Regal excursions at St Thomas

ynot6352

We have also gone on our own and did an excursion through the ship. The ship excursion was about $65.00 per person including transportation & snorkeling at Trunk Bay.

When we went on our own we took a cab to Red Hook, caught the ferry and hired a cab on the island for an island tour. There were 3 other couples and it was in an open air bus, not too expensive and lots of fun. Make sure you are back to Cruz Bay in time to catch the ferry back to Red Hook on St. Thomas, then a cab back to the ship. Also be sure you have plenty of cash to pay for the cabs & ferry, it was about $125 for the two of us.

Hope this helps.

We did the ship excursion on HAL Eurodam. Took the ferry then met at the ferry and taken to beach for snorkeling and back to ferry for ride back. Nice day and no hassles with cabs etc.

• 8 months later...
We have also gone on our own and did an excursion through the ship. The ship excursion was about $65.00 per person including transportation & snorkeling at Trunk Bay.

When we went on our own we took a cab to Red Hook, caught the ferry and hired a cab on the island for an island tour. There were 3 other couples and it was in an open air bus, not too expensive and lots of fun. Make sure you are back to Cruz Bay in time to catch the ferry back to Red Hook on St. Thomas, then a cab back to the ship. Also be sure you have plenty of cash to pay for the cabs & ferry, it was about $125 for the two of us.

Hope this helps.

We are wanting to do this same thing on our St Thomas stop when we are on the Royal for Valentines cruise. Did you write a review of the trunk bay excursion thru princess? Also, where did you go in at john when you went on your own? Thx

We are wanting to do this same thing on our St Thomas stop when we are on the Royal for Valentines cruise. Did you write a review of the trunk bay excursion thru princess? Also, where did you go in at john when you went on your own? Thx

No, I did not write a review of our excursion because it has been some time ago. However, we are usually very happy with excursions we have booked through the ship. When we went to St. John's on our own on our last visit we took an open air cab from the cab stand right at the pier. Ask the driver to take you to Red Hook and from there you will catch the ferry over to St. John. When we arrived on St. John we first took an island tour with a local guide and then did some shopping. Make sure you watch your time so you can catch the ferry back and also the cab ride can be a little long if there are a lot of ships in port with traffic.

If you check the Ports of Call boards here on CC for St. Thomas there is quite a bit of good info on excursions, etc.

Edited by Sanibel*Gal

Hope this helps.

We have done the same as you. You just have to remember the ferry schedule so that you are back on St Thomas and have enough time to get a taxi back to your ship. The traffic on St Thomas in the afternoon is really slow so take that into account. Sharing the taxi we had a pax from another ship and they were cutting it very close. I am not sure they even made it.

St John taxi:

IMG_3063a.jpg.c05326a0cc475ea9ff3910a04de7945f.jpg

We took a very enjoyable ship shore excursion to St. John. I was on Princess excursion and the excursions had a private ferry that also serviced ships excursions from the HAL ship docked next to us in Crown Bay. There was a narrator on board and it was quite a pleasant day.

While we love independent touring, I would probably not go to another island on my own and rely on public transportation, both ferries and taxis. And I think the taxi ride from Crown Bay to Red Hook is fairly lengthy. Just me but I would be nervous and would not fully enjoy my day knowing that if I missed my ferry or the ferry had a problem I could miss the ship.

And as others have said there is a lot of afternoon traffic at these ports, especially st. Thomas and St. Martin.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I just booked the excursion to St. John through Princess. It came to $129. The excursion leaves from port, so no taxi to Red Hook. It is worth the est. $4 more for the peace of mind of making the ship. I also understand you do a lot of running around getting taxis and drive time. I would rather spend my time on the island more productively.

Edited by sacnaillady

To each his own. Got in port at 8:00. Got on the first taxi out to Red Hook which left when it was full at 8:20. It even stopped to let someone off at Iggies and we still made it on the 9:00 ferry to St John's Cruz Bay. Took another taxi to Trunk Bay and we were sitting on the beach in our choice of spots by 9:45. Took the 1:00 ferry back to Red Hook and taxied to Charlotte Amalie to shop before returning to ship. Total cost for two: $85 including tips.

I guess we could have missed the 9:00 ferry if something went wrong, but we would have just taken the next one. Same as the 1:00 one on the way back.

Hope that helps. Paul

Is there that big of a difference between beaches on at Thomas and St. John? I want the softest, whitest sand I can find and don't mind going to the end of the earth to find it! Lol

I took a ship's tour to St John and toured the island. I didn't go onto the beaches but the sand was white and beautiful. Swimming with the turtles there would be a wondrous experience.

Is there that big of a difference between beaches on at Thomas and St. John? I want the softest, whitest sand I can find and don't mind going to the end of the earth to find it! Lol

You will get different opinions, but short answer no. Difference is in crowds. If you are the only ship in town, then hop a cab to Magens Bay. About $20 round trip. If a bunch of ships are in town, then you have to be a little creative like my above post to Trunk on St Johns, or other beaches on St. Thomas like Sapphire or Lindquist (as in the Direct TV commercial with the model and horse). All have powdery white sand and little to gentle waves and beautiful scenery.

Enjoy. Paul