Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Corporately speaking Walmart are awful. Would not classify as "good". They treat workers like crap. Treat their vendors like crap. Treat their communities like crap. Treat customers like crap. But they have low prices...

l.

Not just low price. Walmart's No Question Ask return policy is among the best in retail industry. I see a lot of people return items at Walmart that were clearly used and played with. Is this what you'd call treating customers like crap?

He is also stating that he wants to find ways to get the customer to use NCL vs. the competition. Now the new RS charge "lever" is certainly not looking like it's enticing people to use NCL if you go by the CC forums.

TheCapt

One has to remember that those on Cruise Critic are a very, very small amount of customers in relation to NCL's overall customer base. Not to mention, if you look through the threads (I know, there are so many of them about the same topic), you will see that a large amount of Cruise Critic folks either don't have an issue with the charge or have said they have no problem paying it or just don't care.

We can all voice our opinions, but I feel that the real decision will be made on how well it has and will be received on the Breakaway and Getaway. If the passengers embrace the extra fee, it will most likely go fleet wide, but if they reject it, it won't. And if the room service charge doesn't stick, you can bet that they will try another test on something else that would generate more revenue.

I also feel, that like other lines (this discussing is always going on on Celebrity's threads), NCL wants new customer to (1) replace those that are leaving due to attrition and (2) those that are willing to spend money; I can't tell you how many "loyal" customers I've met on both lines who brag about not spending anything other than the cruise fare and DSC or automatic gratuity, because they have been to these islands so many times. They bring on their own soda and wine or just drink the free beverages, don't purchase shore excursions, don't go to the spa, don't eat in specialty restaurants, etc. and I think all cruise lines are looking for passengers that will spend more dollars onboard the ships and I would be looking for the same thing if I were in their position. Mr. Del Rio has been challenged to increase profits and there are only a couple of ways he can do it. He can reduce the quality onboard and save money that way, which I don't think anyone would be happy with. He can raise prices onboard the ships or he could certainly raise the cruise fare, which might price him out of some folks pockets, where they will go to another line or by raising prices or he can generate revenue by adding on fees on items that I feel are choice items or not necessities; like room service (I know that some love room service and have always gotten it for free before, but there are a number of other locations to get a meal, it is not the only one), some activities, shore excursions, etc. and then those that want to pay for them will, but no one is force to pay for them, like they would be if the overall cruise fare went up.

I don't think NCL rolled out any of their new fees in a professional manner. There should have been a press release announcing the new fees and the room service test on the Breakaway and Getaway, but since there has been so many complaints in the last year about how bad their communication is, I guess I wasn't surprised and I think even if they did send out a press release or even given advance warning, the reaction of some would still be the same.

If that were the case NCL would charge for the "premium" items a la carte, and not charging the same fee regardless of how much you order and whether an item is hot or cold.

Carnival seems to be handling this MUCH better. Much of their room service remains complimentary. If you want a continental breakfast of coffee, fruit, yogurt, no charge. If you want a premium, made to order, hot item you pay additional for that item. No uproar over at that board, many seem to embrace the change. If NCL did the same thing I think many here would embrace it too.

I totally agree. I rarely order room service, but when I do, it's juice and a Danish. I will never pay $4.95 (or $7.95 - are they nuts?!) for juice and a roll to be brought to my cabin. However, if I desired something more substantial, then, yes, I would pay for the convenience.

Considering it was Target (NCL)that started the room service fee last week follow by Walmart (Carnival) this week, its only a matter of time before Kohls (Royal) joins in.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Dillard's and Macy's will soon follow too. You guys match them up. :D

How many people on a cruise utilized the free room service on NCL or Carnival? 50%, 25%, 10%? We never have. Thought about it once on our NCL cruise last October but it was easier just to go up to the buffet and get some coffee and light breakfast and bring it back to the cabin.

BTW, Target is closing its last stores in Canada this week. What a disaster.

