks and appetizers. Captain usually appears. Three most traveled are recognized.

I've done that for years. DH is allergic to the Internet. ;):p:D

This is why/how/what for I donated my internet minutes to Pia. While I'm not allergic to the internet, after all I'm on here, I simply have no reason to go online while on a cruise. I have no family and I see no reason to contact any of my friends while I'm away. Also if there's an emergency, my apartment building burns down or something, what am I going to do out in the middle of the ocean; nothing!

Edited by Treven

Yes, what free drink coupons AND what Platinum party? We are new Platinums and are not aware of either.

Pia, someone said you have not been on a Princess cruise for a year and we were wondering if you were okay. We were with you a couple years ago for the Panama Canal cruise and enjoyed meeting you. My DW and I were the ones that did the M&G. Nice to see you are posting still. bob

This is why/how/what for I donated my internet minutes to Pia. While I'm not allergic to the internet, after all I'm on here, I simply have no reason to go online while on a cruise. I have no family and I see no reason to contact any of my friends while I'm away. Also if there's an emergency, my apartment building burns down or something, what am I going to do out in the middle of the ocean; nothing!

Bob: see Paul's post about party. Correct, haven't been on Princess since last March. I'm ok; DH is not. So we must stay close to home and just grab short caribbean cruises which do not entail flying. I believe this will not change any time soon.

Treven: LOL. Sounds like when we were on cruise in Tahiti in 2004 when hurricane hit Florida. We just enjoyed our cruise and waited until we got home to find out if anything had happened. It didn't. Also, when Andrew hit us in 1992. We were on our way to Hong Kong. No damage in our area. Thankfully.