Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

[quote name='sfaaa']As distasteful as this change may be, I wouldn't get too hard on the NCL staff over the phone. It was never their decision to do this and they are given absolutely no leeway to maneuver. Man, I would hate to be in their shoes to get yelled at right now.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this statement. I would personally tell them exactly how I feel. I would also remove the service charge. If the company is going to try to take it out of our pocket then I am taking it out of the employees pockets. When they have employees complaining and customers then they will get the point.

[quote name='GWAE'] I would also remove the service charge. If the company is going to try to take it out of our pocket then I am taking it out of the employees pockets.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]I could never punish the people who make my week special for something beyond their control.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='2ferfun']Has anyone seen a readable copy of the new menu? If its a FANTASTIC menu with lots of options for 7.95 per order that might be AT LEAST be worth looking at...[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Petite filet and eggs?
Colossal shrimp cocktail? :D[/COLOR][/SIZE] Edited by P&Lcruising

[quote name='2ferfun']Has anyone seen a readable copy of the new menu? If its a FANTASTIC menu with lots of options for 7.95 per order that might be AT LEAST be worth looking at...[/QUOTE]

There can be no redeeming value to the change regardless of the menu offerings as long as the $7.95 is charged for simply ordering a pot of coffee.
I'm a big NCL fan but this is beyond the pale.

[quote name='Norwegian Cruise Line']Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.[/QUOTE]

Blah blah blah. Try responding without the typical nonsensical scripted answer. Edited by SissasMomE

[quote name='Uniall']There can be no redeeming value to the change regardless of the menu offerings as long as the $7.95 is charged for simply ordering a pot of coffee.
I'm a big NCL fan but this is beyond the pale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ok, I see your point. What a mess!

[quote name='Tiggertastic']For a moment I thought ... 'April fool' ...
Very hygienic I know but it's not worth the extra money
Note to packing list, take thermos cup[/QUOTE]
Now, let's start taking bets on what NCL would rollout on April 1st.
Well, it's been April 1st. on their calendars for the entire month of March ...

It explained long lines daily on the Breakaway last week and the week before ... and without questions, this week & next week.

BA crew knew it was coming, as I said earlier - couldn't find any Breakfast Order Forms nor Room Service Menu (which I got later on) as uploaded earlier - without the $7.95 charge but has the 18% gratuity fee - nothing discretionary about it, looked as if it was a faxed copy & reproduced, printed for use - not even directly laser printed & barely legible for reading.

This is prime example of very, very poor corporate communications on NCL's part - with a focus on corporate profit and neglect on customer service excellence. None of the current week's BA CC'ers reported getting any email notifications prior to checking in for their cruise Sunday morning as we're getting off. But, NCL can email EVERYONE on their mailing list about the 4 days sail with 50% reduced deposit sale .... hurry up & book now, yada yada. It's called, to me, selective communications done in purpose and NOT a blanket failure to communicate, executed with clear intent, IMO.

[quote name='sfaaa']As distasteful ... I wouldn't get too hard on the NCL staff ... and they are given absolutely no leeway to maneuver ... to be in their shoes to get yelled at right now.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I got a very strange & awkward look from our BA steward and she also has the corner suite/Haven folks around the corner from us, poor souls taking a beating.

For anyone who doubts about the validity of these heads-up post from current pax while cruising, recent history speak for themselves - we all got better things to do than to spend/waste our expensive time & satellite internet access to post an alert, let alone try to upload graphics with high latency connectivity on the ship or from a foreign port - take it for what it is worth. This week's M&G on the BA has been held this morning & the ship arrived at Port Canaveral tomorrow at noon, I'm waiting for the fireworks by afternoon tea time here on CC and social media with more update, in time for April 1st.
[INDENT]The BA trial/pilot in "no reservations required for shows" is now permanent on the BA.
The 18% gratuity convenience for speciality is now official on the BA, and actually gone fleetwide & permanent.
The $7.95 RS delivery fee for convenience is a trail/pilot for the BA/GA for 2 sailings only ...
What's next - your guess is as good as mine, reasonable to assume that the worst is yet to come
[/INDENT]
Each & everytime, until social media sites/pages AND CC'ers vocalized & expressed outrage and dissatisfaction - NCL then give a boilerplated partial response, acknowledging that it has gone into effect. There is absolutely no good faith, good will and mutual trust/respect in rolling these changes out, with notifications or announcements on its official website about these key changes. It doesn't even have the decency and courtesy or professionalism of being a good corporate citizen in giving official notices - granted they MIGHT have the legal rights & well within their TOC/cruise contract's fineprints to do as they please - with that, DW & I as Platinum members sailing NCL for the past 15 years hereby tweeting our one finger "salute" to spread the news.

[quote name='debsjc']Are NCL legally allowed to state that room service is free, at the time people book, then change their minds after we have paid?