Edited by DirtyDawg

And just like situation with cruise lines, still not enough or fear of raising prices - damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Because people don't understand that businesses (including NCL) are in the business to make money, otherwise they are out of business. And you are right, it is never enough! Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm not intentionally misreading your posts, but I do believe that I'm not all that clear on your position.

I took your post of "suspicion" to mean that you believe that NCL owes you an explanation or that something underhanded was going on with the changes. This clearly doesn't seem to be the case and I was mistaken.

As far as your "loyalty" goes I'll say what I have maintained all along. People seem to have this false idea that NCL cares about your loyalty beyond the program they offer for passengers to enroll in(which you pay for anyway with your bookings) This is as far as their loyalty to you goes. They don't and they never have. Anything perceived otherwise was mistaken at best and foolish to believe at worst.

While in an ideal world it would in fact be a two way street the reality is that more often than not it isn't and in my opinion to expect otherwise just isn't realistic. I'm old enough to remember when this wasn't the case at all regardless of how big a company was but the world changed.

All I (and those that take issue with the new changes) can do is choose to use NCL or book elsewhere.

TheCapt

Suspicion of fraud, rip off, con job, deceptive practices etc. is rational, logical and reasonble when anyone, anywhere, any time adds on additional fees or charges above and beyond the original price of the goods and services or reduces the size, scope or value of the goods and services.

I can tell you are NOT a seasoned NCL cruise veteran. Your cynical and condescending words regarding two way loyalty indicate you are clueless about NCL's past loyalty to their guests.

I have seen more chicanery and double dealing in my career than you will ever know. I sent many a fraudster and double dealer away for long vacations paid for by state government.

But, I have also broken bread and enjoyed the personal fellowship and friendship of NCL Executives, Captains, Officers, Hotel Directors, Food & Beverage Directors, Concierges, Butlers, Stewards, and Wait Staff.

I can tell you from personal experience with NCL, 21 cruises in 8 years, just shy of 500 Latitudes points, and for which I paid over 200K, that loyalty between NCL and guests has been a two way street until recently.

It was best embodied by the farewell cast song which was sung at the end of evrey cruise until very recently:

NCL Farewell Song

"This is your home, away from home.

You are part of our family.

We will be here, waiting for you,

making your dreams come true.

This is the Norwegian Way."

You'll probably find it "hokey" but both the NCL staff and guests lived it and loved it. We were family and we were steadfastly loyal to each other. it was that loyalty that allowed NCL to grow in just over a decade from a young upstart to a cruise industry leader and innovator.

But, I suspect outsiders are ready to replace the symbiotic loyalty of cruise line and guests with coporate greed.

You are wrong when you say the only two choices we have are to live with it or go elsewhere.

I have already shifted half of my annual cruise money elsewhere (primarily with RCI, my cruise MISTRESS) and still spend the other half with NCL (my cruise WIFE)

In the meantime, I will complain, cajole, carp, hoping to get my wife to wake up and treat me the way she used to treat me.

Until then, I will seek solace and affection in the arms of my mistress, spending half of my money on her. I don't want a divorce, I want reconcilliation and reunion with the wife. But, it's up to her.

Edited by Uniall

One has to remember that those on Cruise Critic are a very, very small amount of customers in relation to NCL's overall customer base. Not to mention, if you look through the threads (I know, there are so many of them about the same topic), you will see that a large amount of Cruise Critic folks either don't have an issue with the charge or have said they have no problem paying it or just don't care.

We can all voice our opinions, but I feel that the real decision will be made on how well it has and will be received on the Breakaway and Getaway. If the passengers embrace the extra fee, it will most likely go fleet wide, but if they reject it, it won't. And if the room service charge doesn't stick, you can bet that they will try another test on something else that would generate more revenue.

