Anyone bring a travel steamer on Quatum?

I have 2 questions for those who have been on the Quantum.

1) I know Travel clothes steamers are officially banned but many bring on board. Has anyone had trouble bringing one on board the Quantum?

2) How is the RFID luggage process working. Can you really track where your luggage is through the Royal IQ app?

Thanks for you responses...

1) my advise is: - do NOT try bringing a steamer on board. Can interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment !!

2) Supposed to work through iQ App - didn't work at my two cruises.

Don't bring a steamer (there is a reason they are not allowed), we use Downy Wrinkle Release for clothes that need to be touched up.

As far as tracking luggage, our bags registered on the Royal IQ. But it never let us know where our luggage was after we left it with the porter. Our cabin steward actually retrieved it for us….we had early dinner reservation that evening and wanted to freshen up.

It took over 6 hours to go from curb to our stateroom…..no complaints here. I understand that there was probably a few thousand pieces of luggage going on the ship.

In fact we had 3 cabins and all checked in about the same time (11 AM) and everyones luggage in our group showed up between 5-6 PM

Items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not allowed on a cruise ship - link to RCCL Onboard Policies

That is actually not true...curling iron, straightening irons and hair dryers are allowed and all produce heat and are all much more dangerous than a small travel steamer which does not have an exposed heating element. The reason they don't want you to bring a steamer on board is because they will lose revenues from their pressing service.

So back to my original question...are they enforcing the ban on small travel steamers on the Quantum?

Edited by Mythbuster

Don't bring a steamer (there is a reason they are not allowed), we use Downy Wrinkle Release for clothes that need to be touched up.

As far as tracking luggage, our bags registered on the Royal IQ. But it never let us know where our luggage was after we left it with the porter. Our cabin steward actually retrieved it for us….we had early dinner reservation that evening and wanted to freshen up.

It took over 6 hours to go from curb to our stateroom…..no complaints here. I understand that there was probably a few thousand pieces of luggage going on the ship.

In fact we had 3 cabins and all checked in about the same time (11 AM) and everyones luggage in our group showed up between 5-6 PM

Wrinkle release works WONDERS. Spray it, let it sit, then pull and voila!

That is actually not true...curling iron, straightening irons and hair dryers are allowed and all produce heat and are all much more dangerous than a small travel steamer which does not have an exposed heating element. The reason they don't want you to bring a steamer on board is because they will lose revenues from their pressing service.

So back to my original question...are they enforcing the ban on small travel steamers on the Quantum?

It is not the exposed heating element that causes fires it is the internal electronics that make steamers dangerous.

This was most certainly the case in the house fire that killed 7 children in Brooklyn just 2 weeks ago, among many others. This was the internal element in the hot plate and not the heat generated by the hot plate that caused the fire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/nyregion/7-children-die-in-brooklyn-fire.html?_r=0

4% of maritime fires are caused by electric appliances.

Edited by MADflyer

It is not the exposed heating element that causes fires it is the internal electronics that make steamers dangerous.

This was most certainly the case in the house fire that killed 7 children in Brooklyn just 2 weeks ago, among many others. This was the internal element in the hot plate and not the heat generated by the hot plate that caused the fire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/nyregion/7-children-die-in-brooklyn-fire.html?_r=0

4% of maritime fires are caused by electric appliances.

But the hot plate was being run 24/7, unmonitored; while a travel steamer is generally only run for a few minutes.

Let me know if heat producing appliances aren't being used by the crew. Do you think they are any more responsible than the passengers.:rolleyes:

If they are so dangerous, why aren't they banned by hotels?

But the hot plate was being run 24/7, unmonitored; while a travel steamer is generally only run for a few minutes.

Let me know if heat producing appliances aren't being used by the crew. Do you think they are any more responsible than the passengers.:rolleyes:

If they are so dangerous, why aren't they banned by hotels?

Yes. The internal part can go at any time if un-attended. The cruise line can not guarantee the responsible usage or manufacture of travel steamers.

I am not going to debate this issue.

Steamers are not allowed. They are not allowed for a reason.

Hotels have a little different situation when a fire actually occurs. The evacuation and potential for loss of life is not the same.

Yes. The internal part can go at any time if un-attended. The cruise line can not guarantee the responsible usage or manufacture of travel steamers.

I am not going to debate this issue.

Steamers are not allowed. They are not allowed for a reason.

Hotels have a little different situation when a fire actually occurs. The evacuation and potential for loss of life is not the same.

We've been cruising for 30 years and this is the first I ever heard of travel steamers being banned. I would bet 90% of the passengers aren't aware things like steamers, heating pads, scissors, and extension cords are banned items.

I think the cruise line should do a better job of publicizing what constitutes contraband.

My family and I used the Royal IQ app on the 3/21 Quantum sailing and it worked great for everything but the luggage tracking. I only tried it once and the app said there was no luggage for this account. The luggage showed up around 3:00, so I never checked again.

Mark.