I would have thought that was false advertising, at best :confused:[/QUOTE]

If it's still going on on my ship (which I'm sure it will be), I guess my next letter should be to the BBB and FTC Who else regulates those things??? I'm sure NCL won't care but if enough people do it...

[quote name='sghetrick']I just received an email back from Norwegian social media:

"Hello Stacy

Thank you for reaching out! This service charge does not apply to Haven suites.

Thank you."[/QUOTE]

OK..BUT when it goes fleetwide (and it will)...is it still only haven or all suites????????

[quote name='jaja']OK..BUT when it goes fleetwide (and it will)...is it still only haven or all suites????????[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't think to ask about non haven suites. Unfortunately their not answering questions unless you email their social media dept.

[quote name='sghetrick']Sorry I didn't think to ask about non haven suites. Unfortunately their not answering questions unless you email their social media dept.[/quote]

All suites on BA and GA are Haven suites...

Since this pilot program is only running on those two ships (for now), there is currently no potential for other types of suites.

I have a partial solution to the convenience fee for room service. Bring a collapsible cooler to the buffet and fill it with lots of food to take back to your room. Have the steward empty your fridge and fill it with the pastries, yogurt and fruit you would normally have for room-service breakfast. You can even fill your home-brought mugs with cold drinks for later on in the day. Doesn't help with getting hot coffee, but maybe you can flip a coin with your room-mate(s) to see who goes up to the buffet with your oversized mugs and brings back the coffee! Edited by bjtravelnews

[quote name='triptolemus']All suites on BA and GA are Haven suites...

Since this pilot program is only running on those two ships (for now), there is currently no potential for other types of suites.[/QUOTE]

I realize that...but just looking ahead ;) I think, since it is safe to say it will go fleetwide, THEN will all suites be exempt or just Haven.? ....:confused:

I am assuming (stupid me:o),,that it would not affect suites..( ie butler served cabins). Of course, I am sure NCL will quickly clear this up for us :rolleyes: NOT!!!

[quote name='jaja']I realize that...but just looking ahead ;) I think, since it is safe to say it will go fleetwide, THEN will all suites be exempt or just Haven.? ....:confused:

I am assuming (stupid me:o),,that it would not affect suites..( ie butler served cabins). Of course, I am sure NCL will quickly clear this up for us :rolleyes: NOT!!![/quote]

I, too, would assume that all suites (Hx and Sx) would be unaffected by this.

If they are, that friggin' DSC is going to zero. I've had it... Edited by triptolemus

It seems hard for a lot of people to imagine their circumstance ever being different than where they are right now. My mom was 89 when she went on her first cruise with her daughter granddaughter and great grandchildren which she enjoyed immensely. But getting her breakfast room service was as almost a necessity in her case. There are many elderly people who can enjoy cruising when they are no longer able to enjoy many activities who are in her same situation.

[quote name='triptolemus']As stated several times, the only terms which are binding are contained in the Guest Ticket Contract[/QUOTE]

Wrong for those booking in the UK/EU statutory law stands first and foremost before any contract. And all contracts must adhere to UK/EU law (directive)

[quote name='SteveH2508']Maybe in the US, but on this side of the pond they are clearly in breach of the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Reg. 6 which carries a criminal penalty.

NCL (UK) Ltd. potentially have a problem.[/QUOTE]

Package holiday regulations 1992 come to mind

[COLOR="Red"]Descriptive matter relating to packages must not be misleading

4.—(1) No organiser or retailer shall supply to a consumer any descriptive matter concerning a package, the price of a package or any other conditions applying to the contract which contains any misleading information.

(2) If an organiser or retailer is in breach of paragraph (1) he shall be liable to compensate the consumer for any loss which the consumer suffers in consequence.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"][url]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/regulation/4/made[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Requirements as to brochures

5.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4) below, no organiser shall make available a brochure to a possible consumer unless it indicates in a legible, comprehensible and accurate manner the price and adequate information about the matters specified in Schedule 1 to these Regulations in respect of the packages offered for sale in the brochure to the extent that those matters are relevant to the packages so offered.

(2) Subject to paragraph (4) below, no retailer shall make available to a possible consumer a brochure which he knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not comply with the requirements of paragraph (1).