I also feel, that like other lines (this discussing is always going on on Celebrity's threads), NCL wants new customer to (1) replace those that are leaving due to attrition and (2) those that are willing to spend money; I can't tell you how many "loyal" customers I've met on both lines who brag about not spending anything other than the cruise fare and DSC or automatic gratuity, because they have been to these islands so many times. They bring on their own soda and wine or just drink the free beverages, don't purchase shore excursions, don't go to the spa, don't eat in specialty restaurants, etc. and I think all cruise lines are looking for passengers that will spend more dollars onboard the ships and I would be looking for the same thing if I were in their position. Mr. Del Rio has been challenged to increase profits and there are only a couple of ways he can do it. He can reduce the quality onboard and save money that way, which I don't think anyone would be happy with. He can raise prices onboard the ships or he could certainly raise the cruise fare, which might price him out of some folks pockets, where they will go to another line or by raising prices or he can generate revenue by adding on fees on items that I feel are choice items or not necessities; like room service (I know that some love room service and have always gotten it for free before, but there are a number of other locations to get a meal, it is not the only one), some activities, shore excursions, etc. and then those that want to pay for them will, but no one is force to pay for them, like they would be if the overall cruise fare went up.

I don't think NCL rolled out any of their new fees in a professional manner. There should have been a press release announcing the new fees and the room service test on the Breakaway and Getaway, but since there has been so many complaints in the last year about how bad their communication is, I guess I wasn't surprised and I think even if they did send out a press release or even given advance warning, the reaction of some would still be the same.

if cruise critic is such a small base of customers then why does each cruise line touts in print and media outlets if WHEN they have been given "BEST X AWARD" given by Cruise Critic?

Clearly they take the opinions expressed upon this site seriously. Cruise critic has millions of readers. they may not "participate", but trust they do read and follow along. Please don't dismiss these opinions as insignificant.

How are they going to decide if the unplan/unannounced RS charge was embraced? Really? you think all the passengers who used it and got that $10 bill for a pot coffee jumped up and down with glee and said"yipeee we finally get to pay for room service, its about time!!!" As they did not did not give refunds. You think they took a total of how many people complained???

again, its not the dayum point they are other locations to eat. ROOM SERVICE WAS INCLUDED IN THE CRUISE PACKAGE FARE PURCHASED.. ITS NOT CONSIDERED ANY LESSER VALUE THAN THE MDR OR BUFFET. because there are other locations does not mean they can take it away and charge for it after they sold it as included amenity!!!

I have already shifted half of my annual cruise money elsewhere (primarily with RCI, my cruise MISTRESS) and still spend the other half with NCL (my cruise WIFE)

In the meantime, I will complain, cajole, carp, hoping to get my wife to wake up and treat me the way she used to treat me.

Until then, I will seek solace and affection in the arms of my mistress, spending half of my money on her. I don't want a divorce, I want reconcilliation and reunion with the wife. But, it's up to her.

:D:D By far one of the most creative and amusing quotes in this thread.

A lawyer and a writer????????

Loved it!

if cruise critic is such a small base of customers then why does each cruise line touts in print and media outlets if WHEN they have been given "BEST X AWARD" given by Cruise Critic?

Clearly they take the opinions expressed upon this site seriously. Cruise critic has millions of readers. they may not "participate", but trust they do read and follow along. Please don't dismiss these opinions as insignificant.

How are they going to decide if the unplan/unannounced RS charge was embraced? Really? you think all the passengers who used it and got that $10 bill for a pot coffee jumped up and down with glee and said"yipeee we finally get to pay for room service, its about time!!!" As they did not did not give refunds. You think they took a total of how many people complained???

again, its not the dayum point they are other locations to eat. ROOM SERVICE WAS INCLUDED IN THE CRUISE PACKAGE FARE PURCHASED.. ITS NOT CONSIDERED ANY LESSER VALUE THAN THE MDR OR BUFFET. because there are other locations does not mean they can take it away and charge for it after they sold it as included amenity!!!

The publication is big, some of the forum communities like NCL are small and/or the other posters are not mainly responding due to tone / atmosphere of others compare to actual # of passengers that sail the ships.

