Friends of Lady Dorothy

Montebello

Any other friends of the lady on board Celebrity Infinity's Panama Canal cruise, leaving Fort Lauderdalethe 28.th April 2015? We are three lazy Norwegians in their late 50's who will be joining the ship and hope to meet other lazy friends and couples for good and fun conversations over cocktails and maybe dinner. :)

Never heard of lady Dorothy.

There have Friends of Dorothy but I doubt that they would meet at the Martini Bar for drinks as it is another form of AA.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Never heard of lady Dorothy.

There have Friends of Dorothy but I doubt that they would meet at the Martini Bar for drinks as it is another form of AA.

happy cruising

That's Friends of Bill.

Friends of Dororthy is currently called LGBT and there should either be notification in the Daily or on the board near Guest Relations of get-togethers.

Montebello - Have you checked into your Roll Call?

It's here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999680

Edited by chamima

Scheduled get togethers are usually listed in the daily Celebrity Today, so look there after you board the ship. However, activities do seem to vary somewhat from cruise to cruise. Alternatively, the Martini Bar and Sunset Bar are good places to meet up with other LGBT cruisers (and in fact all types of cruisers!). Just strike up a conversation with someone you'd like to meet, happens all the time on cruise ships. You could always try finding the cruise director and asking to schedule a meeting, if for any reason it is not already on the program.

Edited by cynbar

If you're referring to Friends of Dorothy, which is a group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgenders, if they do have a meeting place, it will be posted on an information board by Guest Relations. There's also a board here on Cruise Critic for the same GLBT group.

Miched, I think you're confusing Friends of Bill, for those in AA, with the group for GLBT, which has been referred to as Friends of Dorothy.

If you're referring to Friends of Dorothy, which is a group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgenders, if they do have a meeting place, it will be posted on an information board by Guest Relations. There's also a board here on Cruise Critic for the same GLBT group.

Miched, I think you're confusing Friends of Bill, for those in AA, with the group for GLBT, which has been referred to as Friends of Dorothy.

The one time that I inquired about it I was told that it was a drug and alcohol support group that was named that be because of Judy Garlands drug and alcohol usage. Never asked again and left it at that.

Thanks for the education.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

The one time that I inquired about it I was told that it was a drug and alcohol support group that was named that be because of Judy Garlands drug and alcohol usage. Never asked again and left it at that.

Thanks for the education.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

The Judy Garland reference is accurate. (Just for the wrong group)

She played Dorothy in Somewhere Over the Rainbow and the Rainbow is the symbol for LGBT.

The founder of AA 's name is Bill Wilson. Hence the "Friends of Bill"

I think these "friends of..." things are all a bit dated and clichéd these days. I'm glad to see that X has mostly dropped the Friends of Dorothy term in favour of LGBT (or LGBTQ or LGBTQI or whatever). Is there still a need for groups like these to hide behind euphemisms? Does anyone benefit from the pretence of belonging to some sort of "secret society"?

I think these "friends of..." things are all a bit dated and clichéd these days. I'm glad to see that X has mostly dropped the Friends of Dorothy term in favour of LGBT (or LGBTQ or LGBTQI or whatever). Is there still a need for groups like these to hide behind euphemisms? Does anyone benefit from the pretence of belonging to some sort of "secret society"?

I really think "Friends of Bill" needs that. I have several friends that don't really need everyone to know what they are going through. That's why any building they have rented doesn't say AA, the sign always say something like Main Street Group or similar.

I really think "Friends of Bill" needs that. I have several friends that don't really need everyone to know what they are going through. That's why any building they have rented doesn't say AA, the sign always say something like Main Street Group or similar.

Fair enough. I'm mostly oblivious to what happens with AA and I guess that makes sense. Although maybe "Friends of Bill W." is becoming a bit too well known these days to ensure anonymity.

I find it interesting that FOD has been listed on the X Daily on some of my prior cruises (which I found to be much better attended), but not all. How many guests go down to the Guest Relations to check the signage? Not many I would think.

It should continue to be listed. Who's choice is this? The CD's? I think maybe, as our CD attended on those where it was listed in the dailies.

Shawn

The Judy Garland reference is accurate. (Just for the wrong group)

She played Dorothy in Somewhere Over the Rainbow and the Rainbow is the symbol for LGBT.

The founder of AA 's name is Bill Wilson. Hence the "Friends of Bill"

All this time I mistakenly called that movie The Wizard of Oz!:eek:

I was SO sure that's what it was called!:D;)

Any other friends of the lady on board Celebrity Infinity's Panama Canal cruise, leaving Fort Lauderdalethe 28.th April 2015? We are three lazy Norwegians in their late 50's who will be joining the ship and hope to meet other lazy friends and couples for good and fun conversations over cocktails and maybe dinner. :)

Hi Montebello,

Kindly post your question on your Roll Call. That's the best place to meet other Cruise Critic members on your sailing. The link to your Roll Call is posted above. Have a wonderful time on Infinity.

This thread is now closed.