(3) An organiser who contravenes paragraph (1) of this regulation and a retailer who contravenes paragraph (2) thereof shall be guilty of an offence and liable:—

(a)on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale; and
(b)on conviction on indictment, to a fine.
(4) Where a brochure was first made available to consumers generally before 31st December 1992 no liability shall arise under this regulation in respect of an identical brochure being made available to a consumer at any time.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="black"][url]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/regulation/5/made[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="black"]
Contact ABTA for breach of code of conduct ABTA No. Y2687

[url]http://abta.com/go-travel/before-you-travel[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]All ABTA Members must abide by the Code, which means that, among many other things, you can expect to receive:

1. Accurate information so you can make an informed choice[/COLOR]

[COLOR="black"]A cruise of more than one night was proven to constitute a package holiday as it is both your mode of transport and your accommodation. The cruise lines have already tried and failed to prove it is not a package holiday

Now the information is out there anyone booking from now on has no come back but anyone in the UK/EU who booked before the trial or before the announcement of this charge going fleet wide(possibly) has a valid case[/COLOR]

[quote name='sghetrick']Sorry I didn't think to ask about non haven suites. Unfortunately their not answering questions unless you email their social media dept.[/quote]
Yes, I have been directed to email their social media team with my questions, or which I had several very particular, but concise, questions. I do suppose they are swamped today, or someone is running around the offices with their hair on fire trying to figure out what to say, so I will be patient and wait 24 - 48 hours for a response, but I do not have much faith that the social media team can adequately address my concerns. They do not set, and probably have zero say, in policy.

[quote name='sghetrick']I just received an email back from Norwegian social media:

"Hello Stacy

Thank you for reaching out! This service charge does not apply to Haven suites.

Thank you."[/QUOTE]

Of course not. The people with money to spare book there and are spoiled. Then there is the average person who is thrilled to even get a good deal and are the ones paying extra.

mking8288 made some very good points. How hard is it for NCL to announce their plans to implement changes in a press release or better yet--in endless e-mails like we receive daily telling us about the Freestyle Choice program and inviting us to book a cruise with them?

As far as the NCL customer service reps. and the onboard crew members, people shouldn't be too hard on them personally. After working for many years in customer service, I can tell you we had no control on what changes the corporate minds had put in place. These workers at the bottom of the pyramid are powerless and in many cases, just can give limited info. and scripted responses. The problem rests with the folks at the top.

I would have no problem if NCL was "testing" this premium menu while still offering the complimentary menu that they advertised when I booked my cruise. I also have no problem with them eventually phasing out the complimentary menu (although I would probably still start looking elsewhere at that point). What is absolutely absurd, misleading, false advertising and possibly fraudulent is to advertise that their ships come with free room service, allow people to book, collect a nonrefundable fare, and then change the rules for those people who have already paid. That is completely unacceptable for any business, they should be ashamed.

[quote name='nomad098']Wrong for those booking in the UK/EU statutory law stands first and foremost before any contract. And all contracts must adhere to UK/EU law (directive)

Package holiday regulations 1992 come to mind

[COLOR="Red"]Descriptive matter relating to packages must not be misleading

4.—(1) No organiser or retailer shall supply to a consumer any descriptive matter concerning a package, the price of a package or any other conditions applying to the contract which contains any misleading information.

(2) If an organiser or retailer is in breach of paragraph (1) he shall be liable to compensate the consumer for any loss which the consumer suffers in consequence.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"][url]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/regulation/4/made[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Requirements as to brochures

5.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4) below, no organiser shall make available a brochure to a possible consumer unless it indicates in a legible, comprehensible and accurate manner the price and adequate information about the matters specified in Schedule 1 to these Regulations in respect of the packages offered for sale in the brochure to the extent that those matters are relevant to the packages so offered.

(2) Subject to paragraph (4) below, no retailer shall make available to a possible consumer a brochure which he knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not comply with the requirements of paragraph (1).

(3) An organiser who contravenes paragraph (1) of this regulation and a retailer who contravenes paragraph (2) thereof shall be guilty of an offence and liable:—

(a)on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale; and
(b)on conviction on indictment, to a fine.
(4) Where a brochure was first made available to consumers generally before 31st December 1992 no liability shall arise under this regulation in respect of an identical brochure being made available to a consumer at any time.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="black"][url]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/regulation/5/made[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="black"]
Contact ABTA for breach of code of conduct ABTA No. Y2687

[url]http://abta.com/go-travel/before-you-travel[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]All ABTA Members must abide by the Code, which means that, among many other things, you can expect to receive:

1. Accurate information so you can make an informed choice[/COLOR]

[COLOR="black"]A cruise of more than one night was proven to constitute a package holiday as it is both your mode of transport and your accommodation. The cruise lines have already tried and failed to prove it is not a package holiday

Now the information is out there anyone booking from now on has no come back but anyone in the UK/EU who booked before the trial or before the announcement of this charge going fleet wide(possibly) has a valid case[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Many U.S. states have similarly worded consumer protection laws. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that NCL is on the right side of the law on this side of the pond either.

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Of course not. The people with money to spare book there and are spoiled. Then there is the average person who is thrilled to even get a good deal and are the ones paying extra.[/QUOTE]

Please don't allow "class envy" cloud your judgement. Those of us in suites are paying at least double (and sometimes triple) your fare. For that, we have pre paid for perks, extras, and special benefits.