Edited by maywell

But loyalty should be a two way street. It becomes a one way street when I'm told $25K to $35K per year is not enough loyalty to deserve free delivery of a pot of coffee and juice to my cabin each morning in return.

Well said. It's really disgusting when a company that sells a very expensive product decides to increase its revenue by nickel and diming as opposed to just making small and transparent price increases to its fare. If NCL had just increased its fares by $50 a person there wouldn't be anything like this level of outrage.

Edited by shapatack0

NCL used to take Cruise Critic seriously. Their way of dealing with CC Meet and Greets was way better than other lines from what I can gather from these forums. Head Office seems to have changed their ethos - let us hope that the on-board experience does not suffer the same fate. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one however.

too much competition in this ocean, ncl was a sinking ship in the late 90's, trust me, they continue on this path it will be again!

*rant over*

I totally agree with you "TIFFYGIRL"; if you piss loyal customers off they will find another cruise line that will make them feel appreciated.

Edited by qtaromar1970

Maybe they touted Cruise Critic because they were given the award by Cruise Critic. If they were given the award by the Arizona Cardinals, I bet they would tout them as well.

I haven't dismissed anyone's opinion because they are on Cruise Critic, just saying that those here on Cruise Critic are a small fraction of NCL's overall business that are on here posting (which if you read the threads was in response to this post: Now the new RS charge "lever" is certainly not looking like it's enticing people to use NCL if you go by the CC forums, which implies those that have posted their disappointment. And BTW, Cruise Critic has 1,236,538 members between all the cruise lines. When I cruise, I very rarely, sans the roll calls, ever meet anyone who knows what Cruise Critic is and I always suggest they become a member because of some of the valuable information on here.

When a company has a test to find out if something will be embraced by their customers, they usually have a small group where they test it. NCL; for example, is doing it on the Getaway and Breakaway, otherwise they wouldn't have called it a test. Other companies, may do a test in one city or a few cities to see if their customers will embrace a concept or product. If they see a positive response, they will roll it out to all their customers. It is just like polling. When the pollsters say 58 percent of the country agree with something, they have only contacted around 100 people or so and then figure that they are a cross section of the population. I'm sure NCL knows how to do a test, you or I might not agree with how they do their test or the outcome of the test, but in the end it is their test.

I SAID ROOM SERVICE WAS INCLUDED IN THE FARE BEFORE, BUT NOW IT MIGHT NOT BE AFTER THE TEST IS CONCLUDED. Sorry, but I do feel room service is lesser value than the MDR, where I am seated and served or the buffet that offers a wider selection of items, you might not feel the same, but that is okay, because we all have different likes and dislikes. If one doesn't want to pay the charge, if the test goes fleet wide, then they have a couple of choice. They can not order room service (that would be my choice), they can take the amount of the fee off their DSC or they can no longer cruise with NCL and find a cruise line more to their liking. There are always choices, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. And yes, NCL can take away anything they like, because it is their business and they live or die by their decisions.

It really boils down to how badly this change was implemented - not about the change itself.

If you strip away the fact that a previously complimentary offering was arbitrarily revised to carry a convenience fee without ample notice, the fervor and disgruntlement amounts to a new fee on something previously complimentary. I don't discount the importance of the first part but I wonder about the significance of the latter.

If this change in a long line of many shakes a customer to the core, someone has some long and hard thinking to do about the choices they make.

Maybe they touted Cruise Critic because they were given the award by Cruise Critic. If they were given the award by the Arizona Cardinals, I bet they would tout them as well.

I haven't dismissed anyone's opinion because they are on Cruise Critic, just saying that those here on Cruise Critic are a small fraction of NCL's overall business that are on here posting (which if you read the threads was in response to this post: Now the new RS charge "lever" is certainly not looking like it's enticing people to use NCL if you go by the CC forums, which implies those that have posted their disappointment. And BTW, Cruise Critic has 1,236,538 members between all the cruise lines. When I cruise, I very rarely, sans the roll calls, ever meet anyone who knows what Cruise Critic is and I always suggest they become a member because of some of the valuable information on here.

