Why do they bump dinner reservations?

justmeindustland

1. The onboard reservations we made in person on day 1 bore no relation to the reservations we were actually allocated. The whole system was chaotic. We didn't mind too much as we're pretty relaxed and flexible about these things and it was exciting to see what our "surprise" reservation was that day.

2. People were making large numbers of reservations and then simply not turning up. There were vacant tables in "fully booked" venues every night. We just turned up on spec and were usually given one of those vacant tables. No tip or other inducement changed hands. It also helps if you dine early at or near opening time.

3. If you are a SS regular or doing several segments of the cruise you can expect special treatment and not just in restaurants. There, I said it.

. . . .

RE #1 and #2

For our recent Auckland-Melbourne cruise, we booked on-line 90 days out to try and avoid the first-day on-board booking rush with preferential handling we had previously experienced on the three prior SS cruises. We based booking venues and times on coordinating when we would want to "hide" in alternative venues on formal night, and what excursions we had booked in advance (e.g., if a big lunch was part of the excursion it was a bad night for Le Champagne, would be too stuffed). The computer back then appropriately would not allow alternative or simultaneous bookings for dining or excursions. All the bookings we kept were honored, and we timely cancelled the two we could not keep (one because I was seasick, and one because the first formal night day was changed so we had to rejuggle). Overall, it worked out well. People definitely cancel (or, less politely, no show). We met a solo lady in Le Champagne on for a long haul who said she booked and dined there almost every night because she liked the food better.

RE #3 It was also our impression that "regulars" or long-haulers received special treatment in some ways other than dining ( I have numerous examples), but my experience is limited to just a handful of SS cruises. They pay more, so they get a little more service ( more unofficially than officially, other than official free laundry and booking discounts), and they know whom to pre-tip more, or they know where to sit and who the good waiters are. This is just like in other coveted hotels or restaurants. Nothing outrageous, and you still mostly get what you paid for, but if you can attach yourself to a regular, inner circle person, you too might learn some insider tricks!

@ catlover54. We were on the same cruise so clearly the "VIP treatment" towards the favoured few wasn't just my imagination. I guess it's inevitable on any cruise line but it is a bit galling to be pushed down or even off the reservation list because one hasn't clocked up enough miles/$$$ with SS.

Just my experience, on the recent auckland to Melbourne cruise, I pre reserved several nights online. All except one were just as I had planned. The exception was Le champagne, where they had a group the night I requested. They rebooked us to another night but at a time I didn't like. I asked for a change, and got it with no problem. Don't think we had any VIP treatment, just normal treatment to make the guest happy.

I did have my TA contact them. They gave him bad information that there was availability and I just needed to rebook. :confused: He tried someone else that said no, we can only be wait listed and to book another night. On line shows availability until you get to the last button to finalize your reservation and then the system saws no availability. He is still working on it.

Never a good thing being bumped without an explanation. Its poor customer service. Period.

On another cruise line, this also happened to me. I showed up the night I made the reservation and had the print out from the computer at home the day I made the reservation in my hands. They told me that they couldn't find my name. Later, they proceeded to tell me that I had called and cancelled. Yeah, like I would do that standing there with my reservation in my hand. They acted like they were doing ME a favour by squeezing me in that evening. Yet the place never was full all evening. Oh they apologized because they simply got caught.

To the OP, if they can reaccomodate you then perfect. Hoping this gets sorted out.

A restaurant that doesn't overbook, and allows ample time for each group's dining, is never going to look full even when it has allocated all its reservations.

In the evening, La Terrazza does not book all the tables since the kitchen can only handle a certain number of dinners. That may be one reason why you thought the restaurant still had space when it did not.

Depends which ship &Matre d.On our last cruise on Silver Cloud every seat in La Terrazza was available and we made reservations at breakfast on the required day.Seemed to work okay and was rarely full to capacity.

and they know whom to pre-tip more,

Sorry Catlover54, this is just pure rubbish. People tipping (or pre-tipping) has nothing to do with whether they are long term SS cruisers. Its an attitude of entitlement and a belief that most (if not all) people can be bought. It stinks.

Silver Spectre, As is usual, I agree with your comments. The answer to all this tipping discussion is don't. Donate to The Crew Fund. Mention outstanding crew members specifically on the comment cards. Be friendly, respectful and grateful...works well for everyone.

Silver Spectre, As is usual, I agree with your comments. The answer to all this tipping discussion is don't. Donate to The Crew Fund. Mention outstanding crew members specifically on the comment cards. Be friendly, respectful and grateful...works well for everyone.

Well said ,quite right!

Sorry Catlover54, this is just pure rubbish. People tipping (or pre-tipping) has nothing to do with whether they are long term SS cruisers. Its an attitude of entitlement and a belief that most (if not all) people can be bought. It stinks.

I did not mean to imply that ONLY long term regular SS cruisers pre-tip (among other things they do) to secure better service. But certainly many do, as I not only witnessed it, but had it explained to me on our first SS Voyage by a chatty long term SS pax why he thought it was needed at times, and also by a recent pax as well. I doubt the data that would allow calculation of the gross percentages are known by anyone, not even on SS, or that a multivariate analysis is available that would clarify who pre-tips, and who post-tips individual crew, as opposed to leaving $ for the generic crew fund, who is new, who is old, if more pre-tippers are in the cheaper suites, or in the more expensive suites, if the probability of pre-tipping decreases as the voyage goes on, and who takes the SS motto that tips are not expected to mean that they are forbidden and considered bad manners and shameful. Mr. C and I do not have personalities ( or desire to spend time) on pre-tipping behavior for marginally relevant things like a slightly better dining venue, so we go with the "line up and take your turn" flow ( book online, or on the ship , as instructed, and you will eat, somewhere, and probably pretty well).

Having dined in Le Champagne a couple of times on Whisper I can honestly say it is not worth the upcharge nor the stress of finagleing a reservation. But if you love a challenge and simply must get it booked, can your "butler" be of any assistance? I've heard mention of butlers booking reservations....

Having dined in Le Champagne a couple of times on Whisper I can honestly say it is not worth the upcharge nor the stress of finagleing a reservation. But if you love a challenge and simply must get it booked, can your "butler" be of any assistance? I've heard mention of butlers booking reservations....

Yes, if he is a good butler, and doing this is all above board and in his job description ( no pushy bribing required). On our first SS cruise to Alaska in 2011 when we were clueless our fantastic butler proactively suggested bookings and took care of them. On this last voyage, when we needed to rejuggle some online reservations after boarding, the butler was mostly useless despite being repeatedly asked, then reminded, and so I pursued the requested change myself. RachelG's suggestion to immediately talk to the MD on boarding, and considering accepting alternative time and date, is good.

As for Le Champagne food, I think the service there was better (for us non-frequent cruisers) and the ability to order and get a better wine, which was a struggle for us in the MDR, was easy, and we had excellent meats ( a subjective opinion). Too rich to eat there daily, however!

I suspect that it also became more difficult to secure reservations in the small alternative dining venues when Silversea began to offer shorter cruises to widen their base.

Back in the day, the longer voyages offered many more nights, so there was more general availability. You could sometimes even book La Terrazza the day before. Now, the same number of passengers have to compete on cruises that are only half as long. Same number of passengers, but fewer total tables, if my math is correct...

Edited by Seafairer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...