When a company has a test to find out if something will be embraced by their customers, they usually have a small group where they test it. NCL; for example, is doing it on the Getaway and Breakaway, otherwise they wouldn't have called it a test. Other companies, may do a test in one city or a few cities to see if their customers will embrace a concept or product. If they see a positive response, they will roll it out to all their customers. It is just like polling. When the pollsters say 58 percent of the country agree with something, they have only contacted around 100 people or so and then figure that they are a cross section of the population. I'm sure NCL knows how to do a test, you or I might not agree with how they do their test or the outcome of the test, but in the end it is their test.

I SAID ROOM SERVICE WAS INCLUDED IN THE FARE BEFORE, BUT NOW IT MIGHT NOT BE AFTER THE TEST IS CONCLUDED. Sorry, but I do feel room service is lesser value than the MDR, where I am seated and served or the buffet that offers a wider selection of items, you might not feel the same, but that is okay, because we all have different likes and dislikes. If one doesn't want to pay the charge, if the test goes fleet wide, then they have a couple of choice. They can not order room service (that would be my choice), they can take the amount of the fee off their DSC or they can no longer cruise with NCL and find a cruise line more to their liking. There are always choices, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. And yes, NCL can take away anything they like, because it is their business and they live or die by their decisions.

Very well said NLH. Businesses are in business to make money. They will do whatever they feel they need to in order to produce the maximum amount of revenue.

TheCapt

Very well said NLH. Businesses are in business to make money. They will do whatever they feel they need to in order to produce the maximum amount of revenue.

TheCapt

Sadly in some cases, they don't mind losing customers if it means letting them go to adds more to the bottom line than keeping them...Corporate policy class 102.....

Edited by maywell

Sadly in some cases, they don't mind losing customers if it means letting them go to adds more to the bottom line than keeping them...Corporate policy class 102.....

Very true and some sink because of it and others stay afloat just fine.

TheCapt

Very true and some sink because of it and others stay afloat just fine.

TheCapt

I know - I work for a corporate bank that got bailed out. Lol. Let's just say the way my line of business that I work for, got back into the black was by not making deals with some customers / clients because they were just too costly in the long run.

Edited by maywell

There is one great fallacy to the logic in both of your statements. The biggest asset of any company is not the brains in the board room, not the greatness of the product, or the pricing of the product, or the size of the company or the length of existence. Look at how low many of the the once high and mighty have fallen.

The biggest asset of any company selling goods or services is the Good Will and Brand Loyalty of its repeat customer base. Once it is lost, it is a long, difficult uphill road that may or may not lead to recovery.

If a regular repeat customer leaves because of a breach of trust and loyalty, his sucessor may replace a lost cabin sale but does not replace the trust and loyalty that brings repeat business.

Edited by Uniall

I'm sure NCL knows how to do a test, you or I might not agree with how they do their test or the outcome of the test, but in the end it is their test.

If this "test" is purely to see if there is a market for an upgraded breakfast room service meal, is it how you would do it if you had the authority to plan it and the responsibility of living with any outcome? If you say yes, it says much about your "management style". This is what this thread is about, NCL's perceived management style over the last few years and what appears to be an abrupt deviation by the present "test".

If you were doing this "test", would you implement it without letting the face of the company (your public relations staff) not only know about it but be involved in the implementation?

Would you put your staff out there when they did not have "answers" to questions about the "test"?

When you know that you are irritating your most loyal source of income by the comments made about your "test" implementation, how long do you think you can totally ignore them, not respond to them?

Are you tacky enough to give a public interview and state your major objective is how to get another $5.00 a day out my wife?

I, for one, don't think that NCL has demonstrated that they "know how to run a test."